“Eating in at Cloves” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Windsor
“Eating in at Cloves”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Cloves is a well presented restaurant with pleasant and friendly staff. First impressions are good. However as you get settled, you realise that you are in for a long haul! Service is painfully slow, even when there are less than 10 people in the restaurant. It leads me to believe that priority is given to take always and eat-in diners are an after thought. Service can also be frustrating with requests or orders forgotten. This is my experience after two visits, believing that the first was just an off night. The food was generally average. The first visit having been served a warm main course and the second visit having experienced some not so pleasant tasting chicken in my main course. On top of the service issues, a service charge of some 15% was automatically added on the bill, which was quite insulting. I guess I should asked for it to be removed, but I prefer to pay and vote with my feet. I will monitor reviews and feedback from friends and go may be go back when it has improved. I certainly would not have tipped. I, and my fellow diners were left dissatisfied and disappointed on both occassions, hence two star rating.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Indian takeaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I always use cloves when ordering a takeaway or delivery and they have never let us down. Great food and always have a smile on their face.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Cloves Restaurant, 85 Clewer Hill Road, Windsor - A friendly review!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was invited to Cloves restaurant by my friends las night (26/10/12)and was immediately enthused as I love visiting Indian restaurants with a name that does not start with 'Tandoori'! As we entered the restaurant, I noticed the modern decor with imaginative lighting and the frindly, welcoming, well spoken staff made me feel comfortable at once. Being a cookery writer, restaurant consultant and critic, I immediately related the modern interior and the friendly staff to imaginative food which would be beautifully presented. The service was attentintive and our drinks were served with no delay, but we had a considrable wait for our food to arrive. When it did arrive, we noticed that we did not get our full order, but we started on our meal thinking that the rest of the order must be on their way.

Both the scallops and the monk fish starters sounded appealing on the menu, but we were very disappointed with the size of the scallops and they were not juicy and succulent as they should be. They did taste and look like frozen scallops which usually lose their weight and texture on defrosting. The monk fish would have been wonderful had the chef cut them into bigger pieces. The spicing was good, but as the pieces were so tiny the fish had dried out. We then tucked into the tarka dhal which was wonderful with the earthiness of the lentils pefectly matched with the chosen seasoning spices. The okra was well cooked and did not have oil seeping through the vegetables, which unfortunately, so many restaurants seem to have. By this time my friends had to get up and go in order to find out what happened to our Peshawari naan and lamb bhuna. It appeared that they had forgotten about these two items! Eventually, they did arrive quite promptly. The sauce in the bhuna was well spiced, and again, I was pleased to see that there were no traces of extra oil. However, the meat was tough and tasted more like mutton than lamb. My friend was also very disappointed with his Peshawari naan and tandoori roti, the latter being almost raw. I did enjoy my chapatti!

Having said the above, I do appreciate that the restaurant is under new management, and it does take time to fine tune the food. Overall, it was a pleasant evening, and it was a refreshing change to see that we were not charged for the lamb bhuna and the Peshawari naan. That was a very fine gesture and it showed that the staff at Cloves take their customer care seriously. I have no doubt they will improve their food as time goes by and will establish themselves as a fine dining Indian restaurant, which Windsor really does need.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
uk
“lovely ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

dined here last Saturday after an afternoon at Ascot. Had researched on the internet and did well with this choice. The restauarnt is just outside Windsor and really in a residential area. Parking good. Lovely ambience and the service was great - but not too interfering. We had a great meal - scallops/onion bhagi starters/paneer and a hot chicken dish as main; 2 side meals and a bottle of wine for £40 but yes we did have a tastecard (free trial). Definitely recommend and absolutely would go back

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dubbo, Australia
“Best Indian Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

"Cloves" was recommended to us by our Bed & Breakfast host. It was only a five minute walk and it was a Sunday evening.
We always like to have at least one Indian restaurant meal each time we travel away on holidays.
The meal we had here was exceptional and the level of presentation, customer service and taste was exceptional. So important for any restaurant meal to be served on a nice hot plate and this was the case here. Good Food and Good Value
Can not recommend this establishment more highly. Well done.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere