“Afternoon tea” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
Newport, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My wife had been given a voucher for afternoon tea so we decided to use it on our visit to Windsor, and opted for the Harte & Garter. The hotel is in a nice spot. We had a window table so we could look out onto the main street. The restaurant itself is clean and nicely laid out and not cramped or stuffy. We didn’t have to wait long to be served a pot of tea, and were soon tucking into the food. There was a nice selection of sandwiches and a lovely looking display of cakes to choose from. They were all tasty and fresh, and much enjoyed. We would have preferred more sandwiches than cakes, but that’s just our preference. We accepted the offer of a second pot of tea, and enjoyed sitting there watching the busy street.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for posting a review and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable afternoon tea experience.
We have a wide selection of afternoon tea choices, but are more than happy to change these to suit each individual customer needs. So if you would like additional sandwiches instead of the cakes please ask a member of the team and this will be organised for you.

Andrew Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

A lovely fine 4* hotel with lots of lovely facilitys and more it includes: spa, wellness centre, swimming pool, spacious rooms, restaurant, parking, WIFI and much more! It is a lovely family friendly nice hotel. Lovely view from rooms aswell. close to shops and restaurants. "very nice hotel"!

Room Tip: see if you can get a picture of the room you want to chose. then you can make your option on which r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. The hotel does have a spa which includes a sauna, steam room, hydro spa and 5 treatment rooms. We unfortunately do not have a swimming pool. The hotel does not have on-site car parking, but there are numerous local car parks available and reception will be more than happy to provided details of the locations and costs. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to the area.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed over the weekend after booking a Groupon offer.

The hotel is in a fantastic location and is an absolutely ideal spot for exploring Windsor. Lovely views of the castle from the restaurant and all of the shops and bars are on the doorstep.

We stayed in a double room which was at the back of the hotel. There was no view from the window but the advantage of this was it was lovely and quiet. The room was spacious and clean. The beds and pillows were comfortable. We appreciated the free wi-fi. The hotel is a maze of corridors but is generally in a good state of repair for its age.

Dinner, breakfast and a bottle of wine were included in our package. The food was well cooked and there was a good selection for breakfast. Staff were all friendly and polite.

There is no car park and it would be helpful on the hotel's website to indicate the nearest car parks. We used one on Alma Road which was less than a 5 min walk and cost in the region of £15 for a 24 hour period. We used the electronic payment system, Parkmobile, so we didn't have to revisit the pay and display machine. This worked really well - download the app onto a smartphone or tablet before you visit or you can phone when you arrive.

All in all a fantastic place to stay for exploring the heart of Windsor and exceptional value for money on this offer.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time at the hotel. Thank you for your comments concerning car parking that I am sure will be useful to other guests. The hotel website is being update and I will ensure that the car park information is improved. The hotel reception can give full details of all of the car parks available in Windsor.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I organised this as a night away for my Husband for his birthday, First impressions of hotel were good, Nice room but not great view, I guess for the price we paid we wouldn't get one, The two course meal was quite good value for money, My husband enjoyed both courses, I thought the Chicken Curry was poor value for money with just 3 bits of chicken. However made up for it with an excellent breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review. I was pleased you enjoyed your bedroom. Only the front facing bedrooms at the hotel will have views of the Castle. If this is a requirement it is important to ensure that you book a castle facing bedroom . I was pleased that you thought the 2 course meal was good value for money. I will review with the chef your comments concerning the chicken curry. I am glad that you had an excellent breakfast and hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Windsor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

If the general manager spent more time front of house ensuring that the standards of service were to the level of a 4 star hotel, rather than writing long diatribes apologising to everyone that writes a review on tripadvisor complaining about the lousy foodservice operation, then perhaps he would not need to advise all and sundry that he will implement additional training.

went here for afternoon tea on Tuesday of this week, sat for 15 minutes without anyone coming near us, and then got up and left and went to the Cinammon Cafe in the station!

Room Tip: Stay at the Mercure, or even Holiday Inn express
Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Bdownie
Please accept my sincere apologies and I would appreciate if you could contact me on email:gm.harteandgarter@akkeronhotels.com
I do spend time on the floor and am more than willing to speak to any guest whether the comment is positive or negative. Please ask to speak to me as feedback at the time rather than days afterwards means I can take immediate action and know who was on duty at the time and that the complaint or compliment is genuine. I can then deal with the team members concerned with real feedback and improve the levels of service that we offer at the hotel.
I look forward to hearing from you so I can investigate this further.

Marlow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I took my husband for Afternoon Tea at the Harte and Garter Hotel, on Thursday afternoon. We walked into the main reception where we were told to go to the restaurant, where someone would attend to us Once in the restaurant we waited for some minutes before a member of staff pointed out 2 tables and asked us to go and sit at the one we preferred. We had a voucher to use, and i handed this over. Shortly after the tea arrived, It was placed on the table with little care and we were told if we wanted more tea to shout. This experience had been advertised as an afternoon of indulgence, but it was not special in any way. Tea bags were used, the cakes and pastries were not explained and the scones were cold. No one came to check if everything was alright, and we had to call for re tea. When we had finished we asked if we could take the remainder of the cakes home, and they were placed in tin foil as the waitress said she was sorry but there were no boxes. The food was ok, but the service was poor. There were 2 women at the table next door who received the same standard of service as us. We had taken a day off work to have a wonderful experience, and were very disappointed. When we had finished, no one came to say goodbye, ask for feedback or request a tip - it felt very odd, as we just walked out of the door. I have been unable to find an e mail address via the hotel website to contact the hotel manager to complain.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I am very disappointed by your comments and would like to discuss your experience with you personally. My e-mail address is:gm.harteandgarter@akkeronhotels.com I would appreciate your time to give me your feedback so that I can review who was on shift at the time of your visit and then take the appropriate action.

derby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Good value for money if you get a deal. My partner thought it was noisy and didn't sleep well. Breakfast was traditional and quite nice. Hotel is in a fantastic location opposite the castle. Room service food was quite good but look out for the service charge which is automatically added to the bill.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your comments and I was pleased that you felt your stay was good value for money. As a city centre location some rooms can be affected by street noise. If you require a quiet room please request an internal facing bedroom. We do add a service charge, but this is at the discretion of all customers and will be taken off of your bill if requested. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Andrew Lee

Been to Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!