“Unmet expectation of "high tea" in England.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 20% OFF
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
Mansfield, La
“Unmet expectation of "high tea" in England.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

While visiting Windsor Castle we thought we should experience high tea. The restaurant at the Harte and Garter Hotel offered a pricey "high tea" with scones, clotted cream , tea sandwiches etc . Service was poor, and slow for a restaurant that was not busy. Food quality wAs less than impressive. They used paper napkins....really? All for £19.00 per person. (my husband does not need this information.) Up until this point the service and food has been exceptional in London. Loved Windsor Castle and the town of Windsor..... Other places did offer high tea but we just selected the the wrong place.

Room Tip: Get more than 1 opinion.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I am sorry to read of your disappointment relating to our food offering which I have brought to the attention of our Restaurant Manager.
One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your valued feedback.

The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Chestertown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went straight from Heathrow to Windsor and were welcomed at the Harte and Garter, though check-in time was not for several hours. It is located in the heart of the town, right across from the entrance to Windsor Castle and near pubs, shopping, and other attractions. The rooms were comfortable, the staff exceptional.

Room Tip: the rooms in front have a better view of the Castle, but more street noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience. In particular, we would like to thank you very much for your kind comments regarding our staff; we take a lot of pride in the service we deliver here at the Harte and Garter, and we are delighted that this aspect of your visit stood out for you.
Thank you very much once again for your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

From the moment we walked in to the second we left we were made to feel welcome and nothing was to much bother.
We had a view overlooking the castle which my husband enjoyed watching the hustle and bustle of Windsor while I got reay for our night out (normally he waits in a hotel bar).We had drinks in the bar before our meal and the service was very professional. We didnt eat our dinner here but had the beautiful breakfast in the morning with piping hot tea....a winner in my books !!!
Definately would return and definately would try the Spa as looked divine

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Harte and Garter hotel and spa. I hope it was everything you expected and more. Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope that next time you visit Windsor we will still be your first stop.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Upon arrival we learned that there is no parking at the hotel, whether this was down to us not researching enough or the hotel not advertising the fact I don’t know, but help unloading the car had to be requested rather than offered and the car park some 500 meters away is extortionate at £20 a day. To make matters worse you have to be back at the car at 9am to top up the parking meter as you can’t pre pay, the parking attendants were there before me at 0845am waiting like vultures. If you’re hoping for a relaxing morning forget that. Later at dinner the staff were in the main terrible with one waitress when asked "how are you" replied "not good" and never once smiled, we had two cold dishes, one having to be sent back and the pate came out on Hovis white sliced bread. The wine (£23) looked like a £2.50 bottle from Lidl, in fact I’m sure it was. I would not eat here again - ever. The spa is ok but very small indeed - the facilities were ok ish, pretty dirty and the walk from the hotel is along a dark alley with rat traps against the wall. We noticed people complaining the whole time we were there, in the hotel and spa. The manager of the hotel was very good but the rest of his staff let the hotel down badly, with its location it could be great but it is far from it.

Room Tip: Just don't say here - find somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. Needless to say, I'm disappointed to hear that we failed to meet your expectations in food and beverage on this occasion.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and would like to assure you that we have taken appropriate actions so that this situation never happens again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed with my partner for 2 nights, a mini break to treat ourselves. The location could not be better right opposite Windsor castle. We had room 109 and it was fantastic, really comfy bed.
We treated ourselves to a cream tea in the hotel and couldnt believe what great value it was
Staff really friendly and helped us with directions and transport- we will defenitely be back-oh and if you like that sort of thing, we got the best mojito weve had in years

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience. We always strive to deliver a great experience for all our customers so your review is greatly appreciated.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for one night over the May bank holiday. We got a good deal on a website that included breakfast and a late checkout for 2pm. On arrival, we walked into the lobby which is quite nice and chic modern. We were greeted by a less than enthusiastic receptionist (very much so "computer says no" type person). We checked in and headed up to our room. Was quite surprised at how lovely our room (303) was, looked out onto the castle and was nicely decorated. A few cons about the room; bathroom had a really low ceiling so much so that my BF had to have a bath as he could not stand in shower, there were no face cloths which I think you should get in every hotel, the kettle was situated in a place were you could not plug it in so I had to leave it on the ground plugged into a lower socket.

Anyway, we went out shopping and arrived back at about 5pm. Decided to see if we could book into the restaurant in the hotel (The Tower). The waiter said "no no no...we have no room for 2 later on as we have a group of 60 to 70 coming in" at said time 8pm. I found him quite rude! So we decided to ask the receptionist for a recommendation to the reply of "I don't know, I don't live here"....She kind of laughed it off. I have worked in hotels before and it is in the best interest of the staff to educate themselves on surrounding restaurants etc...

It hit 8pm, walked downstairs to go and find a place to eat and we looked into the restaurant that was apparently booked out to the sight of about 3 tables of two seated. We walked in and were seated by a waitress. The couple beside us were making a complaint to the waitress about the food which didn't restore any faith in us so we decided to leave. The couple beside us said it was a good choice as the food is minimal and overpriced. Before we left the hotel that night I wanted to fill out a breakfast menu for breakfast in bed the next morning. So I headed over to the "enthusiastic" receptionist and asked her a few questions about the choices on the menu as I was a bit confused by it (it wasn't very clear). Surprise surprise, she couldn't advise me on my confusion, nor did she go and ask anyone from the restaurant for some advice....yet again she just laughed at us!

Morning time! Breakfast arrived. The guy who delivered it walked in and said "i'll leave it here"....on the bed??!! Strange as there is a tray table you can sit it on...then we discovered there was no tea or toast with it....5 mins later it arrives. Then we discover the fruit we ordered wasn't there....arrived 5 mins later. We weren't even told that it was on the way on each occasion. Really, really poor. Breakfast was awful, not fresh, hard bacon, cold toast&tea.....

Check out time. I knew it wasn't going to be easy.....the same receptionist we had dealt with for the past 24 hours we were there was checking us out. Handed over the key card and she says "you just need to pay for the Spa treatment of £30". I told her I was not in the Spa to the reply of a head shake and a tut tut!! Seriously, this hotel could be a gem if they trained their staff in basic manners. The staff that we came across were highly unprofessional, not helpful and very rude.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel, my sincere apologies for the shortcomings with your stay.

It is especially disappointing that the service was not to the standard which we strive to deliver. Whilst we have had some new employees join our front desk / restaurant team recently, I can assure you they had received training and will continue to do so as they settle in to their new roles. I do however accept that this should not have impacted on the service you received and as a result of your feedback; we will review the individual team requirements to ensure they consistently deliver to the standards we expect of ourselves.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in May 2013 and was very disappointed. Sink was blocked and called reception to sort it but was told as its Saturday, the maintenance team don't work and will be looked at on Monday. I was offered to change the room which I was not prepared to do as my wife is over 6 months pregnant. I also constantly had to remind them to replace the loo roll. You would expect these would be replaced regularly as its basic everyday items...but no! Eventually someone came and tried but no luck-the sink was blocked and the water was going down really slowly! In the end I gave up!
Remember to take your toothpaste too- if you're like me and forget it, when you call reception you will be told its been locked up by the house keeping team so we can't provide any! Once again a basic everyday item. I don't think I would return to the hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013
Patrick D, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
I am sorry to read your disappointment relating to certain aspects of your stay. I can assure you that your comments have been discussed with the respective departments.

As it is valuable feedback like this which helps us identify areas for improvement, raise standards and provide a better experience for all our guests.

Thank you for your valued feedback.

The Management Team

Been to Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!