“Excellent hotel and superb customer service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and superb customer service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here for one night before catching an early flight to the state in December 2012. I booked this with Holiday Inn loyatly points so wouldn't have been too bothered if it had been bad - but I was more than pleasantly surpirsed. When we arrived we were told that the car park had been flooded due to the awful weather, however the receptionist was quick to sort us out with somewhere else to park - well done Holiday Inn!
The hotel is almost brand new and quite nice. We went to check in and the receptionist was lovely, asking us about our holiday and talking to the children - she was a total pleasure and nothing was too much for her.
We didn't eat in the hotel but found a nice chinese place close by that was recommended by the staff. On entering our room we found that the children's beds hadn't been made up but a quick call to the front desk had this solved within the hour.
The rooms are basic but fully functional: tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer and the best shower i think I have ever been in.
The hotel was also not noisy even though it was backed by a police station and a busy road.
Overall this was a great stay in a lovely hotel.....the best thing about it was the staff - I would visit again just for the customer service!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMHIEXWindsor, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express WINDSOR, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Windsor.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I shall pass your comments on to the team here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Karen A. Johnston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

BAD: Months after "opening", this hotel still has no parking. If you are coming to Windsor on foot, spring through fall, then this is the place for you! (But read on.) They have been saying for months the carpark would be ready when YOU arrive but it isn't, no one is working on it, and there are no signs it will be addressed for months. There are only a couple of non-meter spots on the street and they are always full (staff perhaps?). The staff is not the least bit helpful about this! In fact, downright indignant at times and not trying in any way to resolve. No accountability for the fact that they are taking bokings without a functional hotel. (If I could walk here, I wouldn't need a bloody hotel!)
I am staying in this hotel now, and when we checked in the rooms were freezing. No amount of fiddling with the thermostat made a difference. Hours later, I was still sitting in the room weraing thermal underwear, many layers, hoodie, etc and shivering. Many of my colleagues had the same issue that night. Moving to new rooms made no difference.
The heat has been functioning properly since.
Food service is spotty..very slow, even by British standards, and often out of stock on items.
Housekeeping seems to be limited to emptying trash cans and straightening sheets. A clearly dirty pillow that was on bed when I arrived and thrown off keeps getting placed back on bed each day--not cleaned or replaced. My hair shavings have been on the bathroom floor for days despite being CLEARLY obvious. Perhaps they are employing the blind?
GOOD- new decor, free wi-fi (though you need a new code from the desk every 24 hrs), in walking distance to all central Windsor sights, shops, food. Lots of power outlets. Bar in lobby. That's it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Windsor.

I was extremely disappointed to see that we had failed to meet your expectations during your stay with us at the hotel recently.

The car park certainly continues to be a concern and we really do hope to have this excellent facility open and available for our guests as soon as we possibly can.

The heating has since been fixed and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have also addressed, with the team, your feedback regarding service of evening meals and also the standards of cleanliness delivered by our Housekeeping team.

I sincerely apologise for any upset or inconvenience caused and really hope this will not deter you from staying at the hotel in the future so that we may have the chance to restore your faith in the service and facilities we offer.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel, should you wish to discuss this further.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in the hotel over Christmas while visiting family. Back in September 2012, my husband called into the hotel and booked and paid for 2 rooms for 3 nights .......including a disabled room for our elderly mother and , although they could not promise the underground car park would be ready, they assured us of the use of one disabled parking space outside.
I called into the hotel personally again in November to check the reservation and, in particular, the disabled room for my mother in law. We finally arrived on Christmas Eve mid afternoon to be told casually that they were very sorry but all 3 disabled rooms had been allocated by mistake to other guests. The car park was still not ready ( apparently it will always be liable to flooding and they could not risk opening it...) and the one disabled car space outside was taken by a car with no visible disabled badge .)
The attitude of the reception staff was bizarre.....not rude but rather vacant as if none of the problems could be avoided because the hotel was new. After a heated exchange they did agree to refund one night of my mother in law's 3- night stay. ( We have since discovered that they have refunded less than the price of one night and we will have to spend time dealing with that on a point of principle.)
The rooms are extremely clean and spacious but I could not believe that there is no proper wardrobe...just several hangers attached to an open shelf..rather like hangers for outdoor coats.
There are no drawers for underwear, jumpers etc...just one oddly shaped shelf under the computer desk. I was so shocked I called back at reception to ask if this was a mistake and if there were rooms with wardrobes and clothing space. The receptionist said all the rooms were the same and the hotel was receiving endless complaints about this...and that she herself thought it was a very strange design.
Also no hooks anywhere in the bathroom or bedroom door.As it was Christmas we really struggled with clothes and kept most of them in our suitcases..horrible!
The service was very poor....breakfast at weekends is until 10:00 am but on Christmas Day it ended as any normal day at 09:30. No notice of the times at all and we, and another couple, arrived a little late. I asked if my elderly mother in law could have some fruit ...which was just being put away... and was told NO! How pleasant for a Christmas morning!
I could go on....there is a serious problem in this hotel. When I spoke with the assistant manager as we were leaving he was brusque and offhand ...his response was that
" The Holiday Inn Express in Windsor is a limited service hotel!" Well at least he was honest....understatement of the year. At £80 a night a very limited service deal !
Be careful if you are looking for a relaxed hotel to enjoy the area around Windsor...there are far better hotels which offer better value for money and are more centrally located. This is not an easy location .....the car park is still not operational and parking around the hotel requires purchased vouchers - also the hotel is right opposite the Windsor police station .

After leaving the hotel , we took a ferry to Calais where we stayed overnight in an Ibis Hotel , en route to New Year in France. This was cheaper than the Windsor Holiday Inn Express..... And although arriving late, we received a delightfully warm welcome .....the room was pleasant with a proper wardrobe, a flight of shelves for clothes and hooks everywhere. On prominent display was a card which promised, in BOLD letters a 15-minute guarantee......that if any problem was not resolved within 15 minutes the stay would be free.
At least we had not lost our sense of humour and it made us both smile!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Windsor.

I was deeply concerned to read the comments you have posted and please can I ask you to contact myself or David Glasper at the hotel directly so that we may discuss your concerns fully with you?
I am so sorry, that over what should have been a special and relaxing time of the year, you were left feeling disappointed with the service and facilities that we offer.

I really hope to hear from you soon.

London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very modern and clean hotel with great shower. Car park was flooded but able to park in very quiet road at side of hotel. Some road noise but not problematic for sleeping and a room at rear of hotel can be requested.

Check in ran smoothly, check out was made disappointing by insolent and disrespectful so-called manager who thought he was a rather more important individual than he is. Needs an urgent course in humility and customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for rear of hotel and not on ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Windsor.

I was pleased to see that you found the hotel to be modern, clean and comfortable.

I was however, really disappointed to read the comments regarding the 'manager' on check-out and I would really appreciate it if you could contact me at the hotel directly, so that I may get a bit more information from you? In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies for any upset this may have caused.

I really hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, when I am sure we will restore your faith in the customer service that we offer.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed with my friend in new-year eve twin room
Room is ok is not iron board in the room so we called the reception for one thy ask me to come picket up
Bar men Andrea very rood I asked him what time the breakfast next day he said breakfast finish 9.30 so I said is new year eve and the breakfast finish early he said yes finish early he was very angry
We back at 6.00pm for dinner a nice receptionist took the order from us we been waiting for the food in the bar after half an hour Andrea he bring the food and he pouted in restaurant table and he said is ready I hade lamb and my friend risotto is no sauce in my lamb so I ask for mint sauce and he answer is no mint sauce
No one come check if the food was ok all of that and the restaurant was not busy
Breakfast was ok a breakfast waitress was very friendly

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter my room view was the police statoin
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Windsor.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us, however I shall address the comments you have made regarding the evening restaurant staff and service. Please accept my apologies for any upset this may have caused.

I really hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, when I am sure we shall restore your faith in the service we offer.

Arroyo Grande, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My original stay in Windsor was supposed to be at another location, but my room was given to someone else. Finding myself stranded in the rain, I noticed up the street the Holiday Inn Express. Hoping they had an available room, I was in luck. They did have a room and on the ground floor as I hoped. And it was reasonably priced. My stay was eight days in mid December. Although the room was rather small, it was comfortable. For some reason the room was missing the remote for TV, after calling the desk a remote was shortly delivered to my room. Other positive features of the hotel: They had satisfying breakfast selections, a limited dinner menu, but with tasty selections--I tried almost everything on the menu during my stay, and a full-service bar. The staff are very hospitable.

Room Tip: The hotel has a lift.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Windsor.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for one night in early December. The car park was closed due to flooding so had to use the pay and display in Windsor town centre which was a 10 min walk away.

Room itself was on the small side with little storage but fine for a one night stay. Was in a twin room with two single beds which were a little close but all in the room was clean quiet and had team and coffee which was a bonus. Bathroom was a good size with large shower and plenty of towels.

You could only have food in the restaurant which was a bit expensive but the breakfast was provided and had good variety but the bread products were a bit hard.

All in all a nice hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Windsor.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us and I shall pass your comments on to the team. Thank you for the very valuable feedback regarding our dining options and with regard to the car park, we hope to have this excellent facility open and available for our guests to use as soon as possible.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Karen A. Johnston

Been to Holiday Inn Express WINDSOR? Share your experiences!