“A royal experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
USA
“A royal experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

This perfectly located hotel made my stay in Windsor an exceptional experience. The bedrooms were impeccably clean, the modern bathrooms were stocked with plush towels and toiletries, the work area was comfortable, and the internet was easy to access. I also have to mention the friendly staff. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Greek first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

We stayed in this sumptious hotel on New Years Eve. It was a pleasure to stay here. The rooms are extremely well appointed and have been very tastefully decorated - very plush indeed. The staff here are exceptional. We were greeted by smiling reception staff (very rare) and after only being in our room a couple a minutes we had a phone call from reception to enquire if our room was satisfactionary or if there was anything they could help us with - this is the first time we have had this experience and we have stayed in many hotels - very nice touch. The breakfast is also served by very obliging staff and the food is very good and plenty of it. Overall I would thoroughly recommend staying at this wonderful hotel if only to experiece the wonderful staff attention.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

This was a lovely hotel. Nice modern decor. Excellent size room- comfortable bed- best sleep I have had in a long time, nice and quiet in rooms no sound of other guests etc.

Location is excellent for seeing windsor with local bars and good shops all within walking distance as well as the castle.

The staff were all very friendly and the service in the restaurant was very good and the food lovely. The menu deal of £20 for 3 courses was excellent value for money but mainained a high standard of food. The breakfast too was lovely and again a good service throughout!

There is a charge for parking at the hotel 22 pounds but considering trains are a lot nowadays I felt this was reasonable and I knew my car was safe there.

I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone, we came away feeling very relaxed and I am going to definately be returing there again

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Dear Carolinebombaroline,

I was delighted to read your review and learn that you had such an enjoyable stay and a restful nights sleep.

The team endeavour to go out of their way to offer the highest level of service and comfort so it is extremely encouraging for them to receive such positive feedback.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your personal experience to our attention.

Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for five nights, while attending a business meeting, in a couple of the conference rooms, within the same hotel

Good:
- Great location - directly in front of Windsor Castle
- Brand-spanking new hotel, with good decor in the lobby; rooms are comfortable and of decent size, by European standards;
- Bathroom - very nice; shower is wonderful

Bad:
- TV had too few channels; many channels were pixelated, over the span of two days;
- No hot water one morning - no apologies or notification were given by staff
- Car Park: very expensive parking; I was given a five-minute lecture by the valet about parking my car without notifying him and not providing him my car keys; I entered the car park, on Sunday night, when there was no valet available, by contacting the front desk (they opened the gates), parked my car, and left it there for the next three days; as I was leaving the car park, the valet approached me and told me the dangers of leaving a car in a car park (possible petrol leak); I had to control my anger, as this kid continued to lecture me, in an arrogant and loud tone; I listened to him and moved on with life
- Lunch at restaurant - extremely small portions; complained about it the first day and were promised it would be remedied; but, the second day had the same portions
- Toiletries - very stingy about replacing toiletries, specifically soap; had to use the same soap bar for the 4 nights and the same washing liquid
- Bed - generally comfortable, but there was no sheet to cover oneself; there was only a duvet; if you felt hot, there was no other sheet, just the sheet to cover the mattress
- Staff - cordial; but they were all very young and inexperienced; they were panic-stricken and overhelmed one morning when the hotel was fully occupied; in the breakfast room, ti took them 12 minutes to bring 4 slices of toast; front desk staff could not handle guest requests, in an organized manner

Over time, I'm sure this hotel will improve upon it's services; but, for now, it is falling short of the service one expects from a hotel charging these daily rates.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear Travelclient,

Thank you for such a constructive review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, particularly the hotel decor, bedroom comfort and bathroom. I was however extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service aspects of your stay. Please be assured that your comments have been taken into consideration as part of our continual improvement plan to ensure that any similar lapses in our usually high standards could not be repeated.

Do contact me directly if you are visiting Windsor in the future and I will be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Stayed on a leisure trip for one night in classic room. The hotel seems new but is decorated to a very high standard. Location is excellent right opposite the castle. The room was warm and the bed exceptionally comfortable. We had some snagging issues such as a cracked sink and a tap that literally exploded soaking the room and me twice, but compensation was made. The receptionist was pretty poor for this standard of hotel but overall I would recommend this hotel as I'm sure the issues are down to some teething problems. Would use again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Jaspar050,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a constructive review.

May I reiterate the teams sincere apology for the maintenance faults you experienced and thank you for your understanding in this matter. Please be assured that your comments have been taken into consideration as part of our continual improvement plan.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the very near future.

Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

The lobby, bar and restaurant areas are warm and welcoming; the floorplan, quality furniture and furnishings and subtle artistic touches very professionally designed and beautifully finished. The professional attention to detail in quality and finish is reflected too in the well appointed, comfortable, very functional and ultra clean bedrooms and their bathrooms. Service during our stay was of the highest quaity; warm, sincere and very attentive without being invasive, the staff happy to assist even in situations where they were not necessarily directly responsible. The F&B areas are a highlight, the hotel's only restaurant, Caleys, boasting a well balanced menu of seriously good, inteernational quality, respectably portioned value-priced contemporary and traditional dishes that easliy places it in the "top five restaurants in Windsor" category. The most suprising aspect of the stay was the overall cost of our three nights accommodation and two dinners at Caley's. Considering the hotel and resort chain's well deserved reputation for luxury, location and the quality of service, rooms, food and facilities, a stay and meal at the Macdonald Windsor represents exceptional value for money.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear Prangus,

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a positive review of the hotel. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed the location, decor, food and the service you received.

All feedback is passed on to the teams as they are encouraged to recieve it and it helps us to continue to offer the high standard of service our guests expect and deserve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

I thought I was having a quiet dinner with my husband; instead my birthday treat turned out to be a big surprise with a visit from family and friends, all of whom were able to stay the night and enjoy the luxurious surroundings. Staff were very attentive, the room was extremely comfortable , and if 'you don't get out much' it was a touch of luxury to be remembered forever! Great to have access to the bar throughout the evening...residents only, of course.The room service was very efficient and the waiters at dinner were smart yet friendly. A non-smokers' paradise, as no one can smoke in the hotel. Lovely colour scheme...it even matched my apparel for the evening... The hotel is ideally placed in Windsor, even if the 'neighbours' at the castle across the road leave their lights on! I would love to stay here when there is a parade or a royal occasion... wonder if it is booked up around April 29th?...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Queenie020,

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and surprise birthday party!

Please be assured that I will be passing your feedback to the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your comments with us - and do get in touch with our reservations team on 0844 879 9101 about our availability and offers over the Easter break.

Beverley Molmans

Been to Macdonald Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!