“So frustrating” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
London, United Kingdom
“So frustrating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

What great design, great location and good food.
I so wish all of the staff could understand me. Some of the restaurant and reception staff were almost impossible to communicate with.
After seeing all the great reviews I was so looking forward to my visit, but it was not the stay I hoped for.
We asked for help with our luggage and a member of staff actually lost it between the room and the rear of the hotel.
Please improve your customer service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear BenWales234

It was with great concern that I received your review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with your stay. On receiving your feedback, I have completed a full investigation into your comments with the team, who have asked especially to be associated with my apology.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor in order that we may restore your confidence in the hotel. Please do contact me directly should you be planning to return and I will be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you.

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Greek first
Stamford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just returned from a 3 day break in Windsor staying at the MacDonald Hotel.

I felt I had to take 5 minutes to compliment the company and all of it's staff on absolutely superb service and fabulous hotel experience.

From the valet at the entrance to the car park to the lady on reception on check-out the service was 1st class. Can't remember the last time I was so impressed by hotel / service staff on such a scale. Every single member of staff were attentive, smiling, polite and nothing was too much trouble. Well done everyone. Very professional.

In addition our party of 12 all really like the hotels décor, rooms, bar area and so on. Couldn't recommend it high enough for anyone thinking of visiting Windsor for a few days. The location has already been highlighted in earlier reviews and really is perfect for food, bars. touring etc.

The MacDonald has secured themselves 12 new customers and I've no doubt the many (if not all) will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Graeme H

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoy your visit, in particular the service from the team, location, food and design. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had a truly wonderful two nights here. Being only across the road from Windsor castle it is ideally situated. The hotel staff were amazing and very approachable, and nothing was too much trouble. They appeared to have the quickest room service of anywhere i've been. The bedroom was spacious and clean, the bed so comfortable, bathroom had a walk in shower which i thought was fabulous. Not too much space for clothes, but hey, i'm only here for two nights. The food in the restaurant for the evening meal, i enjoyed immensely and was presented very well. The buffet breakfast had more than enough to satisfy most peoples tastes. As i said earlier ideally placed with several attractions close by. As well as the castle, yes the queen was resident during our weekend, but declined to make an appearance for us. The Thames and it's boat trips, The theatre also near, a park within decent walking and a shopping mall. Also well within reach are both Legoland and Thorpe park. Only drawback for me was the constant noise of the planes above as Windsor is in direct flight path of Heathrow. Would it stop me going back, not a chance, as i had a truly wonderful time made mostly by this hotel and it's staff

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark D

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our location.

It is great to know that the team looked after you well - we look forward to welcoming you back!

Peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Restaurant staff need training properly: breakfast was haphazard at best, dinner somewhat better; otherwise a pretty good hotel in a good location. Rooms were reasonably well appointed though the interior designer of the bedrooms had obviously limited experience of staying in hotels: why was the overly-complicated Yale room safe located at floor level? - just impossible to use - and why such limited clothes storage space? - only two small drawers and two high shelves: wholly impractical. The one excellent point was the friendiliness and courtesy of the reception staff: first rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if that is what you want.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Uptheante

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay overall, however may I apologise for your disappointment the service you experienced at breakfast and some of the room amenities. I would like to assure you that your comments will be reviewed at our weekly departmental management meeting so that any similar lapses in our usually high standards could not be repeated.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was my second trip staying at the Macdonald Windsor and again I was very pleased with the entire experience. The staff members are professional, friendly and gracious, the room is furnished well, great beds and very clean.

The restaurant and bar serve dishes and drinks that are well prepared and very tasty. I ordered "off the menu" for dinner and had a delightful meal! Breakfast is very well done and the coffeee is good!

Great Stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear KDJ3125

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you felt so well looked after by the team!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Witney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked a Friday and Saturday night in May for my Wife's Birthday. We have stayed in many hotels in the UK and abroad and I can quite honestly say this is the best hotel I have stayed in. The classic double room was very spacious, comfortable and modern. The entire hotel was spotlessly clean. However, the best part of the hotel was the staff. Every member of staff from reception to the maids were so friendly and professional and couldn't do enough for us which sadly is vary rare these days. We parked our car at the hotel and although a little expensive it was well worth it. They even cleaned our windscreen before bringing the car up to us which was a nice touch. If we ever visit Windsor again we will book this hotel without a doubt.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul W

I was pleased to note that you enjoy your visit, in particular your room and the service from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay,from the moment we entered the car park and shown to the reception area the staff were wonderful.It was a cold rainy day and we were able to check in to our beautiful room with a side view of the castle and a good view over the house tops to the countryside beyond. We ate in the restaurant at night and could not fault the service and the meal was excellent,only downside was the room was a little cold with the air conditioners running.Breakfast was excellent,lots of choice.As car parking is not good in Windsor we were happy to use the hotel valet service and they let us stay a couple of hours over our 24hrs.Another nice touch.We will recommend this hotel to our friends and family and hope to return again soon.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian T

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you well and you enjoyed your dinner, breakfast and your parking experience.

Thank you for the recommendation - we look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Beverley Molmans

Been to Macdonald Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!