“Nice hotel, rubbish parking” 3 of 5 stars

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 High Street, Windsor SL4 1LH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, rubbish parking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Really stylish hotel with attractive lobby and bar. Location is great right opposite castle entrance. Rooms are ok but not amazing, quite small for the price and double beds in upgraded rooms? No bath and our shower didn't work properly. Overnight parking at the hotel is £25 which sounds crazy but isn't uncompetitive for Windsor. However valets insist on parking/collecting your car for you and they keep you waiting for ages!! At least 15 minutes dropping off and 20 minutes collecting were wasted because we couldn't simply get our car ourselves. This needs dealing with since it's customers' first and last impression of the hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Ben K

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, especially the decor and location.

I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the valet parking and will be reviewing this with the team. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Greek first
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just returned from three nights in the MacDonald hotel Windsor . It's like the Tardis from the main road as the entrance is the size of a shop front but once inside it's massive. So up market and modern.
Lovely rooms well equipped and free WiFi . Just over thebroad from the castle.
I totally recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Just enjoy it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kevinaustin

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed the decor, location and your bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Usually stay at the Harte and Garter but decided to give this hotel a try because my brother was having a 40th birthday party in the hotel. So pleased we did, the staff are lovely, very friendly, helpful and not in your space all the time but seem to appear when you need them. We booked an executive suite and it was really nice right down to the fresh ground coffee in the room which myself and hubby love, yes the drinks can be a little on the pricey side but when you are staying in such a nice hotel you have to expect this. I now do not need an excuse to stay at this hotel, I will be going back because I love it not just because we have a family occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front, lovely view of the castle.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear michelle s

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear about your positive experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We recently stayed for one night as one of my relatives were celebrating his birthday at the Hotel. Check in was very quick and the staff were very helpful. The room was lovely and clean and i had a great nights sleep. My room overlooked a small secluded patio with rooms across the way. We had to have the curtains closed as you was able to look into our room. My relative hired out the function room at the hotel and the food was delicious, i had a great night and the staff was also keen to help.
Breakfast was a let down. Waited 45 mins for our cooked breakfast when we was told it was a 10-15 min wait. Tables that had ordered their breakfast after myself and my husband were recieving their cooked breakfast before us. When it eventually came it wasn't the best and left most of it .I would definately recommend this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear adele141

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the helpfulness of the team, however may I apologise for your disappointment with your breakfast experience. I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards and I have discussed your feedback with our Restaurant Manager and Head Chef who have asked especially to be associated with my apology. A programme of retraining has been completed with the team to ensure that any future disappointment could not be repeated.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Excellent in every aspect. Nice clean room, comfourtable bed, very quiet, delicious breakfast, service . Excellent location , bus stop to legoland across the road, castle entrance the same. I would definately go again.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear dkoum666

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our location and your breakfast experience.

It is great to know that you will return - we look forward to welcoming you.

Libertyville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently stated here for 2 nights. This is a relatively new hotel built in a former department store. We were there with a large number of other couples and the lobby was cozy and an ideal gathering place throughout the weekend.

The rooms were nice "American Style" rooms. The hotel was a good value and I particularly liked the free wi-fi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear indiabound826

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Found the hotel easily (the old John Lewis shop apparently!) and the staff were courteously efficient at check in. The room was nice enough although the carpet was filty and the plug in the sink got stuck. The room necame unbearably hot during the night,. I tried to open the window but it was locked which then made for a sleepless night as i was worrying about how we would get out in a fire! My room overlooked a lovely secluded patio but we were unable to access this which seemed a waste of space to me,
Booked in for the dinner (as it would get very busy according to the receptionist!) but upon arrival it was empty and only a couple of families trickled in afterwards. Despite this, had a log wait for the starter. Food was nice enough - asked for a glass of malbec which was gratefully received but a cost of 11 pounds was added to the bill! I would have thought this should have been mentioned before serving to me?
Breakfast the next day was good - i asked if we could just have some toast and coffee (and cereal for my son) and did i have to pay the 17.50 charge each for this, Was informed that children under 14 were free and that there would be no chanrge for mine. So thanks hotel, this was a pleasant treat.
All in all a pleasant stay, not special enough to recommend but if i was to stay again then i wouldnt be disappointed

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jacqui N

It was with concern that I read your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your visit and I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with some aspects of your stay.

Your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual high standards and I would like to assure you that your comments were the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar lapses couldn't be repeated.

I do hope you decide to return to the hotel and do contact me direct should you be planning a visit so that I can take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Beverley Molmans

Been to Macdonald Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!