“Our Favourite Hotel - BEST EVER” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 High Street, Windsor SL4 1LH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Our Favourite Hotel - BEST EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed here on 29 June 2012 for two nights. This is our third time at this Hotel because of its friendly staff, clean and modern aspect. The concierge service for our car is also a bonus. When we arrived we had not noticed that in beautiful boxes on the table there was 2 cupcakes made for us and a card to us to enjoy our stay, which is an lovely touch. We joined their Macdonald Windsor Club online after our first stay last year and we were sent a £15 voucher which we redeemed of our bill. The food is amazing, at breakfast you can have have a cold buffet selection of all sorts fruit, cereal, croissants, fresh juices, a selection of cheese, ham, numerous cakes as well as tea coffee and toast the full works before you even get served for your hot full English breakfast of what ever you want which is included in the breakfast price. Great value for money. On one of the nights this time we ordered our dinner into our room and it was first class the way it came was perfect, the food was absolutely delicious and you get so much for your money. The beds are sooooo comfortable we wish we had one. The bathroom shower was large enough for a family of four or more with the large round shower head coming out of the ceiling and there is another shower hose (chrome) on the wall for those who who need easy access. The bathroom is slate, modern, elegant and most of all clean. The hotel is right across the road from Windsor Castle which is handy if you get tired from lots of walking you can nip in for a quick rest and you are right in the centre of all the shops. When we arrived back to our room in the evening there was chocolates left on our pillow (how sweet). The good thing is the hotel is so peaceful and quite, you would never know you were in the centre of everything so trust me when I say you can't hear anything. We stayed in a suit the first time atbthe front of the hotel and even then it was still quite the windows do there job. The lifts in the hotel are very quick and clean. Room service is brilliant and can come at anytime you want. We would not stay anywhere else and I would highly recommend this hotel. Thenphone however did not have a dial tone so I reported it and it was fixed within 15 mins. You would not be disappointed at all with this hotel. The decor is beautiful and elegant much better than the other two hotels next door to it which reviews I did not like and glad we chose the Macdonald Windsor as no other hotel gives you those added touches. Definitely a five star Hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Samantha A

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoy your visits, in particular the service from the team, room facilities and food. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was far the best Hotel I've stayed in,as it was a special birthday stay for my wife it totally blew her away not just the decor but the friendly staff as very helpfully,will be going back very so JD

• Stayed June 2012
Dear 47davies

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed the decor.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip recently and found the hotel to be well appointed and very comfortable. The staff were very helpful and very professional.

While there we used the business conference centre and this was really excellent with good multimedia, good furniture and excellent catering both in the meeting room and at the coffee station.

The breakfast was good but at nearly £18 you can get much better for a lot less money elsewhere so if not on expenses I would not opt for this.

Beware that parking costs £25 per night which is extortionate for residents, you can park in a public car park for less than half this 400m up the road.

I would stay here again on business but if travelling for pleasure I would look elsewhere to get a lot more for less cash.

Room Tip: Many rooms look out at walls so make sure you ask if you want a view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear AandK

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the team helpful and the conference facilities excellent.

I was sorry to note that you were disappointed with the parking charge. Parking is limited in Windsor, and we offer a full valet service. We would never intentionally hide our costs, and offer parking as an additional option when guests book with us. By pre-booking a parking space, we can assure guests of a smoother and easier arrival experience with porterage.

I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kindest regards

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and I was very impressed. Beautifully clean and attentive staff. The room was very comfortable and ever so quiet I didn't hear a sound all night. Breakfast was OK but to be honest not worth the money. If I stayed here again I would go somewhere else for breakfast. The only problem I did have was with the check in/ check out procedure. When I arrived I was asked for my debit card as security. I had no problem with this but did tell the receptionist that I would be paying cash on departure. She assured me that no money would be taken from my account. I checked my account 10 minutes later and £266 had been deducted. I queried this and was told that no money had gone from my account but I had it on my phone clearly stating that it had!!!! It caused me a few problems but they assured me they would email me tomorrow and get it sorted so hopefully that's what they'll do! Anyway I would definatly return to this hotel for its comfort, cleanliness and location.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear superhoopsLondon

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were impressed with the cleanliness and service from the team, however may I apologise for your disappointment with breakfast - we usually receive such good feedback about our offering as we provide a wide variety of continental and cooked breakfasts.

I was also sorry to learn of the confusion with regards to your check-in. As a security measure we do take a pre-authorisation on a credit/debit card, however you should have been given the option of paying cash on arrival to avoid this. I do hope the pre-authorisation has now been removed from your account and the matter resolved, however do contact me direct if you require any further assistance.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Beautiful, elegant, friendly, very comfortable. Location excellent. Love staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Gillian S

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

You just can't beat the location, opposite the Guildhall, one minute from the Castle and with everything in walking distance, including both Windsor train stations (although this does mean that it comes at a bit of a price). Eton is an easy stroll too and the college tour is well worth doing.

The hotel was spotless and the staff were friendly and attentive. We didn't eat at the hotel, as there are so many good restaurants and cafes within a few minutes walk, so I can't comment on the food, but the bar is a good place to sit and relax with a cocktail. We loved Windsor and we will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Normski99

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our location and the cleanliness of the hotel.

It is great to know that the team were friendly and attentive and that you will return - we look forward to welcoming you.

Newton Abbot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Perfectly placed to see the Changing of the Guard and visit the castle, only a few hundred yards from the station and 50 yards from the main street. We were a group of 9 and we all loved our rooms. The staff were incredibly friendly and the breakfast was fabulous. The hotel arranged out taxis to Ascot (Ladies' Day) and we couldn't have had a better time and I won't look elsewhere in Windsor because I can't imagine anywhere being better. Thank you to everyone who made our stay so very enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear WendyHP

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear about your positive experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.

Beverley Molmans

Been to Macdonald Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!