“Cold water, cold room, poor service” 1 of 5 stars

The Thames Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ray Mead Rd, Maidenhead SL6 8NR, England   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Maidenhead
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Cold water, cold room, poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for business. The first two nights the room I stayed in had: a broken TV, no Internet access, it was cold, the water was at best tepid - never warm, and I could hear everything in the rooms next door. Each morning I complained about the water. On the 3rd night I was upgraded to an "executive " room - which was slightly larger from the small other rooms I stayed in. Still no hot water. The staff seemed to not transfer the messages between them about the water. The hotel is in a good location, but the view is not worth the cold shower.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I selected this hotel from an online website based on price, location and free parking, which can sometimes be problematic. When I arrived to check in, there was no record of my reservation, but I had my reservation number and they had one room left, so she honored the booking..and it happened to be an upgraded room with a patio and view of the Thames, which was delightful on the summer evening we arrived. Slightly less enchanting in the morning, however, when various geese/swans/waterfowl had some sort of upsetting altercation at around 5am and let loose with a long-lasting cacophony of honking. Don't know if that was normal or some unusual occurrence. The beds were very comfortable, but I agree with the reviewer who suggested a certain tiredness to the place -- the floor in both the bedroom and bathroom were very creaky, as well. I appreciated the biscuits and beverages provided, and we didn't get downstairs for the breakfast, so I can't comment there. I did chat further with the owner of the hotel the following day to sort out the disconnect on my reservation and he was very gracios and helpful, offering to assist me with baggage up the stairs. (Note: there is no elevator, so stairs will be involved.).(There is no swimming pool or fitness room but I couldn't seem to remove the rating I inadvertently pressed, so left it at average not to skew the review downward unintentionally...)

Room Tip: A room overlooking the Thames provides a most scenic outlook.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We actually did not stay at the Hotel or eat in the Restaurant, however we took drink in the bar and can honestly say that it was very well refurbished and what we saw of the bar food it looked delicious. Shame they only had only one bar person, who although was very nice did not speak very good English and him being /Italian he found it difficult to to take our money at the bar this got a little confusing toward the end of the stay when we failed to pay for the last round - I will settle this on my return visit

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Venue is excellent with free car parking.......overlooking the Thames.

Room appeared tired - bathroom was very small with only a shower. Bed had seen better days but all facilities were there.
River Bar was a pleasant surprise - good choice of beers and nibbles. Didn't eat in the restaurant at night, but breakfast far from good.

Very dark with only 1 staff on - buffet seemed dried out......made do with toast and cereal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I stayed at the Thames recently and had a mixed reaction.
I stay in Maidenhead quite regularly and had stayed here before but heard some work had been done.
The rooms looked ok for the price I had paid although the window in the bathroom was cracked.
The shower was very poor with only a little pressure.
The restaurant on the other hand is extremely good with good food well priced and good service.
On reflection I would rather pay extra and stay at the Riviera down the road but maybe eat at the Trevi (the hotel's restaurant)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We found a lovely, quiet place by the river in this refurbished hotel (faint smell of fresh paint) and was within easy walking distance of town centre. Our breakfast was included in the on-site restaurant and it was a good (though not extensive) buffet with hot & cold choices. Tea & coffee (& cocoa) in the good sized room. We had a nice time and the room was very clean. We'll be back when we next visit Maidenhead.

Room Tip: We liked our room; on a quiet side of the hotel so it was good.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Maidenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

If you are looking for a place, good, clean and comfortable, you have to go to this Hotel! It is cheap, and clean, I know personally the owner, ad he is a very kind person, his Hotel is always very ordered, you can not have bad experience in it! Beleve me! I hope you will take it when you come to visit Maidenhead.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Thames Hotel? Share your experiences!