“Very disappointing” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
“Very disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Ordered a med-rare steak @£18.95 and it came out well done at best. Complained (nicely) and declined a replacement as the meal was almost over. Very disappointing response from the management who still charged full price but gave free cheese and biscuits. Been here a number of times but sadly this will be the last. I can put up with a poor meal every now and again but the attitude and arrogance of the duty manager was unforgivable. So annoyed!!!!!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cranleigh, United Kingdom
“Grat Beer Battered Fish & Chips With Mushy Peas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I went today for lunch with an old colleague.

The interior of the building is full of character and really well decorated, and very welcoming. As soon as I saw fish & chips on the menu, I knew that is what we would both be ordering.

It's such a simple sosh, but one that lots of pubs profess to do well, but often don't (see my next review). It was excellent; light and really tasty batter, really chunky chips, and fantastic mushy peas and tartare sauce.

Extra credits for offering Diet Coke from a bottle, not the disgusting gloop out of a mixer tap.

Finished off with attentive service and this was an excellent pub meal, exactly the sort of food that pubs should do, and at a very reasonable price.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Watlington, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable evening,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Went on Easter Saturday evening for a birthday meal with the family pre selected our starters and main meals as there were 12 of us the food was hot and served quickly, good value for money, worked out at less than £20 a head for 3 courses

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Terrible service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My wife and I made a point of booking a particular table for this evening for a special occasion. On arrival we were directed to a totally different table with no reference being made to our original booking. On asking to sit at the table we had booked, the reply simply came 'I'm sorry, someone else is sitting there'! I asked to speak to the manager who was extremely insincere with her apology. We voted with our feet....!

Visited April 2014
Simon P, Owner at Red Lyon, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dobbydot, I am very sorry that you were unhappy when an error was made during your transfer of your reservation from one evening to the next and that you were not sat at the table you had requested. Of which the manager and supervisor on shift apologised for and offered you other tables. I'm equally sorry that you had to join Tripadvisor to let us know. I understand you were offered any other table in the restaurant which you declined without looking at. Which is disappointing as I am sure you would of had a wonderful evening out as you said without the children. Unfortunately human error did occur and being human we are all prone to it from time to time, as you can now understand. We take all TA comments seriously and to heart so I hope this response clarifies that we did not disregard your grief.
Radcliffe on Trent, United Kingdom
“good food - good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were a large group spread over a number of tables. All starters and main courses were pre-selected so service was prompt. The meal was very enjoyable

• Visited March 2014