“Bathing with silverfish?” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Maidenhead
Hampshire
“Bathing with silverfish?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I have a rule of thumb when deciding to eat in a hotel. It goes like this. If the hotel has a low standard of hygiene in an area I can see, then it's probably a lot worse in the kitchens. I'm afraid this hotel failed so I cannot comment on the food - although others have given it a good review.

I note, too, that others have commented on the pleasant staff. I agree. They were very pleasant, but then why wouldn't they be? The place seemed to be a family concern so they'd be fools not to be helpful - although a simple request for a map of the town met with a 'Sorry, we don't have one.' In the end, though, it's the accommodation that counts the most and I would never stay here again. The owners have made the classic mistake of thinking that if they slap a nylon carpet down (not even fixed to its gripper rods), install a few cheap new fittings and include a few gadgets (a phone, tv, etc) that is enough to give them two stars. I don't know who allocated the stars and I'm no expert on the exact criteria, but I'd guess it would include a plug in the bathroom basin, a bathroom door that closed and (at the very least) a clean bathroom floor. Our room had none of these. Let me describe the bathing area for you:

It was small, no room to put anything. I even had to sqeeze my towel in the gap between the basin and the wall. As you walk in, your foot touches a loose wooden board (covered in red nylon carpet). The board jerks the pedestal of the wash basin, which bounces up and down. Very disconcerting. The carpet didn't look as if it had been vacuumed for a while and at the base of the bath there was a suspicious black line of mould which smelled. I lifted the carpet and oh-my-gosh it was a silverfish graveyard with active visitors. I would have taken a picture but I was too nauseated. There were other signs of poor hygiene. The door had some strange brown splashes (I don't even want to think of these), the bath caulking was grubby and the ceiling had patches of black mould showing through the muddy orange paint.

The bedroom was a little better, although the decor was hardly resful. Lilac walls vied with tomato-red carpet and egg-yolk curtains, while the duvet cover was green, yellow and blue. Of the two potentially opening windows, one was sealed shut and the other had no proper lever so it was either open, blowing against the outside wall or closed. I was there on one of the hottest days of the year, so I had to keep it open. There was an A4 page on the dressing table, inviting guests to hire a fan for £1 a day, or £4 a week, with the proceeds apparently going to charity. The owners added that guests should feel free to give as much as they wanted. How odd. Hotels are not charities, so why make a very necessary gadget the subject of charitable exchange?

Watch out for flying bedknobs. They look like brass, but are actually plastic and loosely attached. Ours fell off in the night.

On the plus side, the white towels and bedlinen were clean, the biscuits weren't bourbons - and there was plenty of Dove soap sachets, if you did feel you could bear to undress and wash. Either on this site or another, an Australian reviewer gave the place a score of 2 out of ten. That should tell you a lot both about the higher standard of Australian accommodation and the British way of 'putting up with things' that really are not quite good enough.

• Liked — Pleasant staff
  • Disliked — Silverfish in the bathroom
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

This place is in desparate need of renovations and repair.
It's only redeeming feature was that the bed was reasonably comfortable and clean. I asked for a fan during the heat wave, and am still waiting ! The bathroom is one star at best, and the rest of the room was run down. Phones were not working, the shower would not move from hot, and the breakfast that my Mother had was almost inedible. Not to be recomended at all.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

The booking was made at the last minute and with no other reviews on tripadvisor, we had no-one to warn us off! The front of the hotel sports it's 'two' restaurant's' - one Thai and one Indian - as advertised. It's actually one restaurant that gives you a Thai or an Indian menu depending on what you fancy! We chose Indian and given the chefs were Thai, it was surprisingly good. The restaurant itself is nice and looks good, but that's where it ends.

We arrived (my collegue and I)to be told that our twin room - the only one in the hotel - was not available as Mr. So and So had decided to stay for another night! Why they couldn't have told him the room was already booked I have no idea, but this meant we had to share a double bed. We explained we were collegues and this was completely NOT something we were happy to do, but we were told there were no other rooms so it's the double one or nothing. Given it was late and we were tired, we agreed to go to the room.

We walked in and nearly passed out from paint fumes, it must have just been painted that day. This however must have been the only thing that was new in the room as the rest was filthy (black net curtains) and falling to bits (shattered tiles in the bathroom - had to wear shoes at all times, curtain rail fell off when you looked at it, bed was falling to pieces, all walls were cracked) it was truly horrendous, I thought we'd walked into a squat.

We decided to have a rest after a four hour journey and unpacked and settled down to read the papers. 15 minutes later we had terrible headaches and felt really sick due to the overwhelming paint fumes, we called reception to complain and they re-iterated the fact that they were full so it was tough.

The story goes on, but I think I might run out of room or bore you to tears soon. Basically, it got worse, we had one hours sleep maximum (great for the important meeting the next day!) and got a free breakfast out of it - as if tinned mushrooms in my omelette and a bit of toast for my collegue made up for the worst night and experience I have ever had in any establishment!

Been to Kingswood Hotel? Share your experiences!