“Reasonable place to stay” 3 of 5 stars

Sunningdale Park
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Larch Avenue, Ascot SL5 0QE, England   |
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Ascot
London, United Kingdom
“Reasonable place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding in the grounds of the hotel at Northcote House. Northcote House is a character neo-georgian house where as the hotel accommodation itself, as other reviewers have said, is reminiscent of university halls of residence.

The hotel is separated into separate named blocks and we stayed in the Anderson building. The room was comfortable though none of the doors, e,g, room and bathroom can shut quietly. We booked the b and b option plus tickets to Windsor Castle thrown in. The 'Steam Bake & Grill' (the dining block) from the outside looks like a single storey 1960's public library or NHS outpatients wing however this is deceiving as inside is modern and there is a platform to view the grounds. The breakfast was also decent and plentiful in a buffet style

All in all this is a reasonable hotel for the area and the grounds of Northcote House are pleasant

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello The_Toyboy

The team and I are delighted to read your feedback, thrilled that over all you enjoyed yourself, even if it a little reminiscence of your University days.

We all truly look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park very soon!. In the meantime have a splendid week and more importantly a great Bank weekend whatever you are doing.

550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booked 2 rooms at this hotel as having a day at the races and didnt want to drive home, then read the reviews which weren't very good. I did think about cancelling but decided it couldn't really be that bad. We arrived early and had no problem getting our rooms. The girl on reception was very polite and helpful, directed us to our rooms and ordered us a taxi. The rooms were both fine, the beds were really comfy and we all enjoyed our stay. We will definitely book this hotel when next having a day at the races.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello Archie18,

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. The team and I are delighted to read your feedback and thrilled you enjoy your stay: Sparkling. You know the old saying “One should not always believe what one reads”.

We all genuinely look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park very soon! In the meantime have a good week.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Upon arrival I was a little underwhelmed by the outward appearance of the building, which looks a bit institutional. However, there was a warm welcome at check in and a clear explanation of where to find my room and the various amenities.

The room itself was very nice, with modern decor, a comfortable bed and a desk by the window. The wardrobe was extensive, despite being a single room, and there was plenty of space. The bathroom was huge, with a large shower cubicle. My only complaint about the room was the temperature, but the sun had been shining all day so I guess it's bound to get pretty warm.

The restaurant for the evening meal was very nice, though quite noisy. The food was good, and despite being picked from a menu of only four options, the choices were nicely varied. Service was reasonable if lacking a little urgency at times.

The self service breakfast was superb. A huge variety of choices, and all the produce was first rate. Excellent.

Overall, having got a bargain deal on a popular website, this was an extremely good value stay in a very nice location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello Niceul,

Thank you for your valued feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park DeVere Venue. I have shared your feedback with my team, at our monthly communication meeting. They like me, are thrilled that despite the bedroom temperature and a little lack lustred service at times in the restaurant, you enjoyed your stay.

The team and I are always interested to hear positive and non positive comments, as we use these to strengthen our service offering at Sunningdale. Once again I thank you for taking the time to write your feedback to Trip Advisor.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sunningdale in the near future! In the meantime have a great Bank Holiday weekend, what ever you are doing,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here in March for business and although its not nice to be critical when you don't get value for money it needs to noted to the owners.

The accommodation is really bad, I have stayed in better youth hostels than this. On a plus note the staff are helpful and pleasant but clearly lack guidance on what is needed.

I paid well over the odds and when I asked to see someone senior I was told the Operations Manager was unwell and the General Manager unavailable. Not great focus on your paying customers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hello Leigh G

Thank you for your valued feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park DeVere Venues. I would like to personally apologise that I did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at Sunningdale Park.

It was very unfortunate that my Operations Manager was really unwell on the date you stayed, and that at the time when face to face feedback would have been most appropriate I was unavailable to speak to you.

The team and I are indeed focused, at all times, on our clients needs and expectations. When we are made aware our guests are not happy, we work devilish hard to correct the situation, so it was disappointing to hear your comments.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your feedback to Trip Advisor.

I am always interested to hear positive, and non positive, comments as we use these to strengthen our service offering at Sunningdale Park.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to a DeVere Venue in the near future.. and I hope that at some point our paths will cross again, so I can restore your faith in Sunningdale Park.

T:01344634362||E:kbradley@deverevenues.co.uk

Sunningdale Park, Larch Avenue , Ascot, Berkshire,SL5 OQE

Travelers are raving about these Ascot hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

At first I thought I had stumbled on a gem so close to Lego land and an amazing price we booked 2 rooms and we arrived with high hopes ..... Sadly this is little more than a nasty looking ex hospital or collage campus . Not the de vere we thought it would be. The pictures online don't show this at all!! The grounds are pretty but that's not good if your sleeping in little more than digs!!
The rooms were basic and clean.
I am so disappointed this is not like any deVere hotel I have ever stayed in and very sub standard . Gutted!

• Stayed May 2013
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hello KirstyandFamily

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. Firstly and foremost I personally apologise I did not meet your expectations while residing at Sunningdale Park Venue.

De Vere has 2 product offerings; De Vere Hotels and De Vere Venues. Sunningdale Park is part of the De Vere Venues family. We have 33 venues across the UK all of which we feel offer our guest something slightly different.

Sunningdale, like many of our Venues, has purpose built buildings; bedrooms, free Wifi , restaurants, training rooms, free flowing tea, coffee & biscuits buffets in our salons, pitch & putt , tennis courts and a mini gym, all situated across 65 acres of rolling parkland , as stated on our web page.

The Venue offers we believe excellent worth and splendid hospitality; I regret you see Sunningdale differently. That is indeed most regrettable.

Once again thank you for taking the time to e-mail Trip Advisor with your personal comments.

W.Yokshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We don't normally write reviews but after reading low ratings, wanted to put our view forward. Stayed for 1 night in November 2012, we found the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Having made the booking on a winter deal we wondered whether we would be treated differently than those guests paying the normal rate. This was not so, in fact, just the opposite! I left a pair of new leather boots in the room and they not only returned them within 48 hours of contacting them, they would not accept my offer of postage.
One of the attractions for ourselves with the DeVere chain is the use of old stately homes and we find the history of these buildings part of the enjoyment of the stay. Whenever we approached the reception area for information on Northcote House in the grounds they wanted to help in everyway possible, going that extra yard to make sure we were given details to enhance our visit.
We were so impressed, even before the return of the boots, that we decided to try and visit as many of the DeVere venues that have an attachment to a historical building. Since our stay at Sunningdale we have visited Milton Hill House, Oxford; Wokefield Park, Reading and Uplands House at High Wycombe. I can say we have yet to be disappointed with stays at these other properties.
The rooms are well equipped and we have found the beds to be comfortable. The tea and coffee provisions are always generous and replenished daily. The breakfasts are buffet type and in our experience have been plentiful and of a varied selection.
We booked this on a deal and for the money we paid it was tremendous value and would recommend it without any qualms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Thought I had a result in finding this gem, but happened to be an extremely rough diamond. The rooms are pretty basic even some Travel Lodges are better and cheaper. My room in Chaucer was ok but Chaucer must be furthest away from every facility in the place. That was my main gripe everything was a long long walk. It was good job it was reasonable weather.

The whole place had a feel of a hospital with different departments in the grounds. The grounds were magnificent but if I was a single woman I would avoid this place unless I was given a room near the main reception.

The restaurant staff was mainly youngsters, marshalled by two extremely stern maître d'hôtel who seemed to make the staff very anxious and created a subdued atmosphere in the service station type cafeteria. On the plus side I had a lovely confit of duck, very tasty and filling. The breakfasts were ok depending on what you want. The black pudding is hard, dry and tasteless.

It was a good base but too much walking around to get what you need. I wanted a bottle of water from the restaurant it was easier to get in the car drive 2 miles up the road, pay £1.60 instead of £4.00 to walk 20 minutes to get a bottle of water or pay £3+ to have it delivered.

Reception staff were good but this is a hotel geared towards the conference fraternity and the staff find it difficult to differentiate between the two, at times I felt like conference fodder by some staff.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the main reception unless you love a good yomp!