“Cannot get Coworth Park out of my mind” 5 of 5 stars

4 Nights for Price of 3
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ascot
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Cannot get Coworth Park out of my mind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

If you’ve ever had a fantasy about the gracious and chic English country lifestyle, look no further than the Dorchester Collection’s Coworth Park Hotel. This is, all at once, traditional, contemporary, refined and sleek. I arrived via train from London into Sunningdale, a straight shot into a totally charming little country town. Then a 5-minute drive to Coworth Park. Pretty civilized, really. Then we rolled up to Coworth Park, where even the logo on the sign out front is modern and elegant. Driving up to the Manor House, past the polo fields, and then a field of wildflowers, was fairly stupendous. We passed the very modern yet somehow organic-looking structure that is the spa and then to the front of what appears to be a private home, surrounded with manicured paths and drives, where you are greeted by men wearing the most subtle of brown plaid wool suits, with vests, further setting the tone that to the manor, if not born, you have arrived.

I had the great good fortune to spend two delicious evenings at Coworth Park, and my only complaint was that it put a significant damper on the rest of my trip - it was THAT good! This is an elegant hotel where attention to detail and good taste (without being over the top or intimidating) is the order of the day. Immediately, the aesthetic grabs you, evidenced by the enormous metal sculpture of a tree that stands front and center in the lobby, indicative of the emphasis on bringing nature in. And yet the foyer of the Manor House feels like a home – like YOUR home. Your really nice home. It is light wood and airy, with a magnificent grand stairway that ascends like a nautilus shell, curving and curling elegantly to the three floors above.

I stayed in room 33, on the top floor of the Manor House, with the feel of an expansive attic - sloping walls, incredibly spacious and well appointed. I felt as if I got the very best room in the place. And if God is in the details, this is a very religious space. My room had interior shutters lined with the exact same fabric as the gorgeous walls - a creamy gold pattern that created a contemporary and light feel. This is not your grandmother's country estate! This is modern yet understated. More details - the four poster bed, sitting area, all deeply rich textures but light and bright at the same time. Espresso maker. A mark of a good hotel is, at least for me, abundantly clear when I want to steal everything in the room. Each and every detail and accent - from the soft leather folios with hotel information to the soap dish to the pots of herbs in the bathroom - intoxicated me. Very well thought through. And then there’s the bathroom with its copper freestanding tub. Beautiful basins and stone work. Mirrors everywhere reflecting the soft lighting and giving a modern and airy feel to the space.

If you are lucky enough to have one of the rooms in the “stables”, you will feel you are in your own Mansfield Park setting, pastoral and perfectly appointed. Country charm with modern finishes. These are situated just to the left of the Mansion, like a modern village, right on a stream with a little bridge. There is a separate dining area here, as well, with farm table type decor and food, situated in an old barn that again, has been designed to embrace both modern, clean lines and a traditional feel. The view? Well, the picturesque stream with its little bridge and polo fields beyond.

One thing that Coworth Park is absolutely known for is polo. And if you are able, book a lesson. It is a hoot - sort of like croquet on a horse - made even more fun by the divine looking young polo instructors – both men and women – who patiently work with you to learn the basic swinging techniques before putting you on a horse. No need to have the right gear – they’ll supply you with everything you need, hats, mallets and very chic short riding boots. I also recommend a trip to the stunning spa where the facilities are fairly mind-blowing.

The hotel common rooms - like being in your own living room - are warm and inviting. And the grounds are to die for. I live in a city. To have the opportunity to go out for an early run and be able to experience the sights, sounds and phenomenal beauty of the English countryside, to be greeted by horses when you round a bend, to run along the perimeters of an expanse of green that is the size of two polo fields - well - life is pretty good at Coworth Park, I'd say.

Have to also mention the staff, who truly went above and beyond, from helping me with my internet connection at 11:30 at night (merci Nicholas) to the front desk staff who were supremely patient when I lost my key after only 5 minutes (Thank you Alice) (FYI - key is housed in a discreet and fabulous little orange box - that is my excuse), to the wait staff who handled our little group of demanding Americans with such professionalism, courtesy and...fun. They made our dinner at the hotel - which was quite possibly my best meal of the trip - all the more unforgettable.

Last thing to consider, and this was a big plus for us...Coworth Park's close proximity to Heathrow, making it incredibly convenient to build into the end of your London itinerary, providing what I think is the best of both worlds; the action and cool urbane experience of London, and the supremely gracious and pastoral country estate experience. Guaranteed a couple of nights at Coworth Park will put you in such a relaxed and...grateful...frame of mind, even a long plane ride won't faze you.

Room Tip: I loved my room - 33 - on the top floor of the main house.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CoworthPark, General Manager at Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Lesley, many thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your recent trip to Coworth Park and it is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your time with us. I am delighted to read that you were able to enjoy two days with us as part of your trip and to read that you had the time to enjoy all aspects of your stay including playing polo, dining in our restaurants, the facilities in the spa and your room. I will pass on your comments to Victoria and Sam who you met during your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back in to the heart of the English countryside again soon.
Best wishes, Zoe Jenkins, General Manager, Coworth Park, Dorchester Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Ystad, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Staying here was absolutely an experience out the ordinary. The staff was extremely attentive to us as guest at all times and we felt genuinely welcomed and very well looked after by everyone. The surrounding areas is fantastic and probably the best part being the beautiful flowering field in front of the main building. Rooms are very nice, large and luxurious with classic design but with some trendy modern details, all very tasteful and satisfying and in offering anything you could possibly ask for in terms of features and amenities. We ate in the restaurant and the food certainly meet the expectations and again the service was brilliant. Made a very quick visit to the pool and spa area that was very beautiful and nicely designed in a fantastic building but perhaps could offer a few more options in terms of pools or saunas. The best things about Coworth Park are the overall atmosphere and the surroundings but most of all the the staff and service that made a very memorable impression.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent stay at Coworth Park. I am pleased to read how much you appreciated the service and how well looked after you felt during your stay. I am also pleased to read that you were able to enjoy dining in Restaurant Coworth Park and the facilities in the spa. I will share you feedback with the team and I looked forward to welcoming you back here again soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were invited back by Zoe Jenkins and her team to give Coworth Park another try and we were very glad we took her up on it! The experience this time around was literally faultless.

We arrived down on a glorious sunny August Saturday evening and immediately felt calm and totally relaxed after the hot drive on arrival at the oasis that is Coworth.

The rooms are beautifully appointed and luxurious but still comfortable. The view over the meadow in full bloom from our mansion room was stunning.

We asked if we could have the champagne from our room on the terrace and this, like all other requests during our stay, was met with a positive, friendly and helpful response. Although the hotel was full that evening, it didn't feel crowded and the standard of service in both the terrace bar and the Barn Restaurant was excellent.

The next day after an excellent night's sleep, we had a tasty breakfast in the room and headed to the spa to use the pool. This is definitely the nicest pool I have ever been in. So relaxing and they even play music under the water. The spa changing room is clean and well equipped with everything you could possibly need.

We had a walk around the immaculate grounds, even catching the end of a polo match before heading back to the terrace for afternoon tea. Again this was of the highest quality in all respects.

Coworth Park is a peerless hotel in a beautiful setting but what really makes it is the truly terrific standard of service from every single member if the team we encountered. A trip to Coworth Park is such an amazing experience - and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The mansion rooms are hard to beat
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am delighted to read how much you both enjoyed your second stay with us and it is a pleasure to be able to share your kind comments with the team here, how much you enjoyed champagne on the terrace, walks around the grounds, your breakfast and afternoon tea and the spa facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I’ve been a fan of the Dorchester Collection Hotels for quite some time. For a while, I considered the Dorchester in London the high standard for luxury. While it remains a favorite, Coworth Park has redefined luxury and taken it to greater heights.

Though it was our first time at the hotel, the staff immediately greeted us by name (and this continued throughout the stay). Service was swift and unobtrusive. We stayed in the mansion house deluxe rooms. The marble bathrooms had a fabulous copper tub. The beds were light and airy. The mini bar was well stocked (the book on Windsor Castle was a nice touch), magazines were provided and the safes even had in-safe charges. Beautiful floor length windows gazed out onto the green meadows.

The grounds themselves are beautiful. The front desk is happy to provide visitors with a guide to the estate and we spent an afternoon merrily walking around. While Coworth Park is known for its polo facilities, there are a variety of activities to choose from. I recommend taking a book out and finding one of the many benches strewn about.

The bar is quite impressive (check out the fun horse images that adorn the walls) but afternoon tea in the drawing room was the highlight of our stay. Served daily (though reservations are recommended) the sandwiches were creative twists on old favorites, the scones light and fluffy and the pastries- well usually the pastries are ignored during afternoon tea but the pastry chef outdoes himself at Coworth Park. It is worth a visit to Coworth Park for the afternoon tea alone.

Even before we left, we were planning our return visit. It was thoroughly delightful- really there aren’t enough superlatives to relate the wonders of Coworth Park. You’ll just have to see for yourself!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
CoworthPark, General Manager at Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your recent stay At Coworth Park. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your whole experience with us and that you were able to enjoy in particular a walk in the grounds and our delicious afternoon tea during your visit. It will be a pleasure to share your feedback with my team and I will pass on your comments to our pastry chef. I look forward to welcoming you back to Coworth Park very soon.
Healy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was looking for a place for a birthday treat for my partner where we could stay the night, eat and go hacking the next day. I found this in the Internet but no one I know who lives in the area had heard of it, but as it seemed to tick all the boxes I booked it. So after a day being thrown around on the roller coasters at Thorpe Park, feeling a little bedraggled, we headed to this place in our old doggy-fied Jeep. As we approached the Mansion House we both pretty much gasped at how beautiful the house and its grounds were, and were feeling a little self conscious when we realised that one of the army of staff that were waiting at the entrance was going to have to get into our smelly Jeep and valet park it. We thought the place was simply stunningly beautiful. Immaculate, luxurious but not ostentatious and gaudy. Sometimes these places can be too designer minimalist, or full of gold leaf and chinz, but this was stylish, quirky and designed with humour. Our room was smart, cosy and with a beautiful copper bath with views over the estate stretching for miles. We had dinner in the fine dining restaurant, fabulous food, great service, relaxed atmosphere, a great nights sleep then a great breakfast. After breakfast we headed for the stables where we were we greeted by our friendly guide, paired up with our horses Alfie and Oscar, and headed out across a wild flower Meadow, around the Polo fields and over to a track to have a go at cantering. It was a wonderful experience, trotting around in such beautiful countryside on such stunning animals. My partner said it was the perfect birthday treat so mission accomplished. Can't recommend it enough, for the gardens, the restaurant, the quirky refined design, the equestrian, didn't even get a chance to look at the spa, apparently there is a pool? and another restaurant, all reasons to go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay when you choose to celebrate your partner’s birthday at Coworth Park. I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy dinner in Restaurant Coworth Park and horse riding around our grounds and flower meadow. I do hope you will return very soon to try our the Spa and the Barn Restaurant

Best wishes,
Zoe Jenkins, General Manager, Coworth Park, Dorchester Collection
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

superb ... was a sensation ... really perfect London retreat.... barn restaurant treacle tart!Next time we'll be trying more of the activities like polo..Windsor castle and Eton close by this is a perfect summer getaway and keen for the winter , imagine the decorations for Christmas will be amazing fantastiic....not as expensive as i thought it would be

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for your kind review of your recent trip to Coworth Park. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how much you enjoyed dinner in The Barn. It will be a pleasure to share your review with the team here and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit. I will be more than happy to arrange any activities you might wish to try and perhaps see you here for Christmas.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Our stay at Coworth Park was for our 10th anniversary, it is a beautiful place with lovely surrounding grounds. The staff were very friendly and professional and could not do enough for us from check in to departure. We ate in the main restaurant for dinner. The food was good but again it was the service that really made it special. We also had afternoon tea in the drawing room which was excellent. Will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012
CoworthPark, General Manager at Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed celebrating your 10th wedding anniversary with us at Coworth Park and I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience including your dinner in Restaurant Coworth Park and your afternoon tea in The Drawing Room. I will share your kind feedback with the rest of the team and I look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.
Best wishes, Zoe Jenkins, General Manager, Coworth Park, Dorchester Collection

Been to Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection? Share your experiences!