“Another pleasant carvery experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #127 of 217 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Behind the imposing 17th-century portico of the White Hart Hotel, Squires is an elegant traditional restaurant in the centre of the cathedral city of Salisbury. Renowned for its gutsy British cuisine, the kitchen uses seasonal local ingredients to produce hearty dishes such as braised oxtail with rosemary or roast leg of English lamb, with a hot and cold buffet at lunchtime. The cosy window tables offer views over the attractive enclosed courtyard.
Salisbury
“Another pleasant carvery experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Returned after almost two years for a Sunday carvery, as a last minute treat, and we were not disappointed. Although when I telephoned in the morning to be told no further reservations were being taken, we walked in on the off chance and were given a table in a fairly full restaurant. Beef was brilliant, pork slightly dry, vegetables very good and plentiful sauces. Staff served with a smile and were efficient even though quite busy. Puddings were straightforward and good. Overall presentation excellent.
With coffee and drinks, (wine and orange) under £20 a head represented very good value. I will not wait another two years before returning!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Salisbury, MD
“A nice Prix Fix dinner for this Yank.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was in Salisbury, England, from Salisbury, Maryland, in the States, for the Mayor Making Ceremony. At 1900, I went down to Squires Restaurant, in the hotel. They had a Prix Fix menu of £18 for a three course dinner. I started with a Chicken Liver Parfait with toasted brioche, mixed salad greens and a red onion chutney, which was excellent. I moved on to Grilled fillet of Plaice, with capers, crushed new potatoes, and vegetables cooked the way I like them: hot and crisp. I had two 250ml glasses of Drostdy-Hof Chenin Blanc, Western Cape South Africa (£8@). I finished with a Bakewell Tart with Clotted Cream. The bill, for which I had to wait, was £34. There was no place on the bill to add the gratuity. When I questioned it, I was told, by the restaurant manager, that a tip added to the bill will be absorbed by the hotel and will not reach the server. Therefore, I handed £10 to the server.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Hmmm”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

What a let down. Booked to find out we had been booked in the lounge due to wedding. Got ignored, given coffee table, ignored again £15 for 4 drinks.

Had to complain got told we had not booked. I have never been so appalled in my whole life. When my friend complained she was even left ten minutes to wait!!!

Worst experience ever.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Get a Grip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Went today as a Salisbury local for afternoon tea. 5.15 Sunday afternoon. As per usual we were ignored by the staff. Young guys and girls oblivious of our presence - not even rushed, just do not put customers first. After 15 minutes I complained to the receptionist, we waited a further five minutes and then left. It has happened before as well.

Just not good enough. Also horrible modern art on wall. We went to Red Lion in the end and ended up happy.

Wiltshire
“A change from the rest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Quite a formal yet relaxed atmosphere here, service was friendly and efficient and our particular waitress had a wicked sense of humour too (she needed it to be able to deal with the aloof and rude American guests she had to deal with)
Though a very limited a la carte menu the food was of a very high quality and very well presented, and surprisingly not overly expensive.
With Salisbury having very few culinary delights on offer Squires certainly made for a pleasant change from all the rest.

• Visited August 2012