“I wouldn't recommend it” 2 of 5 stars

Qudos Hotel
38 Castle St, Salisbury SP1 1BN, England (Formerly White Horse Hotel)   |
Ranked #31 of 51 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Illinois
“I wouldn't recommend it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We spent three nights at Qudos on our travels around England and I can honestly say that this was, by far, the worst place that we stayed on the whole trip. Upon arrival, we checked in at the bar and were given the key to the notorious Room 12. One of the staff carried my large suitcase up to the room for me (which was much appreciated). Upon opening the door, however, we found someone else's luggage in our room, so it was back down to the bar to tell them of our discovery. Someone came and took the mysterious luggage away. Our room was small and had a large window. Since it was a little warm, we tried to open it, but it wouldn't open, so another trip downstairs to ask if someone could help us open the window. A guy came up and tried, but it was painted shut. He did kindly bring us a small fan to help cool off the room as much as possible. The first night was OK, but then it was all down hill from there. The second and third nights were live music nights and Room 12 is directly over the stage. (Why they put us in that room when we were staying several nights and there were obviously other rooms available, I will never know.) We had been told that the music could be somewhat loud, but we were not told the whole truth. The music was SO loud that it literally vibrated the entire room! It was like trying to relax inside a big, giant speaker. This continued until 11:30 both Thursday and Friday evenings. We decided that we would put up with it, because they had warned us that it would be loud. I just want others to know that it is so much more than you can imagine. As far as I'm concerned, that room should never be rented out on nights when the pub has live music. My husband and I decided that the owners of Qudos were much more interested in the bar/restaurant and saw the room rentals as nothing more than a little extra money on the side. The location was great, the room itself was OK, but the noise, the noise...

Room Tip: Avoid Room #12!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We do advertise on booking sites that we are a live music venue. Guests are also informed on check in that we have music in our venue. If you had spoken we any member of staff or myself, we could have moved you to the second floor. But as nothing was said by yourselves we assumed everything was ok. The previous guest had left the luggage in the room without telling us, as soon as we found this out we moved it. The chamber maids are instructed not to touch guests luggage unless told to do so.

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I attended a private view in Salisbury of Rex Whistlers work great. We needed some simple accommodation and ideally a bar so that once the event was finished we had somewhere to go.

Friendly on the phone. Car park was additional at £7.50 which seemed a bit expensive and was a short walk from the place. Friendly arrival staff. Room okay, shower could have been cleaner and overall the whole place is looking a little tired.

Bar staff didn't know what he was talking about - when asked did they do bar snacks he looked around, spotted the menu and said yes tentatively. When I asked if the chips were freshly cut and not frozen he said yes - he was wrong they were straight out of the freezer and not good. The bar was expensive. Although we were informed there was not breakfast available it still seems odd for a hotel not to offer.

Anyway it delivered. A comfortable night in a city

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor and not on the stage side of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Sorry to hear that the service from the bar was not up to standard. The member of staff has now left, we do train our staff to be knowledgeable on all aspects of the hotel and clearly this person was unable to carry out the training given. He has now left.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have written nearly 50 reviews and only received positive comments, my guess is that the owner of the Qudos will object to this review, lets hope he is as good as his word and returns my payment!!
I've been on the road this week and stayed in 5 different hotels, in my life I have stayed in 100's but this is the first time I have been ejected from a hotel.
My office booked me into this hotel and I arrived at around 6pm, the bar was empty and I managed to find the lady behind the bar who carried my bags up to room 12 but didn't tell me that my room was over the music stage. Room 12 is small, OK for 1 person, well decorated, clean and most of the facilities one would want. The bathroom is very small and there are no beside lights or drawer space. It seemed OK, but I cannot report on the shower, bed etc, as I wasn't able to use them.
My colleague, who stayed the night before soon arrived at the hotel and we sat in the bar (there is no lounge) and chewed the fat and decided that the menu was quite limiting and that we would eat out. We returned around 8.30 and moved to the quietest part of the bar with a glass of nice wine as the singer started. After an hour we said goodnight and I returned to Room 12 and discovered that the room was very noisy, so much so that when I phoned my wife she could hear the music over the mobile phone. At around 10.15pm I phoned the hotel and asked what time the music finished--11.30! I suggested I wasn't told that on arrival or that I was aware of this (I have since been informed that is on their website, so sorry for saying it wasn't), over the very loud music, I asked to be moved to another room, this request was ignored, instead the lady said this is a music grill, I responded that I would report this to travel advisor and would seek to demand my bill was cancelled, the lady responded (after a delay) that the boss said I could leave, I said I didn't want to and we hung up (not sure who did what first). A few minutes later there was a knock at the door, I hoped it was someone offering a quieter room, instead I was violently pushed into my room by someone who demanded I leave in 5 minutes time. I was accused of threatening and violent behaviour to a member of staff. (if you feel this might be the case please see my other Travel Advisor reviews and draw your own conclusions). My questions as to what I had done wrong were unanswered, and I felt threatened by the behaviour of this person, I tried to explain that I had a heart condition and felt I was in danger of being harmed and asked him to relax, this was also ignored. The man left and said he would be back in 5-minutes. I packed up my things and tried to identify the non-999 number to seek help from the police, as I was connected there was banging on the door and on asking who I was informed it was the owner of the hotel, I opened the door and it was the man who had pushed me earlier, he prevented me continuing my call to the police, his earlier behaviour was a worry to me. I felt he was trying to prevent me carrying my bags out of the small room, but finally I made it, he led me to an emergency exit. Outside there were steep metal stairs, as I started to descend, he was now behind me and started to nudge me in the back with his arms
and I felt frightened I would fall. At the bend of the stairs, I sat down and asked him to back-up, he refused until I called loudly for help. Having made it down the stairs into the dark courtyard, I felt so threatened, that I called again for help as he made threatening moves towards me. Why would he want to threaten an old man????
So in conclusion if you want to stay in a hotel that offers a limited menu, no breakfasts, no staff in the morning, noisy small but well decorated rooms, helpful staff as you arrive but ignoring staff later and a manager that offers and provides violent behaviour then the Qudos is for you, but don't ask to change rooms! Oh, I could not go back as I've been banned! Make sure you know where to park before you arrive, I followed the signs and ended up in the courtyard!
On discussing this event with my wife she suggests that either the manager was under the influence or that he had received numerous other complaints regarding the noise. Do I have proof of the violent behaviour, no, his word against mine, who do you believe?

Room Tip: If you don't want to go to bed early (before 11.30) and are by yourself Room 12 seemed OK.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
In response to your review, you fail to mention the real reason you were ejected from our hotel. You rang reception and used foul, abusive and threatening language to a female member of my staff to complain about the accoustic guitar player we had performing. You referred to her as a "little girl" on two occasions . I cannot print the language you used on the phone to her on this page. Then when she went to your room to speak with you , you again used foul and abusive language to her. There are ways to complain or raise issues and you clearly have no social skills or any awareness of the correct way to treat another human being. We work in a service industry and we do everything we can to be courteous and polite to our guests. In this situation you left us with no alternative but to remove you from our hotel as we will not tolerate intimidation of our staff. You could have asked politely to be moved, but the anger and abuse you displayed made your situation untenable. You were not physical threatened.
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were sad to leave - loved the location - room, food were excellent. The staff were helpful (thanks Alex) and the music was a bonus. A great place to stay when taking in the sights of Salisbury. Arriving in time for market day was an extra bonus.

• Stayed May 2013
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Hi thanks for your kind review , glad you enjoyed your stay! I am glad you enjoyed our food and hope the wine went down well

Alex @Qudos
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had booked a Saturday night stay at Qudos to enjoy a meal and free music via Laterooms.com but when we arrived they had no record of our booking. However the girl behind the bar was a star and spent ages trying to find us alternative accommodation , which she did ,in a guest house The Victoria Lodge, just down the road. 5 stars for her excelent help! We did eat at Qudos and it was very good,beer good and we really enjoyed the music.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hi , thank you for your kind review, its great to hear Sarah was able to help you out and I shall pass your comments on to her! We are very glad you popped in for dinner and enjoyed yourselves and I am pleased my staff did all they could to help you .

Alex manager at Qudos
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Alex was very welcoming and patient when we were trying to work out where to park. Parking is down the road but only a minutes walk. We had large heavy cases and the walk with them was not bad. As there were spare rooms we were given a bigger room (15) at the front of the hotel at no extra charge and without asking for it. they provide you with keys so that you can access the hotel out of hours with no problems.

All good - neat and clean, and we thought reasonable. walking distance to the market and the cathedral. Market day is tuesday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review, its great to hear positive feedback ! I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again if you travel back to England. Thanks for bringing the sun !! -Alex
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My Wife and I stayed here for a Friday and Saturday night. Check in is via the bar and was very simple. We had the suite which was large and comfortable. As is made clear in advance there is no breakfast but this is central Salisbury so no problem. Parking is limited and must be booked in advance but there are public car parks nearby. This is a music venue so expect some noise till 23.30 but we were not bothered. Rooms were very clean. Good deal for the price, more of a pub with rooms than a Hotel but good if you do not feel the need to be fussed over.

Room Tip: The suite is at the top of the building and so is farthest from the music
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi we are glad everything was to your liking, and you found the suite to comfortable, we love to hear feedback as it helps us to improve our service to our guests.

Been to Qudos Hotel? Share your experiences!