“Excellent B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spire House

and 1 more site!
You added Spire House to your Saves list
Spire House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   84 Exeter Street, Salisbury SP1 2SE, England   |
Ranked #9 of 55 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Excellent B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have just come back from a weekend stay at the Spire in Salisbury and could not fault the service we received. When we arrived late Friday night there was no parking opposite but John the owner kindly went with my husband to show him the nearby car parking area and gave us a parking permit. The following night was no problem and we parked right opposite the B&B. We received a very warm welcome from both hosts and the tea and coffee making facilities which are extensive was explained to us and we were show upstairs to our lovely double room at the back of the property. The room was very tastefully decorated and had a four poster bed, comfy chairs and a large dressing table, flat screen tv etc. There were lots of extras, a lot more than we have found elsewhere and we slept well. Breakfast was very good and generous in size with plenty of choice. Sharing a table was not a problem infact it was lovely to talk to some Americans who were visiting the UK also staying.

We would love to go back if we are in the area again. Carry on the good work Lois and John you are doing an excellent job!

Room Tip: We had a room at the back which was quiet.
spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you so much for the delightful review. It meant even more to us knowing you have run a B&B yourselves

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Thai first
Orpington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Spire House for two nights whilst doing a week trip through Wiltshire, in August. We perused trip advisor.co.uk for quite some time before booking our accommodation, and each time kept going back to Spire House, before eventually booking! Something was telling us we just had to go there!

Upon arrival, Lois was the friendliest, warmest lady we have ever had the pleasure to meet! The room was exactly the one we had requested (which is brilliant as sometimes places try to give you a different one etc), all of the information was given to us and then again provided in a handy guide - which we definitely made the most of when it came to local restaurants etc!
The room was absolutely stunning, very relaxing, and an extreeeemely comfortable bed which I was considering strapping to the roof of the car and doing a runner! There's nothing worse than uncomfortable beds when you go away, and we just melted into this!

Breakfast was very tasty, generous portions and lots to choose from - fresh fruit salad, cereals, cooked breakfasts of all different types... Felt totally spoilt! The dining room is a long table which was most enjoyable to sit at and get to know other guests, as usually when you're away you keep to yourselves at meals. A welcome change!

Lois couldn't have been more helpful (we didn't have the pleasure of meeting her husband).
The cathedral is very close, town centre is very close too! Great location!
We didn't want to leave to go to our next destination (a spa)... But we will definitely be returning!!!

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Spire House. Lois was a wonderful host, incredibly helpful and very friendly right from our first phone conversation to book our stay there. Lovely room, clean, bright and with a very comfy four poster bed. Breakfast was equally great. Thanks!

spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write this lovely review. Our business really depends upon these positive comments.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I'm not someone who usually likes B&Bs - they can be claustrophobically small and cramped, and I sometimes feel the owners are ambivalent about having guests at all. Not so with Spire House. John and Lois are the very warmest of hosts, and the rooms are comfortable and have every amenity you would want; the bed was comfortable and the view of the cathedral was great. Breakfast was generously portioned and tasty (may proper sausages rather than chipolatas might be an improvement?) and the hosts were always in good spirits and helpful.

All in all this is an excellent place to stay in Salisbury, largely due to the charm and helpfulness of John and Lois.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Hi Many thanks for the lovely review. Maybe we have changed your mind about staying in
B& Bs, I do hope so. The chipolatas v sausage question is one that I have considered in depth and have decided the 2 chipolata to one sausage is preferable. I cook everything to order, sometime cooking 12 breakfasts and sausages do take a long time to cook but most importantly I can always be sure that the thinner chipolata is cooked all the way through. I have a massive fear of giving a guest an under cooked sausage. With reference to the value, I noticed that you booked using LateRooms which is a great service but you actually pay a Double rate for single occupancy with them. So next time (hope there will be a next time:)) book with me directly and I will give you a cheaper single occupancy rate.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Spire House for six nights in August, and discovered a real gem! We received a very friendly welcome, and then were shown to our room which was absolutely lovely. The whole house is very tastefully decorated. I had asked Lois for a quiet room as I am a light sleeper, and we were given a room at the back overlooking the garden, and it was indeed quiet. We had a four poster bed, a lovely dressing table area, adequate hanging space and drawers for our clothes, a fridge, tea making facilities, and a fan (which we used alot as it was a hot week!), flat screen TV, comfy chairs, even a bookshelf of books to read if you so wished! Lois and John seem to have thought of everything!
The dining room is set out with a large farmhouse kitchen table, which can seat all guests for breakfast, if they all came down at the same time (but they didn't!). It was a really friendly, informal setup, and we met some really nice guests during the week. The food was delicious, and Lois and John really looked after us well. They also gave us some recommendations for eating out. Every place they suggested was absolutely spot on!
Finally, I must mention the location. It is easy to find, and is only a couple of minutes walk from the cathedral, several museums, and also the shops. So once again, full marks!
I can't say enough good things about this B&B! It really is excellent! Thank you Lois and John for a fantastic stay!

spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Hello once again and a big Thank You for this fantastic review. We are so glad you enjoyed staying with us. John and I really like it when our guests are here for several days, we are very proud of Salisbury and its great when we see visitors getting to know the area and really enjoy it.
Ashcott, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We only stayed for one night but were made to feel so welcome by the owners. Four poster bed made the night extra special. Lovely decorated spacious bedroom. So close to cathedral and town. Great idea to have books to swap! We will return.Thanks.

spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Hi John and I were so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Delighted you approved of the book exchange, I always read dozens of books on holiday and live in fear of running out :)
Burien, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I would like to start this review by saying my husband and I are not "Bed & Breakfast" people... whatever that means :) We have never staying in a B&B before but this was the best price for the money as we were traveling overseas. The room was great, as nice as any hotel. Location is perfect, right across from the Cathedral and a very short walk into town. Breakfast in the morning was HUGE and there were choices. I would recommend this to anyone!

spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Oh what a lovely review and even better when I realised what an experienced traveller/reviewer you are. John and I were delighted that we changed your opinion about staying in a B&B

Been to Spire House? Share your experiences!