“Great location - quality slipping” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great location - quality slipping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have been frequenting the Lazy Cow for about a year now. It used to be great, but the last couple of times the service has been poor and the stakes were late, cold and carbonised last Saturday. When this was pointed out to the server she said she couldn't see that anything was wrong.

Visited May 2013

Salisbury
“Meat and Gravy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

From the outside, The Lazy Cow in Salisbury looks fairly unassuming. There are a couple of signs giving you the name of the place and what has become almost the standard on the exterior of city restaurants; signs proclaiming to have 'the best' this or that. I hadn't gone in for a Sunday lunch though, this was Friday dinner after a week away from the wife.

The decor of the place is pretty relaxed; it hasn't been dressed up to come across as a classy restaurant and you could easily see yourself having a few drinks with friends at the bar or sitting down for a relaxed bite to eat. That kind of atmosphere that puts you at your ease instantly without leaving you feeling anxious that you might put a fork out of place and incur the wraith of some snooty waiter. A quick peek into the ageing fridge gave a reasonable hint of what was to come and is genuinely a stand out feature.

We were shown to our table with little fuss, presented the menus with a description of the specials that were on and what was off; unfortunately no lobster or bavette which had both run out. Having ordered a robust Malbec, suggested by the staff as an excellent partner to the steaks on offer, we then set about examining the menu whilst nibbling on the gratis herb bread. Despite some of the usual suspects being on the menu for those who weren't in the mood for one of the steaks that are the main focus, the menu had a good balance and would suit most tastes.

As a starter, we plumped for the Chinese chicken wraps and some hot buffalo wings. The wraps took the form that seems to be hitting the trend these days in that the chicken was pulled and then meant to be wrapped in a lettuce leave with some diced vege's; cabbage, bell peppers and what might have been a touch of ginger. For me, the idea was good and the taste okay but the chicken was a little on the bland side. The wings on the other hand can only be described as finger licking good with a cheeky little hot sauce coating that kept you going back for more. There was a hotter version on offer (if you finished them you got them free) but I steered clear in order to save my pallete for the main event.

Both the wife and I went for the longhorn beef but they did have on offer cuts of Argentinian and USDA prime beef which all would be cooked to order and, for those who weren't sure, included a description of where on the animal they were taken from and what you might expect from the the taste. I went for the ribeye, cooked rare, and she went for the sirlion, cooked medium. Now, fine dining it is not but, excellent steak presented in such a way as to focus on the quality of the meat it is. The half cob of corn, roasted garlic and little bit of green leaf didn't detract from the steak but gave you an option if you needed a texture break as you ate. And, I have to say, the meat was tremendous and cooked absolutely to perfection. I've not had a better steak anywhere in Salisbury and probably not whilst I've eaten in England.

As a side, we went for a standard fries and a cheesy bacon fries both of which were tasty but the cheesy fries had a slight sweetness to them which, although I liked, wasn't to to the taste of her in doors. To finish, there's plenty of choice in the dessert department; I'd reccomend the dessert shots, and a good variety of teas, coffees and the ubiquitous coffee liquer. Top all of that with a good line in cocktails and you start to understand that not only is this a particularly tasty venue to haunt for dinner but also an excellent starting point for a quality night out with friends. Over all, a thunbs up from me. Not the kind of place you'll need to wear jacket and tie for, it doesn't try to be, but definately the sort of place that you want to relax and enjoy, something it succeeds in being, easily.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Signs claiming best Sunday dinner in town!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We are in the area in our caravan, on the drive into town to grab last min bits we had forgotten we spotted signs claiming best Sunday lunch in town. We had to find out! The place look fantastic! Fitting n fixtures looked good quality staff well dressed and nice and friendly. I like the fact there is a meat ageing fridge on show. I'd say this is one of the best steak houses around! The food was fantastic, nice to see they catered well for kids. You must go in and try this place good range of food to suit taste and budget! Thanks guys!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Worlds smallest Margarita!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My first time in this restaurant / bar. It had been reccommended by friends and we popped in for a few drinks before moving on to a restaurant elsewhere in Salisbury (see my review Charter 1227).
Friendly staff keen to help although a bit pretentious. No No No. The real point of this review is to highlight the riduculaous size of the margarita glasses. For £7.00 plus, I did feel a bit short changed! See photo.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southampton, United Kingdom
“jury's out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

As a party of 4, we visited the Lazy Cow for my birthday last Friday. We arrived half an hour early and our table was ready so we sat there as opposed to the bar (where we thought the music was a little too loud) and ordereed drinks. The worse part of the evening was the wait for the drinks, they took nearly half an hour and we had to ask the waitress to find them. Within our group we had ordered two glasses of prosecco, they have a Friday night deal where house bottles of prosecco or champagne are halfprice before 7pm, we placed our order at 6.50pm so it would have been nice if the waitress has told us about this. We read the sign for ourselves before the drinks arrived and got the glasses swopped for a bottle (well worth doing - two glasses would have been £10, the half price bottle was £11.50!). The food, particularly the starters, were delicious. I can see what they are trying to do with the 'shot' desserts but it doesn't really work, some of them didn't taste that nice. Overall we had a very pleasant evening and I would return but something was lacking, maybe it was just the slow service at the start, but the 'wow' factor was missing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere