“Some aspects OK but also some fundamental issues” 1 of 5 stars

Milford Hall Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   206 Castle Street, Salisbury SP1 3TE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Salisbury
winchester
“Some aspects OK but also some fundamental issues”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Booked when attending a function in Salisbury. As this was a rare night away without our 2 year old daughter, we booked an executive room, paying in advance for the privilege

Check in was quick, with no mention of any issues with our booking. When we got to our room we were a little disappointed with the quality. I went to reception for the wifi (why hotels don't offer you the code when you check in is beyond me) and went on to their website to check the room descriptions. It was pretty obvious straight away that we had not been given the room we had paid for. I went back to reception and asked for confirmation that we had been given the right category room, I was first told we had not booked an executive room and then when I challenged this, told just as quickly that the difference in cost would be refunded to us. I find it pretty unacceptable that the room we paid for was not available. Whilst the offer of a part refund ensured we were not overcharged for a standard room, this is not really the point. Had we known an upgraded room was not available, we would have stayed elsewhere.

Will not use again, as this is such a fundamental issue. This is not a 300 bedroom hotel with multiple room types, but a small provincial hotel. If they cannot get such a basic thing right what hope is there. Worse still, we were not told, seemingly in the hope we would not notice which does not exactly demonstrate integrity.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AmandaGuest, General Manager at Milford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Further to our recent telephone conversation, it was nice to talk to you and discuss both the positives and negatives with reference to your recent stay with us.

I would once again like to thank you for taking the time to review Milford Hall Hotel on Tripadvisor and please be assured that I have taken the appropriate measures to address all points raised to prevent future occurrence.

Please contact me personally to make your next bedroom reservation and I look forward to the opportunity to restore your faith in Milford Hall Hotel and provide you both with a pleasurable experience.

Acting Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here with my mother over bank hol weekend was extremely happy with the hotel and staff! It was my first break without the children for a very, very long time and all I requested to my mother when she was arranging our break, was that we stayed somewhere nice, and not a long walk from the town, and was pleased with her choice of this hotel. So easy to find, clean and the rooms value for money! The staff are effortless, charming and polite and always with a smile. Breakfast was buffet but was lovely. If you didn't fancy the buffet ( full English and I do mean the works, black pud, scrambled/ fried etc) then there was a menu to choose from including fish. The only thing and it was a tiny thing, was my mother order veggy sausages the day before and this was forgotten otherwise a LITTLE GEM waiting to be found. X

• Stayed August 2013
AmandaGuest, Manager at Milford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
A little gem, not the first time Milford Hall has been called this and it makes us smile when it is.

We are really pleased that your enjyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel value for money, so we thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor.

We hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Had my in laws 50th anniversary party for about 50 people for a 3 course sit down lunch, absolutely faultless, couldnt do enough for us, made the day very special. the food was lovely, the room looked fantastic and the staff were very proffessional, thanks to Alison Greenwood and her staff, 10/10

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
What a fantastic review!! Thank you.

Your wonderful comments have been passed on to Ali and all the team. We are so pleased your found your lunch faultless and we thank you again for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you once again to Milford Hall Hotel in the not too distant future.

Fareham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

The welcome at the front desk was an insight into the standard of service to come. The room was clean and had all the usual features one has come to expect although on this occasion it included a welcoming teddy bear on the corner of the bed. The reception staff has a good knowledge of the local area and made several excellent recommendations for local hostelries to take my American colleagues.
We were on a tight schedule in the mornings but this was no problem and we were welcomed into breakfast early. The breakfast choice was excellent and the hot dishes were well cooked and thoroughly enjoyed by all.
I will certainly recommend this hotel to other members of our organisation.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Milford Hall Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Your fabulous comments have been passed forward to all of the Team who, I know will greatly appreciate it too.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Milford Hall Hotel on another occasion and we thank you for your recommendations.

Hampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed just one night, a Saturday. Staff were pleasant and very helpful. Room was what I would expect from a 4 star hotel, although the bed was rather hard for my liking and the person above was very audible when they walked across our ceiling! The location is easily accessible from the road network and a short walk into the city centre. There are also two good pubs nearby.

We booked dinner and I have to say it was excellent though at £89 for 2 with 3 courses and wine, not cheap. Though we did order the dearest steaks and the fillet & rib-eye were perfect and the sauces delicious. This encouraged us to book Sunday lunch after checking-out and at £8.95 for the main roast it was excellent; and, I noticed, seemed to be being served more to locals than guests! The pork had plenty of crackling and I would eat the roast sirloin of beef every week if I could, the roast pots & veg were also perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor with a garden view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a good review on Milford Hall Hotel and Salisbury Seafood & Steak House.

I was pleased to read that your dining experience on both occasions was pleasurable and that you enjoyed our offerings. Your comments have been passed on to both the Kitchen and Restaurant.

We very much hope to welcome you once again on another occasion!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here over the late May Bank Holiday.

On first inspection, the hotel seems a little way out of town. However this is not the case, the cathedral is about a fifteen minute walk. We quickly found out that it was more interesting (although slightly longer) to divert from the street to the riverside walk to get into the centre of town. The hotel's situation near the ring road also means that getting out to visit the numerous attractions by car is very simple and easy.

The hotel itself was undergoing some refurbishment and was not looking its best in some of the public areas but hopefully it should be back to normal soon. Our room was in the modern block behind the old building and was well appointed and comfortable.

The staff were friendly and welcoming.

If we were to return to Salisbury, we would definitely consider returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice comments about Milford Hall Hotel and the team. I was glad to read that you liked the hotel and that our staff were friendly and welcoming.

Please accept our thanks for your patience whilst our Hotel Lounge is under refurbishment. The new look hotel lounge will be open and ready for guests by this Friday and is looking truly stunning.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Milford Hall on your next visit to Salisbury!

Roydon, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Decided Monday afternoon to drive to Salisbury instead of going by train early the next morning to attend an appointment. Arrived 8.20 pm to a friendly greeting. Our room was on first floor - nice size & well equiped, bathroom small but clean. I was asked if I wanted to change room as my husband has a walking disability (I normal ask for ground floor but had forgot in my haste of booking) but we were happy with the room and only 1 flight of stairs. Dinner in restaurant was really nice as was the breakfast which was cooked to order which we prefer and a very good choice was offered. All the staff from Reception, Waitress/Barman and Cleaning Lady were all friendly and welcoming. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about all that you experienced at Milford Hall Hotel. There is no greater reward than reading excellent comments like yours. Your praise and complements have been passed on to all the team so once again THANKYOU.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Amanda L Guest

Been to Milford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!