“Good location, hotel exprience average, an elevator would have been welcome” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel

Special Offer
MERCURE SPRING OFFER
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Salisbury
Sydney
“Good location, hotel exprience average, an elevator would have been welcome”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The parking is around the back, and a little hard to find, but there is plenty of parking, which is lucky as the streets are narrow and many are one way. Overall the experience felt like the hotel was catering to the mass market, and the check-in and check out I found a bit painful. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, it was fine, but nothing to rave about. Our main issue with the hotel was that we up on the 2nd floor, and right down the end of one of the extended "wings" or the hotel, there was no elevator in the hotel, so we had to lug all our bags (there were six of us travelling) up several flights of stairs and down long corridors to get to our room. The redeeming feature of this hotel was the location. It is walking distance to the Cathedral, with its big grounds, and the afternoon at the Cathedral was a highlight for us, mainly because it was a beautiful day and the kids loved being able to stretch their legs and run around the grounds.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear JohnsonSix

Thank you for choosing the Mercure White Hart and for taking the time in letting us know about your stay.

I agree the hotel is in a good location for discovering Salisbury and within view of the Cathedral and Close and can be enjoyed by all ages, the hotel has an extensive car park to the rear of the property accessible via Brown Street and the hotel staff are always on hand to assist with directions.

We cater for all parties whether you are celebrating with others as a couple, with friends or family aswell as staying with us on business.

The hotel is a Grade II listed building and does not have permission to have an elevator in the main building, however future plans would include this facility in the bedroom extension, and I hope that this was not too inconvenient for you and your party and that we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Mark Postlethwaite, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The hotel’s in a great position for an easy stroll to the cathedral and main centre of Salisbury. There are lots of shops, pubs and restaurants nearby. There’s ample parking at the rear, down the one way street.

Breakfast was very good; nicely cooked, plenty of choice and attentive service from the staff.

Our room was fine, just about big enough but with plenty of electrical sockets to accommodate all of your modern day essentials.

Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear trev2906

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel and for taking the time in letting us know about your stay.

As you mentioned the hotel is ideally located for exploring the historic city including the cathedral and the fact that we have plenty of parking spaces available on site is a plus to our guests.

I was further pleased to read you enjoyed a very good breakfast which was well cooked and I have shared your comments with the team and I am sure will serve as encouragement for them all.

We appreciate your comments and recommendation to others and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Single room, B&B cost £109. Room was a decent size for a single and the bed was very comfy. There is some traffic noise as you would expect from a city centre location but secondary double glazing has been fitted. This is an old building so no air con but a fan is provided. Staff very polite & helpful. Room very clean. Very nice bathroom. On the down side, had to wedge a piece of card in the door to stop it rattling in the wind (I had the window open) and some of the stair carpet is threadbare. Breakfast very good. Desk & chair not good for using a laptop.

Summary: a bit pricey bit I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Drooper901

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel and for taking the time in letting us know about your stay with us.

I have shared your positive review with the team especially relating to the very polite and helpful attitude with all of our guests and I am sure that this will continue to serve as great motivation and a reminder that all their hard work is appreciated.

I have noted your concerns regarding the door and have shared with the maintenance department to remedy and hope that this did not cause any inconvenience to your stay. Once again thank you for your review and hope that we have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the future.

Salisbury UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and I dine regularly at the Mecure Restaurant. We find the best time is Sunday evening when it is quiet and the service is excellent. The meals are consistently good and, with a Tastecard, we receive 50% off the bill.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Morgan712

Thank you for posting your review and for your loyalty of the Squires Restaurant at the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart.

I was very pleased to read that you continue to enjoy your visits on Sunday evenings and enjoy excellent service, and I hope that we will continue to be of service when dining out in the city.

Whitstable
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Located in the centre of Salisbury, the White Hart Hotel is in a beautiful old building with a more modern wing at the back. It was a bit like the Curate's Egg, good - even excellent - in parts but not at all good in other parts.

The decor appeared a bit drab in places and could do with touch up, and in some of the corridors the floorboards creaked terribly: just a few screws would have resolved the problem. There were a few faults in my room which were reported to reception, but these were not rectified, even on a weekday.

The restaurant was a disaster. The atmosphere was bland and, while the hotel aims at a predominantly middle-aged middle class clientele, whenever I was in there, there was piped music of the kind one would expect to hear on Radio 1, aimed at young people under 25.

On the positive side the bar staff were always very helpful. It is a pity that they do not offer a real ale, but I was given a very logical explanation, and there are plenty of pubs in the vicinity offering real ale.

I wanted to check in early as I had to go out for the afternoon. Having telephoned a couple of days beforehand and been very courteously advised to ring in the morning of my arrival, I did so. The reply was that the receptionist would speak to the housekeeper and it should be possible to check in at the earlier time. When I got there, my room was ready.

There was reason to go to reception several times during my stay. Without exception, all the staff there were nothing short of excellent. For example, the TV remote control was not working properly: only a few minutes after I had returned to my room there was a knock on the door, and receptionist had a new one for me.

VERY POSITIVE: as soon as the general manager read my comments in the questionnaire I was sent after my departure, he sent me an e-mail asking for further details of my concerns. Clearly he takes the criticisms seriously as he e-mailed me later that day saying what action he was taking to deal with the problems.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Frank D

Thank you for taking the time to post your remarks following your recent stay with us at the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel.

I have shared your comments with the relevant staff members and I am sure this will serve as great motivation for the entire team, and reflects the attitude we have to customer care.

Once again we appreciate your comments and rest assured I will continue to monitor in the future and hope that we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the hotel when next visiting Salisbury.

Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was an evening with my 40 year-old son to visit old haunts in Salisbury, have a few beers and a meal out, therefore we did not eat in the hotel but did have a few drinks there. My room was clean, quite large, pleasant but a bit dark. The basin in the bathroom was very slow to clear and the bath hot water tap so slow that I ended up boiling the kettle a few times to get enough hot water for a bath. Breakfast was very good with an excellent choice. I found the staff very good, the bar and lounge area most pleasant for snacks, tea etc but the room disappointing. Overall I would say the hotel is average and a little overpriced.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Martin S

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart and for letting us know about your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed a good breakfast with an excellent choice of food and that you were looked after well by the very good staff we employ.

However I have noted your concerns relating to the bathroom ameneties and will review with the maintenance team and remedy accordingly.

I hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting the area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I have recently spent a night here and I found the room to be big, clean and cosy!

We asked if we could have a menu for the dinner than evening, When we arrived back at the hotel there was a menu placed on our bed!

The reception staff were very friendly and helpfull.

Only down side was the bed was slighty hard and not very long so my feet were of the edge.

Lauren Currey

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Lauren Currey

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel and for letting us know about your stay.

I was pleased to read that the accommodation was clean and cosy and very happy to note that the Reception staff were very friendly and helpful throughout your stay and I am sure that this will serve as great motivation not only for them but for the entire team.

Once again thank you for your kind words and hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the future.

Mark Postlethwaite, General Manager

Been to Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!