“Overnight stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avonlea House

Save Saved
You added Avonlea House to your Saves list
Avonlea House
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   231 Castle Road, Salisbury SP1 3RY, England   |
Ranked #5 of 51 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night here, as visiting Salisbury for our daughters 40th birthday, and she had a house full. What a wonderful guest house. Immaculate, well situated, great breakfast, and very friendly hosts. Anyone wanting to visit Salisbury, could not find a better place, central, walking distance into city 25 minutes, on bus route, free parking, and close to Stonehenge and surrounding area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Sheila, thank you so much for taking the time to post a review and such a wonderful review too. It was lovely to meet you and your husband. John and I enjoyed our chat with you on Saturday morning and are grateful for your marketing advice - we'll be checking out any future opportunities to put your advice in to practice soon. We hope to see you in Salisbury again soon - possibly as neighbours!

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

As many other reviewers have mentioned before, Jackie and John are wonderful, warm and welcoming hosts; the rooms at Avonlea House are spot on and everything in the B&B, from the breakfast to the amount of information provided tells that the owners really care about providing their guests with the best possible experience. Avonlea House has everything you can expect in a B&B. My wife and I really enjoyed our stay and we will definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Mateo, thank you so much for your wonderful review. It was so nice of you to take the time to post a review and it's lovely to know how much you enjoyed staying here. We greatly enjoyed your company and hope we will get the chance to welcome you back if you plan to organise another jump in the near future.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I took my Mum away for a few days and we couldn't have chosen anywhere better to stay than 'Avonlea House' !! All decorations & furnishings appear new, very stylish & tasteful plus everywhere was spotlessly clean. Jackie the owner was a very warm, friendly lady and a Great cook too !! She also recommended some excellent restaurants for dinner on both nights.

The house is also in an excellent position, only 5-10 Mins direct walk to the top of 'Old Sarum' and only 5-10 Mins direct drive to get parked in 'Salisbury Centre' - couldn't be easier.

Overall we had a wonderful stay, didn't want to leave and hope to return as soon as possible. Have already recommended Jackie & 'Avonlea House' to several 'Family & Friends' who are intending to visit Salisbury and the surrounding area. Mum keeps telling everyone how lovely her bedroom was !!

Thank-you once again Jackie for an absolutely faultless stay and it was a true pleasure to
meet you. We all hope to see you again soon !!

Room Tip: Both double rooms are Excellent, Mum loved her lemon & gold room at the rear of the house !!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hello Smith family. Thank you so much for such a kind and informative review. It was lovely having you all to stay and so glad your Mum enjoyed Room 3 as much as my Mum does. I really hope to see you again and your other family members if they are planning to visit their childhood home too.
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed at Avonlea 6 nights while we toured Salisbury and the area around it with another couple. All 4 of us agreed that the rooms were very comfortable with modern conveniences. The morning breakfast featured many items to eat and drink and each one was delicious. Jackie Goldsmith and her husband, John, were delightful people. Jackie was always friendy and eneregetic and helpful with travel tips for us. We would stay there again if we were to visit Salisbury again and we highly recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: There are 3 rooms of different size - small, medium and large. The medium and large offer the most...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you Jon for posting such a lovely review. It was so nice having you all to stay - it was lovely chatting in the breakfast room each morning. I do hope you enjoyed your remaining days in the UK and your friends continued to have a wonderful holiday in Europe and Russia.
morgantown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I only stayed for one night but we would highly recommend. After visiting Avebury and Stonehenge we wanted to spend the night someplace close. We were greeted by Jackie who showed us to our lovely room. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and clean. I would say it was one of the most lovely rooms and bathrooms we had on our trip. Breakfast was wonderful. The town of Salisbury is a few minutes away and a very nice place to have dinner. Agree with all the other great reviews.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm delighted you enjoyed staying with us so much and enjoyed your visit to Salisbury too. It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Whilst staying 1 night at Avonlea in August my husband became ill with pneumonia and was rushed to hospital by ambulance. The owner Jackie arranged the ambulance for me, taking us into her own lounge room for comfort and privacy whilst being attended to. My husband was In hospital for 8 days. During this time Jackie and her husband John looked after me over and above what I would have expected.From originally only booking 1 night I stayed a total of 10 nights. During this time Jackie had to move me from room to room as she had previous bookings. I spent each day at the hospital, so after I left each morning Jackie packed and moved all my belongings, she wouldn't let me do anything, she really looked after me. If I was not home by a certain time of a night, she would ring me at the hospital to make sure I was alright before she went to bed, The rooms were all immaculately clean and comfortable. The breakfasts were legendary. I cannot rate my experience of Avonlea any higher. It is not often you get such personal, caring attention from someone who started out as a stranger, but became my friend. I highly recommend this B&B to everyone.

Room Tip: I loved the back double room, very cosy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Sandra, my dear Australian friend who is no longer a stranger. The help I gave was a natural reaction to someone who was also so dear and kind. Just so glad I was there for you. Can't wait to visit you in Sydney :)
Heidelberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Unfortunately...
we only stayed for one night. We booked the large deluxe double room. And our expectations were more than fulfilled.
A warm welcome, a modern styled bedroom, the best bathroom throughout our UK vacation and a delicious English breakfast.
Walking into the City Center takes a bit more than 15 minutes and can easily be managed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you Sven for taking the time to post such a nice review. It was a pleasure having you both stay - you were so friendly. I am so sorry to know that you have suffered a car accident since returning home and hope that each day aides your recovery. Our best wishes to you both.

Been to Avonlea House? Share your experiences!