“The warden was so rude to me he nearly made me cry” 1 of 5 stars

You added YHA Salisbury to your Saves list
YHA Salisbury
Milford Hill, Salisbury SP1 2QW , England   |
England
“The warden was so rude to me he nearly made me cry”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

I terrible journey to get there and due to getting lost twice and having to negotiate 40 miles of thick fog I arrived late; 20 minutes after check-in closed, exhausted, stressed and desperately hoping that there was still someone up to let me in. (I had phoned ahead in plenty of time to let them I would be late. Nobody had answered but I left an answer phone message).

Luckily the warden was still up and about. Unfortunately he was on a power trip and decided not to let me in because I was late. He then made me grovel to him for about 10 minutes and was prepared to leave me out in a freezing cold night in November because I hadn't brought my passport to give him as security (I did have car keys, purse and credit card but apparently these didn't conform to his rules. I have never come across anybody so rude before in my life. The hospitality industry is definitely not the right place for him. He very nearly reduced me to tears.

Aside from the attitude of this particular member of staff, I will say that the hostel was clean and the breakfast was very good with a vast array of choice. I think it has been done up since the last reviews on here.

Its worth knowing that there were no individual reading lights and no plug sockets in my room but I will say that the standard is still very good. It is the most expensive hostel I've ever come across though and I would personally have preferred to pay £5 less and not have the breakfast.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — The horrible warden on an ego trip.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Columbus, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

First of all, it's the only hostel in Salisbury, so if you want inexpensive lodging you should plan ahead, and find something else at a comparable rate.
This hostel is not a friendly place.
A one-night stay in the hostel costs 20 pounds to share a room with eleven other men. A single is not that much more, but they get scooped up fast so book ahead.
Never ever stay in a room with eleven other men, because a quarter of them are bound to snore; and that's exactly what happened. I barely got any rest because of this. On top of the snoring was the ruckus that drunken hostelers were making when they woke everyone at 2am. And to add to the discomfort was the pathetic sheet set that is provided which is quite uncomfortable.
If you can get over the loss of sleep you would still have to buy a towel which costs three and a half pounds, (or $7) and you'd have to step into a shower where the drain is clogged by hair.
The one internet port in the hostel is expensive and restrictive.
The breakfast is good, but if you want extra items in your breakfast you have to be a member or pay more. They allow you to cook in the hostel, which is cool, but none of the grocery stores are open on Sunday, so don't go to Salisbury on a Sunday because not much is open in the town.
A good thing about the hostel is that it is located on beautiful, wooded grounds, and as you walk back to town you can pick some delicious blackberries that grow along the drive.

salisbury-manager, manager at YHA Salisbury, responded to this review, September 7, 2006
The hostel does have a selection of smaller double and four bedded rooms available to all customers, and all prices include breakfast. We also have a seperate Lodge for 20 guests to the rear of the main building. The breakfast we provide is very well received offering unlimited selections, and very popular.

The hostel is to undergo some refurbishment to some bedrooms, continuing the works already completed to incorporate a new bar area on the ground floor, much used by our guests at present.

The hostel is usually a very friendly place to stay, and letters and e mails from customers who come back year after year are testament to that.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2006

I stayed at the Sailsbury YHA for two nights, and even though they have a nice building and good breakfast, there were two major problems which turned my stay into a nightmare: First, there was a door right next to my dorm room which banged with such a loud noise every time anyone would walk through it, that made me wake up every time. So, I had two lousy nights with little sleep and lots of "bang". I once tried to put a newspaper under the door that would make it remain open all night, but apparently a staff member removed this quickly.
Secondly, on my second night, there was an old (maybe homeless) man staying in the bed on top of me which was totaly scary and smelled like not having showered for several weeks. Lying in the bed below, smelling this aweful stench and hearing the door going "bang" at least once in every 10 minutes, my only thoughts were: I want out of here, I want out of here. I can't believe the YHA staff members would allow this guy to check in and stay in a dorm room.
So, sorry, but I would strongly recommend to look for another place in the Salisbury area to anyone.

• Stayed June 2006
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

Salisbury YHA is a nice hostel with a pretty garden and off street parking. DIY kitchen or catering provided. Only a few minutes walk from the middle of town. Some rooms are in cabins at the rear which are NOT soundproof, but at least have their own small lounge. Beware, there was a school group when we were there.

• Stayed July 2004

Been to YHA Salisbury? Share your experiences!