“surprisingly good” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 218 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery
Description: A home from home place to come and enjoy a relaxing cup of coffee or a hearty, freshly cooked meal.Opening hours:- Mon-sat 8.30am-4.30pm
Swindon, United Kingdom
“surprisingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My first visit and I was impressed. Full when we arrived on a Saturday lunchtime, but my mobile number was taken and sure enough, once a table was free - we were rung and went back.
The staff are both friendly and efficient and the menu had interesting choices that included the 'norm' but also added in stuff that made a decision difficult. Good choices for those who are veggie or have issues with gluten, but I went for the very nice home made burger. My wife went for an slightly off-beat choice and really enjoyed it too.
It's a place that makes an effort with both it's service and it's menu and I am looking forward to going back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wiltshire
“Brilliant Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

A friend suggested that we tried Greengages, which I had never been to before. The whole experience, from the moment we walked through the door was just perfect. Really friendly, efficient and speedy service. There was an instant offer to bring us coffee if that was all we wanted, but both my friend and I decided to order food as well. My French toast with maple syrup and bacon was gorgeous, beautifully present and utterly delicious, with two good slices of high quality bacon. My friend had a toasted teacake, and was brought out a beautiful jam stand with a selection of three jams to choose. I also asked for a tap water to go with my cappuccino, and it came presented in a chilled, stoppered bottle, which was a lovely touch. The bill for my French toast, the teacake and two coffees was £12, which I thought was very reasonable. As I paid by card and only had coppers on me I could not leave a tip, but I will definitely be back.
Looking at the menu they offer lots of gluten free options and some very interesting sandwich fillings. The only downside I can think of is that I normally would be in the area later on in the afternoon, and I have a feeling that it might close at a time when I would think about taking my daughter in there for an after school treat. If Greengages look at the reviews, would you be able to post your opening hours? I am hoping that my hunch about hours is wrong, so that this becomes our go to café instead of Boston Tea Party.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richco747, Owner at Greengages Cafe, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit. Myself, Richard and my sister Louise work hard to make our business a warm, friendly and relaxing place to visit. I have updated our TA details regarding opening times, to confirm, these are Mon-Sat, 8.30am-4,30pm. You did express that it would be nice to visit after school and though we do close at 4.30pm, if you are here at that time, we do stay open for longer. Many thanks again and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Worthing, United Kingdom
“catch up meeting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Three of us had lunch here after meeting up. The meals we had were really nice and the jacket potatoe looked good even though I just had ham egg and chips. We felt this was good value and the young staff were very pleasant and polite. Definitely will return as it is a nice room upstairs, but also has seating downstairs.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Light lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I recently visited for lunch with a friend. I found the menu a tad overpriced for simple dishes such as sandwiches and baked potatoes though I did go for the potato with beetroot, cottage cheese and horseradish. It was very tasty but was a little modest on the topping and side salad. A shame as the salad consisted of baby leaves with a delicious house dressing. At around £6.50 I was left disappointed on value if not taste.

Visited October 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

In Salisbury for a few days, we first called in for coffee and cake. The following morning we called in for breakfast, which we both enjoyed, I had the gluten free option which was lovely, especially the gf sausages.

• Visited October 2013