“Romantic weekend for our anniversary!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge Avebury

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avebury
The Lodge Avebury
You added The Lodge Avebury to your Saves list
High Street, Avebury SN8 1RF, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Avebury B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Romantic weekend for our anniversary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I don't usually bother reviewing places I've stayed, but after visiting this beautiful B&B I felt compelled to write a glowing report.

As a vegetarian of 30 years, I found it thrilling to stay in such a delightful house in the middle of a stone circle. Even though I am from the UK I had never once visited Avebury. My partner booked us a room for three nights at the Lodge for our anniversary weekend and it was perhaps the most relaxing three nights I have had in the last few years. The bedrooms were beautiful, clean, comfortable, enormous soft beds, hand made curtains and bedding (we discovered after complimenting them to the host), and an exquisite breakfast to top it of. We were asked what time we would like breakfast which was lovely, as most places specify a time! We also got to decide what wanted and my husband arranged prior to our visit to have coconut milk instead of dairy which was a lovely surprise as most places don't accommodate for requests like that. Sleeping in the Lodge was lovely as we woke up to views of the stone circle and were 'twit twood' to bed by a hooting owl and the peaceful sounds of the country.

All in all we had a wonderful trip and we can't thank the Lodge enough for making our weekend so special. We have already booked a room for Christmas and will be returning in hope of a winter wonderland!

Room Tip: We stayed in the en Suite room as it had two windows over looking circle.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for such a kind review.

I hope you enjoy your stay in December just as much as the stay you have just reviewed. I genuinely wish every guest enjoyed their stay as much as you. Perhaps the reality is that some people come to enjoy themselves whilst others simply find it hard to unwind in life or are perhaps affected by inclement weather.

Kind regards and thank you so much for saying such nice things about The Lodge, Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked to stay at The Lodge for a few nights and took both rooms. The setting, rooms and the hosts were wonderful but we still left feeling short changed.

£175 for a room is a lot of money when breakfast is vegetarian and is made up of value baked beans, bland mushrooms, one single vegan sausage some average scrambled eggs, nice grilled tomatoes served with new potatoes! There was nice fruit salad, cereal and toast and jam but the cooked breakfast cannot justify the price.

The interior is a one off. The views are lovely, it's right by the stones but there was an air of the surreal about the whole experience.

At half the price it would be great. At this price you're paying for the location and a breakfast with a dry cardboard like vegan sausage, neither of which is worth it.

• Stayed July 2013
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
After reading this review I'm drawn to question why this reviewer chose to stay with us at all with such a clearly prejudiced attitude towards vegetarianism? As a vegetarian bed and breakfast, we serve vegetarian breakfasts, if that isn't what they wanted, then fine, there are plenty of non-vegetarian bed and breakfasts about. Criticism is helpful, dogma should be kept on a lead. Secondly, our guests choose what they want for breakfast, they arrive in the dining room to find a bowl of fresh fruit, (in this case it would have been strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, raspberry, nectarine and banana) a good choice of cereals, tea, freshly ground coffee or herbal tea, juice and a choice of white or whole grain toast, a fine selection of preserves and butter and indeed, the choice of a cooked breakfast, choosing what they want. It seems pedantic to critic the vegan sausages and then moan that they only received one sausage whilst giving each individual ingredient a critic of it's own.
The price of a double room hasn't increased since 2009 and the room rates are, from personal experience, mid range. We offer individual rooms overlooking a 5500 year old henge and guests are fully aware of the total cost at the point of booking. All our advertising states clearly that we are vegetarian and there is even a web site tick box to ensure enquirers are fully aware of this fact too.
Guests seem to interact and communicate well with me, many have become friends and about 30% of our annual bookings are repeat bookings. It therefore seems sad that this reviewer felt a complete inability to communicate any dissatisfaction with their guest experience whilst staying.
Rooms are steam cleaned 3 times a week in addition to the daily cleaning routine.
If people hold some misconception that antiques are unclean, that is a shame too.
In a world of instant response where everyone wants to be Bill Bryson, feedback is pivotal to keeping any business on track. That said, I can't help but feel this reviewer has some ingrained prejudice towards vegetarianism.
The Lodge was first established as a bed and breakfast in 2003. We're generally fully booked throughout the summer and have over the years only closed over Christmas.
Maybe this reviewer didn't mean to be offensive to me, there are certainly some positives and whilst I have checked the diary and can't find anyone from London booking both rooms for several days, I take the critic on the chin and another sausage has been introduced too!
3/5 isn't too bad after all! In fact, The Lodge has a higher Trip Advisor rating than many top flight hotels in London, whilst our room rates are about 50% less!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Lodge and would pretty much agree with what Alan W has to say. This is a perfectly sited B and B in a very special place, ideally placed for convenient access to all the local attractions. We had the same room as Alan and were entranced each morning on rising and each evening when about to retire by that wonderful view over Andrew's beautiful garden to the stone circle. This fascination was enhanced by the thoughtful placement of a big comfy chair, facing straight out of the window, just right for taking it all in.

We found Andrew chatty and helpful and enjoyed the place for what it is, a pleasantly eccentric historic house with a genial host. We thought it a privilege.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I booked from Australia over the internet and it could not have been easier or friendlier. Andrew was a perfect host - friendly, informative, highly personable, but also not too over-solicitous. I had the wonderfully comfortable room which looked straight over the Circle - and a well-placed arm-chair to help contemplation. Although the weather was bitterly cold, I was warm and comfortable for my one night stay. Plenty of hot water in the shower, and an excellent breakfast (I am not a vegetarian, but that really did not matter). Highly recommended if you would like a unique experience in the heart of one of the oldest sites in the UK.

Room Tip: Ask for the en-suite room. I did not see the others, but mine was just super - looking out ocer the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
When people take the time to write such kind words about a business you've put 10 years into, it rewards ones efforts hugely! Thank you for staying and for uploading some great photos too!
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is the best B&B me and my girlfriend have ever visited. The bed was huge and comfy, the shower was luxurious, the vege breakfast was delicious and the host was friendly, patient and generous with his extensive knowledge of the area.

If you're interested in the theories and cultures that Avebury inspires, this is also the place for you: the B&B is decorated with compelling pagan imagery, which adds mystique to the place's natural warmth.

On top of all this, the TV had millions of channels, visitors are free to come and go at whatever time they choose (we visited the stones at 6.45am to catch the dawn) and the place has incredible views: both our bedroom and the breakfast table looked out over windows looking directly onto the stones. This is no ordinary place - and it's definitely worth the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I agree with all that is said about the setting and I loved the deco and the unique room. The owners were friendly and helpful with regard to advice about the local area. However considering it was by far the most I had ever paid for a B&B (we paid £300 for 2 nights), I thought the breakfast was ok - nothing special and was really put off by the lack of toiletries in the bathroom - not even some guest soap on the sink (even the Travel Lodges provide that) and a horrible cheap family bottle of cheap shampoo and body wash. We did have coffee and tea but not a sniff of a biccy! It just seemed a little mean which is a shame.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
I'm glad this reviewer enjoyed their visit to Avebury and that The Lodge interior didn't disappoint and indeed, found me helpful too. Trip Advisor is a useful tool not just for Guests but also for Owners. Why? Well, without feedback, how do we know how we can improve on what we as B&B owners do?

I feel slightly perplexed; In the bathrooms you'll find a range of hand wash, body wash and shampoo's as you would expect. They're prepped for each guest booking too. There's also a friendly note that if there's anything you need to compliment your stay then please ask. If hair conditioner and a packet of hob nobs had increased my rating, I would have been only too delighted to offer them.

From memory, I'd found this reviewer a delightful guest and I'm slightly saddened that they didn't simply ask for some biscuits whilst staying, especially when they seemed to find me an approachable host.

Oh well. Thanks to staying and thank you for the review too.

All best wishes, Andrew
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at the lodge in October & I cannot recommend this unique B&B enough!
I loved waking up to that wonderful view of the stones this really is a special place & I cannot fault the owner Andy & Sue who could not be more welcoming with such great info on the history of Avebury.
The room was very comfortable & breakfast was very good, had a wonderful couple of days & I will certainly be back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Lodge Avebury? Share your experiences!