“Good pub with great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Rivonia, Gauteng, South Africa
“Good pub with great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Ambiance was great, beer fabulous and food OK (not great).
I used this as my day time base whilst rambling around the henge and Silbury Hill, went away to New Inn at Winterbourne Monkton each evening, I was directed there by the pub owner initially, which I took to be Winterton Mountain, which it of course was not. I said to after three repeats of the question that I had difficulty understanding cause they all spoke funny, to which they all laughed, it was me speaking funny of course.

Visited July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Best lamb shank ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am surprised by some of the reviews, we must have been lucky or maybe they change chefs. However, I can only say good things about this place. We visited for an early Saturday lunch, before the pub filled up so the service was quite quick, staff were friendly, the historical setting is quite fitting, overall a very nice village pub. But was was absolutely amazing was the food we had, the lamb shank with minty gravy was just heavenly! Meat incredibly tender falling off the bone, tasty gravy, an excellent pub dish. The cauliflower and cheese tart was also very good.

Visited May 2013
Munich, Germany
“Fried and microwaved”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a shame, such a historic English village well deserving of great pub food and beers in a quaint country pub. Sadly much about what makes English food known the world over!! Whatever you want if it can be microwaved or fried - greezy style. Enjoy the Henge and stick to a beer and packet of crisps...

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

.The Red Lion is a really good restaurant. The decoration is old fashioned, that is amazing beautiful.
The burger was really good and really big too. I had a really good time at the restaurant .The pub is in a nice village.

Portland, Oregon
“Must be the reputation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The four of us had lunch. My sandwich may have had a gram of meat in the ciabatta but I'm still not sure. The greens amounted to about a tablespoon with an eyedropper of dressing. Service was so so. I'd look elsewhere if I were you.

• Visited April 2013