“Very good food and generous portolns” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Chilli

Red Chilli
Great George Street, Leeds, England (Leeds City Centre)
0113242 9688
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #317 of 1,306 restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions
Neighborhood: Leeds City Centre
“Very good food and generous portolns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Smart and modern surroundings, food was very good with an extensive menu. Portion sizes were generous and prices are reasonable, well worth a visit. One of our party had crispy rice which was like rice cakes and very dry. Service was quick and attentive.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

70% Recommend
“At last real Chinese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Ok so where do I start? The English mans perception of Chinese food is totally inaccurate, you can leave your gloopey bright red sweet sauces, this is the real deal! There are "English Chinese" options available but for gods sake don't choose them! Here is a list of majorly amazing foods Jing dong cake, any type of dumpling, twice cooked belly pork, soft shell crab, stuffed intestines, dan dan noodle, Beijing noodle! But the star of the show, Beijing roast duck, if you even think about ordering crispy duck when Beijing is in offer there is something wrong with you, this stuff is heavenly! Service is amazing! Just ask the staff for authentic dishes you will be blown away, and FYI, sausages skins are intestines so don't be afraid to think outside of the box!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Bang average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

A good menu and decent food. No dishes went as far as exceptional, but most of them were quite flavoursome.

The atmosphere and decorum is poor. It looks dated and doesn't appear to have much investment. I felt the furnishings and fittings were generally quite tacky. If what you want is somewhere for a low key bite, don't let this put you off - but it doesn't make the grade for anything more special than that.

The staff were friendly and helpful. On arrival they greet you with a smile and appear eager to serve. Throughout the meal they paid attention and were on hand when we needed drinks etc.

On the whole, there were a few things a little weak and a few things quite good. If you're passing and hungry, it would be worth dropping in - but don't make a special journey.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lived Up To It's Name”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is somewhere we have walked past and wondered. This time we went in.

I think the fact that the cliental were predominantly Chinese is always a good indicator for a Chinese restaurant.

The menu is full of interesting things that you don't get on a standard menu - Duck tongues, pigs ears, Ox heart, tongue and tripe. Sadly the people I was dining with weren't that adventurous!

We chose to share our food, this proved to be ideal although the portions were very generous so we ended up with a pack up.

For starters we had the chicken satay, spring rolls, seaweed, deep fried squid, and spare ribs in OK sauce. All were excellent quality although the seaweed was cut a little too coarsely for me.

For mains we had chicken breast with sweet spicy sauce, shredded fillet steak with chilli, stir fried pork with crispy rice and stir fried soft shell crab. The portions were enormous, and again the quality was good, although not all quite as we expected. The fillet was crispy so had become a bit chewy which seems a real shame for fillet. Both the fillet and the chicken were really spicy - the beef was a 3 chilli rating so that was expected but the chicken only 1 chilli, this was fine for us but could be a problem for others who want a milder flavour, and wasn't as sweet as we expected. The crabs appeared to be more deep fried with no sauce rather than stir fried.

Whilst the food wasn't as we expected it was still brilliant and I definitely intend to return, hopefully with people who will try something a little different !

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, authentic Chinese food....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My partner and I visit Red Chilli on a regular basis and again today, stopping in for an early dinner after a quick shopping trip in Leeds. I have tried many of the dishes on the menu and enjoyed them all. My partner has found a favourite in the spicy poached beef and gets this every time we go now, it is fantastic, authentic Chinese food with great flavours. I thought it was time I finally got round to reviewing Red Chilli, I have been reluctant to give an objective review in the past due to some of their menu items - namely sharks fin soup. I appreciate this is a traditional, delicacy but I do not agree with the practices used to obtain them, however I am pleased to note that since our last visit they have now removed it from the menu. Nice ambiance, good service although a little slow this time (we had to wait for one of the main dishes), the best egg fried rice I have ever had anywhere, reasonably priced and no need to book when visiting early evening/late lunch. We have booked in the past when visiting on an evening with larger parties. Once you've tried one of the dishes you'll definitely want to go back to try the rest!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere