“I'll NEVER eat THAT....!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
west midlands
“I'll NEVER eat THAT....!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ate here whilst staying just next door at the Holiday Inn Express. Saw it on TA, read the reviews so gave it a go.

The place is obviously really popular, the car park was pretty full and the coach of Chinese students just loading to leave !. Outside - just a modern box, inside - an oriental palace !.

They were still busy, so we were asked to wait a few minutes so we read the menu. Opting for the set meal we sat down and order taken.

Soup - maybe 15 minutes wait. They clearly have mixed up "soup bowl" with "pudding basin" though; my god, what a portion !. However, since it was absolutely amazing, we emptied them.

Then we waited, and waited.....and began to get worried. The guy on the next table grabbed a passing waiter and said he had been waiting for 40 minutes !.
Starters came after prompting twice, again excellent - well prepared, tasty and hot.

Then we waited, and waited,,,,,not even being asked if we need more drinks, usually a feature of Chinese restaurants to boost their takings. Eventually the mains came and again, absolutely great. The special fried rice was a meal in itself, having almost as much prawn and meat content as rice.
We did our best, leaving only rice......
By then we had been in there almost 3 hours !. In all honesty, if they had been quicker we would have had a problem digesting it all, so in all fairness it was probably best that we caught them on a bad night. When we paid the bill, we mentioned it, and they admitted that yes - it was a bad night for them.
Good problem to have though - too many customers !

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely food....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

The receptionist in the holiday inn hotel pointed us in the direction of maxis and we are so glad we decided to take her advice. We had an excellent meal and at a reasonable price. I would definitely eat here again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire
“Love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We visit Maxi's everytime we come up to Leeds-it's tucked away and your not sure what you will find but its huge inside.

Staff are efficient and attentive-we had the banquet for two - make sure your hungry as you won't want to miss a mouthful.

Price is reasonable too - I think your bill racks up on the drinks x

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We went to Maxi's on a local recommendation and it was good advice. It was early evening and quite busy but staff were very attentive without going too far. The meal for two was great and we could not manage it all. Food was well prepared, staff were friendly and helpful as well as being very industrious. It was a good find.

Visited July 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A good restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My friend and I went to this restaurant on July 6th. I have been coming to this restaurant on and off for a period of 19 years at least, and only ever had one bad meal (not the case in this visit)

Seeing as it was the weekend I thought that the restaurant may be full, however we got a very good table ( I like to sit and people watch). The waiters were speedy in coming over and providing us with the menu, they asked us promptly if we wanted drinks. As we have been here before we knew what to have (I always have the same dish as it is my favourite) and they took our order promptly! The food came reasonably quickly, (It was good, as I was quite hungry so I was glad) and as usual the meal was very nice.

No time the meal was gone, and the time in which it took us to get the bill was good.

All in all a good visit and the food and service were spot on.

Looking forward to my next visit when funds permit :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere