“Fantastic Service, whats the fuss about?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #178 of 1,389 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Bar 166 opened in Horsforth in December 2004 as a first time project for Matthew Jones, answering the prayers of Horsforth residents in dire need of an upmarket, multi-purpose venue to eat and drink in.The food is fantastic in its simplicity, offering luscious British meals, all at very affordable prices. The evening bistro menu is priced at £5.50 for starters and main courses start at £11, a bargain considering the quality and freshness.The bar is lively and welcoming with an exceptional drinks array. On a weekend the bar plays a wide range of funky, soulful music, culminating in an electric atmosphere.Food served 7 days:Monday to Friday, 12-3pm and 5.30pm-close. Saturdays and Sundays, all day from 12pm.Bar open all day from 12pm, 7 days a week.
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Service, whats the fuss about?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I unfortunately cant speak for the restaurant as it was too busy to eat in when we arrived, but the bar area wasn't too bad so we sat down for some grub there.

We chose items off the " for £12.50 menu; a real bargain as some of the items were £10 on their own!

The food was lovely; I had a lovely burger which tasted succulent; home made and fresh [the most important thigns for me!] My partner decided on the fish and chips as we'd been told the fish is locally sourced from an excellent fishery, and it didnt disappoint!

Afterwards we had plans to go for a nice walk around Horsforth as we'd never been before, but stayed for a few drinks instead. Despite the bar starting to fill up, the bartenders talked us through the cocktail menu, and when I couldn't see anything I fancied, made me a custom one off the cuff! After reading certain reviews on here I find it incredibly hard to see where the bad service reviews come from. Granted, I didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment, but the guys on the bar were incredibly welcoming and obviously love their job; I'd expect to see them in a posh, expensive cocktail bar rather than a friendly bistro.

The staff as a whole looked professional, were always smiling and when I did notice someone complaining about a wait for their table, they were offered a free bottle of wine whilst they waited!

This is an absolute gem and I sincerely hope it continues to grow. We'll be back as soon as possible and hope to eat in the restaurant next time!

Perth, Australia
“Excellent Restaurant and Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Back after 18 months overseas and this restaurant & Bar continues to be excellent value for money, laid back atmosphere, great wait staff, coffee excels, food is excellent value for money. I enjoyed snacks in the bar and on another occasion a full restaurant meal with friends. Well done to th whole crew.

• Visited April 2013
Yorkshire
“Great local wine bar & restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We visit the wine bar every week. (Even have a loyalty discount card). Sometimes frequent the restaurant too. I always have fish (salmon, prawns etc.) Husband enjoys their steaks. Often have special deals ie. Wednesdays etc. The staff are very good and even if you haven`t booked can often fit you in. You can also book online too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Ten Out Of Ten !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having Just organised my Mum & Dad's Golden Anniversary at the Bar 166 & Bistro this Easter Sunday I would like to say to John and his team at Bar 166 & Bistro a massive thank you for making it a night to remember. The service all night was Excellent even with the Popular Bank Holiday Karooke night in the main bar. The food was outstanding and the service behind the bar was second to none and nothing was a problem all night. My Mum & Dad went away with huge smiles on the face and everyone who came enjoyed the night. If your thinking of a similar kind of night I would put the Bar 166 & Bistro to the top of your list.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A good Bistro meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Went last night as one of 12 in a party.
Everyone enjoyed their meal, everyone enjoyed the atmosphere.
My meal was superb - Belly pork with black pudding and Apple-mash.
Lovely crackling, tender meat that was cooked perfectly, lovely mash(yes, top spuds - freshly made, buttery. light and topped with real bramley apple sauce, yummy)
Others chose burgers anfd the like, and were ok.
Everyone envied my pork, defo the star dish of the night.

One criticism - the ceiling in the bar area is low, and this magnifies certain sounds. Specifically, excited girly voices grate somewhat, and their happy shreiks and cackles drown out all other sounds, bit like a knife scraping inside a saucepan, a bit much.
Good service, good value Bistro meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere