“The best in Leeds” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 1,389 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Free parking on main and side street cctv in operation
“The best in Leeds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We've eaten regularly at Rajas for the last 20 years - and it's the best Indian food I've had in leeds. The food is punjabi in origin and a step above the 'bog standard' generic, gravy pot fare. Excellent fish pakoras, superb lamb saag and the vegetable curries are very very good. The service is also very friendly and helpful. The owner is someone whom clearly cares about both his food and customers - and this is reflected in the consistency and quality. My only concern is that it'll ever change!

Visited May 2014

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Sorry doesn't do it for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I noticed this restaurant was ranked No1 in Leeds,and never having been we decided to give it a try tonight.

We arrived 6 30pm and there was already a few people in.We were asked if we had made a reservation which we hadn't,but were shown to a table.

We had poppodums and pickle tray whilst looking at menu.We ordered a large bottle of cobra each.I had mushroom bhajis,and other half had onion bhaji.I had chicken dopiaza which I didn't really enjoy,but my partner enthused about their chicken korma.I must say the restaurant was extremely busy with a couple of large parties and obviously regulars dining.We even spotted a local tv presenter in there.

The bill came to £40 including service for the pair of us.I really wanted to like this place as we live locally,but won't rush back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bikrampalsingh, Owner at Raja's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.we are only in business for the last 31 years,because of you ,THE CUSTOMER . our only aim is to look after to your needs and serve you ,so good ,that you keep coming back to for more.
I am very sorry ,that you didn't enjoy your meal and your friend's meal was fine. i understand ,that you are local. well HERE is my invitation,come and taste a hundred curries if you have to ,iUNTIL ,we get to the one you like .And i am sure we will be able find some.
I sincerely hope that you are going take me up on that.It will cost you NOTHING. so now give me a ring on 07711985582 (RAJA) lets start .
Washington DC
“Absolutely the best Indian restaurant I have visited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I am a professional traveller and I get very tired and easily bored being on the road. I counter this by trying to carefully research out one or two restaurants in each city I am tasked with visiting. For Leeds the choice has been made easy by discovering Raja's. What a charming welcome by Raja and his staff for starters! They are busy but take time to stop and help you with the decision making from the menu. I am trying to work through the menu each but I keep ordering the chicken chili garlic. Simply perfect, washed down with a cold Cobra. I simply cannot find anything to fault about this restaurant and its wonderful staff. Raja sets the standard for others to strive for. Can't wait for the next visit.

Visited April 2014
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Doesn't get better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have eaten here many times. It's strengths are a warm and considerate host (Raja) who is a Sihk (with all the attributes of dignity and quality that that implies) and is very hands on and has retained the SAME STAFF FOR TWENTY YEARS! That tells you a lot right away. His attention to detail is a joy to watch and results in excellent food. The next strength is the staff: delightful attentive caring service and chefs who obviously enjoy their work: you can watch them cook and you will come to the same conclusion.

Next is the unfailing excellent quality of the food: I have eaten in a zillion Indian restaurants (incidentally most in the UK are actually Bangladeshi with staff from just one city: Sylhet). Rajas remains the only authentic Indian and by far the best freshest food anywhere.

Finally ambience! Incomparable.

When you go for the first time place yourself in Raja's hands and ask him to make recommendations based on your taste. I saw a negative review on here from someone acknowledging all the excellent qualities but bemoaning the fact their buriyani was too mild! Well dur! Be specific and Raja will cook what you ask for and often do off menu items.

My favorites: his tikka is unusual in UK as not covered in red sauce but SO tasty and tender (heavenly). Garlic and chilli chicken is more like a drug than a food it's so addictive and his saag gosht is rich garlicky and creamy. Go for it. Simon

harrogate
“fantastic food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Went to Raja last week for the first time after reading other reviews.We got a very warm welcome on arrival the staff very well dressed and the resturant had a very authentic feeling. The menu had a great seletion but not to much and food was fantastic. We had a Mix tandoori and a fish pakora (was very tasty) followed by garlic lamb that melted in the mouth. All in all great night out and great vaule.Will be going again very soon. Thanks to all the staff

• Visited April 2014