“The very best!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Free parking on main and side street cctv in operation
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“The very best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have been going to Raja's since I was a toddler and I used to take packed dinners before I was slowly introduced to curry. Over the years the very friendly atmosphere has meant that I got taught about the tandoori oven, played cricket with the staff at the back of the restaurant as well as enjoy three birthday parties there. When you go to Raja's you can not only expect exceptional curry but also a great atmosphere. Now at the age of 21 I often go there with groups of friends and my parents still go there very often. Raja's is without doubt the best curry I have had and I will always continue to go there as long as I live in Leeds. All in all, my favourite restaurant.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I eat at Raja's every week It is the only truly Indian restaurant I will eat at. The quality of the food I have never bettered any where. The ingredients are fresh every day and cooked to order. Superb flavours, superb service with a smile, and quality and price you will not find anywhere. If you are staying in the centre of Leeds, do not waste money on over inflated prices on City centre restaurants jump in a cab and £3-4 later you are at Raja's. I can not recommend it highly enough from local regulars to TV celebrities we all eat here.

“Very disappointing!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

3 of us went to Rajas after reading some great reviews on trip advisor and hearing some good stuff through word of mouth. When we arrived the restaurant was quite small and the kitchen was open for customers to see, which was quite good.. The menu was pretty basic and didn't consist of some usual Indian dishes (ie madras).. A cheeky little waiter brought us some poppadoms which were more like tacos (folded over) and the pickle trays were awful. Mango chutney was so thick it wouldn't come off the spoon and there was no onion pickle tray. We got the lamb chops for starters and when they arrived they looked like something you would get in prison, some looked like the chefs had a cheeky bite on them before serving. The meat was quite nice but there were no flavour at all. We thought that surely the curries would redeem this what was so far a disaster...we couldn't have been more wrong. My chicken chilli dish didn't have a hint of spice in it and was more like chicken tomato soup, not one bit of flavour ... The lamb garlic dish was more like lamb in gravy.. Again lacking flavour and the lamb in spinich was just Scandelous..even the naan bread was naan naan dry dry with just lumps of what seemed to be lazy garlic smothered on the naan. I've neve wrote a review before but this place deserved one for been so pap. Don't bother going your better getting a microwave one from tesco, tasted more flavour in a rich tea biscuit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hartlepool
“I have eaten a lot of curry in my life but this one was the best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I chose to visit this restaurant after reading great reviews on the internet. I had driven past the place many times but never really noticed it.

We were seated and brought drinks and poppadoms pretty much immediately by very friendly and attentive staff do first impressions were very good.

The owner then came over to chat to us and as well as taking our meal orders he helped us choose from the menu making suggestions based on what we said we liked. He also talked to us about the restaurant's 28 year history and clearly had a passion for what he did as well as valuing the experience of his customers. It was also nice to hear that the majority of staff had worked there for over 20 years.

After recommending a couple of dishes he also made the disclaimer that if we disliked anything he would just make something else for us instead.

There was no need of course as the food was fantastic, very fresh tasting and with a lovely blend of flavours do that each mouthful is a bit like a traffic light lolly for the tastebuds.

The prices were quite reasonable and well worth it for the quality; the restaurant has been slightly criticised on here for its basic interior design but to me it was just like a traditional tandoori house.

The owner told me that when he opened the restaurant his goal was to run a small low key place with a focus on good service and good food. I'd say that these aims have been wholly exceeded.

Dorset, UK
“Great little Indian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We only went here because of the great ratings on this stie and I wasn't disappointed. The staff were friendly and we were served very quickly. The prices were reasonable and the food was tasty. The decor is very plain and dated but this is made up by the rest of the experience

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere