“Great food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Fresh healthy food had the grilled chicken and lamb skewers, will definitely return and try another dish! Leeds needs more of these!

York, United Kingdom
“Great little Greek restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Being Greek I am not to fussed to try greek restaurants abroad as I don't think they will be as good as back home. So when I heard that a new greek restaurant had opend in Leeds I was a bit reluctant to try it.Thankfully, Leeds Souvlaki proved me wrong.

The place is small and cosy and the decoration is what you'd expect from a greek restaurant but without overdoing it.

I had the Kleftiko and my girlfriend had the pork souvlaki. Kleftiko was perfectly seasoned and cooked as the meat was falling off the bone - no knife needed! The pork souvlaki followed the same fashion as seasoning was spot on and the meat was juicy and tender. As desert we had baklava which was fresh and accompanied by cream and strawberries to balance the sweetness; a nice touch.

Service was fast and the staff were friendly and attending without being intruding.

Prices are reasonable as we had 1 starter, 2 mains, 1 desert and 2 bottles of beer and paid about £20 per person.

As points of improvement I would like the wine list to include a wider range of greek wines and also the potato chips to be hand cut instead of the usual McCain style chips you find almost eveywhere.

All in all we had a great time with delicious food. Will definitely be coming back soon.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A welcome addition but could be better..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

For a while now the Leeds dining scene has been missing Greek cuisine so Souvlaki is a welcome addition. Menu has all the things youd expect with a few specials added so the only problem we had was what to choose. Things were made a little easier when we were advised moments after placing our order that they had no mousakka or roast potatoes left. Admittedly we were eating late evening but why cant restaurants communicate with the kitchen better and highlight any omissions before offering the menu to the customer..!! Minor gripe aside...the dips that arrived for starters were lovely as was the lamb souvlaki/ chicken in white wine sauce that followed. All well prepared and very tasty..!! Now for another moan...after clearing our plates away we were then forgotten about completely..not offered the dessert menu/ coffees and no waiting staff were readily available to ask. Once again it was late on but there were still a number of customers still eating and to my mind the service should be from arrival to departure..!!! It was a shame really because the waitresses that did serve our table earlier were pleasant and courteous. That aside we did enjoy the meal and would give benefit of the doubt on this occasion given that the place is relatively new and may still be ironing out a few logistics!! Nice meal at a reasonable price in a relaxed/ rustic atmosphere...would recommend a visit..!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds
“Alright food, potential for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I had lunch midweek in here after I'd seen the place had opened and really wanted to give it a try. The place is right in the city centre, opposite Nations of Shopkeepers and behind Millennium Square, so very easy to find.
The atmosphere was really nice and authentic, I thought the decor perfectly complemented the idea of a Greek restaurant. The day I went it was also very sunny outside, which definitely cast a whole new light on the place. Even though it was close to 1, the place was deserted - and remained so until I left half an hour later.
The waitress was extremely welcoming and friendly and she looked after me the whole time, which I thought was a nice touch.
The menu offered a choice of either tapas-style small plates or more Greek mains such as lamb or beef skewers. Seeing as I was in a bit of a hurry and I wanted to try a couple of things, I decided to go for the small dishes and ordered the whitebait, the calamari rings and the stuffed vine leaves. All of the food was prepared from scratch or at least this is the idea I got from it. Presentation-wise, it was all spotless. As for taste, I thought it was a bit bland. The calamari were not rubbery (bonus!), but lacked in flavour despite having been dusted in paprika. The whitebait was ok, but nothing special. The vine leaves were warm (hence me thinking freshly made) and tasted good.
Prices vary from about £3 per small dish to £8 per main, with the occasional £10 and higher on the dinner menu.
Seeing as it was really quiet, I had a chat with the lovely waitress. It emerged they only opened three months ago (thought so) and that they're still finding their own space on the market. Lunch time, she said, it's still very quiet, with the occasional business man stopping with his colleagues. Dinner, on the other hand, is very busy and she said they now work mostly on a booking principle as they can only seat up to 30 people at a time.
As it stands, I'm not sure I would be back. I'd like to leave it a little while for this place to try it out and find its own place in the restaurant offering in Leeds. I hope they also take the criticism as a chance to improve and not just as a mean comment. We'll give it some time and then I would be happy to try it again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“I love it here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I had lunch here on friday im a novice on greek food so didnt know what to expect WOW i was blown away the freshness of the food and the flavour was exellent the staff are a credit to this place aswell. Jess was fantastic talking me through the menu explaning whats what .I eat at many places in leeds and this is my favourite i will be recomending this to my friends and family. I cant wait to return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere