“Different” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #189 of 1,387 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Barbecue, Continental
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Botanist offers a well-stocked cellar of cask-conditioned ales, more than 40 bottled beers and ciders from around the world, a selection of finest champagnes and an intriguing cocktail menu. Food at The Botanist comes in the form of a deli-style menu with rotisserie and barbecue. Owned and operated by the New World Trading Company, The Botanist is a concept unlike anything else!
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Im a big fan of Living Ventures and what they have achieved as a pioneering company and the styling of this latest concept is incredible. The staff were great, the ambiance was good, the decor was very different and unique for Leeds. Generally the food was quite good however we all felt the food was a little cold. It became apparent as we left, there is an open kitchen to the outside area and the staff had to pick up the food, walk through the cold air and back inside the door. A little bit too far on the planning and styling i think. However as i said this was a smallish point and the visit in general was very good!

• Visited May 2013

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Loved it !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We loved our visit to the Botanist at the weekend ! We are not local (shame as we'd be coming here all the time!) but found out about it when doing some research on tripadvisor.

The food is presented excellently and tastes delicious, we loved the quirky scotch egg starter and the hanging kebabs. The cocktails were great, and what a choice of beers ... my husband loved it !

The decor is just fab, what a great idea ! The service was spot on, from the guy who greeted us and found us a table despite being very busy, the the lady that served us and the guy that delivered the food. Didnt have to wait long for anything and they were always checking if we needed anything.

Spot on and great value for money, we almost want to come back to Leeds to have another visit here :)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Never tasted a Lemon Meringue this bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I popped in to The Botanist in Leeds after walking past it one day and then going online and seeing their menu. I have a sweet tooth & the dessert menu looked good as it had Lemon Meringue with a Raspberry Sauce. I thought it was a little expensive at £4.75 but I thought that reflected that it was cooked in house and fresh and came in a decent sized portion. I got to the restaurant and nobody was interested in a person just wanting a dessert and a drink. I felt neglected, worthless and totally ignored. I asked for an apple & orange juice which I was informed was freshly squeezed, and it clearly wasn't when it arrived. It tasted of the cheapest carton of orange and apple juice you can imagine mixed together which made it taste even vulgar. Then came the dessert, oh boy! What a complete disaster and disappointment. The pastry was wet, underneath and the lemon tasted 'off' the meringue wasn't very clever. The slice was about 2 inches wide and the raspberry sauce was just dolloped on the side with no presentation executed whatsoever. In fact the combination of the two things together was just plain harrowing. It was a horrible experience, I left the cake and the juice after taking two bites and two sips, I tried to get the attention of one of the waiters but was totally ignored so I left my £5,95 [total rip off] for a slice of cake and a juice I could have bought at Tesco for £1 all in. I won't be going back to this place again & I won't be recommending it either.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Regular water hole”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Seeing how i work just up the road at park plaza hotel this is a convenient place to visit after work for a few drinks with friends.
Ive been in quite a few times now and everything is always at a consistently high standard.
The barstaff and waiters are all friendly and well trained and obviously really enjoy themselves whilst working.
The food is good for what is basically fancy pub food. But the kebabs on the stands are something to behold!
The range of drinks is good and my friends always enjoy the ale on offer and I like the cider, but there is something for everyone. (Cocktails are also done well)
And its always got a healthy amount of people in so the atmosphere is always great.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stockton Heath, United Kingdom
“Refreshingly Different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Staying at the Park Plaza and looking for a local restaurant I hadn't tried before, I saw some reviews on Tripadvisor and decided to give it a go.
First thing is that it's easy to miss, it's set back of the road so use the Trinity Church as the landmark.
There's a good "basement" outside area with canopies and heating but we went inside to a restaurant and large bar area that reminded me of something from Conneticut or Maine.
There's a good selection, even for us veggies and I chose the "hanging kebab" with halloumi, which indeed arrived on an elegant device with a bowl of cous cous beneath. Sitting above the kebab was a small cup of garlic butter which when upended, drips through a small hole and coats the kebab.
And the taste? Lovely!!!!
This was followed by the lightest sticky toffee pudding I've ever had (and I've had a lot!)
There is a huge range of bottled beers, and they provide a little book (an almanac) with pictures and descriptions.
There are also a range of really different cocktails, many using plant elements as a neat tie in to the name Botanist.
A great evening, good food, very attentive service.
I shall definitely be going back.