“My Dad Would Approve” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“My Dad Would Approve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

What a nice surprise to find a Sri Lankan restaurant in the centre of Leeds. I must admit, the entrance to the place doesn't seem inviting with its grubby steps and sticky carpet but if the food is reasonably cheap and tasty, I don't mind so much!

The friendly waitresses were efficient and helpful which was made easier by the place not being very full. The decor is nice and you can see into the kitchen which is always a bit reassuring as you can see there are a number of chefs who seem to be working hard.

I ordered veg rolls which are like vegetarian cutlets (for those who are familiar with Sri Lankan food). I was slightly disappointed not to see pancake rolls or string hoppers on the menu but what I ordered for my main was satisfying enough. The main was a substantial portion of chicken lamprais that was accompanied by another bowl of chicken curry, a few chutneys and some cucumber, tomato and onion salad. The flavouring was good and had just the right amount of spice. Enough to break through the barrier of my hayfever! Having some Sri Lankan heritage, I thought the cooking & experience was honest - I'm sure my Dad would approve.

All in all it was a nice experience and would highly recommend people to go. Good, honest Sri Lankan and South Indian food. I'll definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Not so good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We look for a place to eat in trip advisor in Leeds and found here. Nice restauerant but not so very good food. We waitd for long time and rotti was bunt badly. Manger told to us that the cook said rotti must be bunt but I do not think so. Not like that so much.
Chiken curry had problem as well. Very nice manger and waiters but maybe food can be better. Manager was very good for not charging for rottis but still should have been changed. Maybe Sril Lanka food is better and not so much South Indian food in the place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Yorkshire, UK
“Brilliant food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We decided to visit the Curry Leaf in advance of a forthcoming trip to Sri Lanka so that we could get a taste of the cuisine. The restaurant is pretty grim from the outside and the staircase in is reminiscent of a grotty night-club, but once inside the service and food made up for any initial shortcomings.
Service was pretty quick, and everything we tried was absolutely delicious. We chatted also to a Sri Lankan gentleman who we took to be the owner who guided us through the menu and seemed genuinely interested in the plans we had.
The price was very reasonable and we couldn’t have been happier with the experience. We thoroughly recommend that you venture past the exterior so you can be rewarded with great food at a very reasonable price. We will be back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not going back here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was told about this new place in town by a friend, who said he had been and that it was very good. I decided to try it with some friends and went there a few days ago. I was disappointed to find that it was nothing like I was told that it was. The place was almost empty, only 4 out of their 18 table occupied, and that included my table. There were only about 13 people there and yet we had to wait for nearly one hour for our meal to be served. The boy and girl waiters were walking around as if they were asleep and the manager looking busy serving drinks and apologising for the delay. He seemed like he was lost for words and gave us one excuse that they had to use a new batch of butter for one of our dishes and this was causing a bit of a delay? When our meal started arriving we had to wait for it all to be served before we could start. By then some of it was getting cold. The sauces were quite tasty, even cold, but the quality of the meats was terrible. Overcooked and way below any acceptable standard. The Uttapam that we had waited so long for because of the new batch of butter was almost like scrambled egg. Not how it is meant to be at all. It was not the best meal that we had ever had and not the best restaurant experience either. I will certainly not be going back there. I told my friend about this and he was very embarassed but said that he did have a good time there. Maybe he was just lucky, very lucky, because a place cannot get so bad overnight.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leeds
“Dined, but won't be dining here again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I came here with great expectations and left feeling resolute that I would not return. I was at first excited at the thought of a south Indian/Sri Lankan restaurant in my home city. This type of cuisine has hardly had any representation in Leeds. Let me start with the food. The lamb and crab cutlets were significantly more potato and a thick layer of fried breadcrumbs than they were good quality lamb or crab meat respectively (but admittedly the flavouring was good). The chicken lamprise tasted good but I am doubtful about the quality of chicken, and specifically whether it was frozen rather then fresh meat. The oothapam tasted fine but the coconut chutney was positively ‘off’ and not authentic (I come from Kerala, South India, and as such I know better). I had rather negative views about some of the other dishes. Finally the tea was a bog standard brew and not worth £2.50 a cup (one might have expected an exquisite choice of teas such as Sri Lankan Blue Sapphire, not Typhoo). The glass-fronted kitchen looked a bit dishevelled and tired. There is no doubt that the intensely flavoured dishes are absolutely Sri Lankan or south Indian but for a foodie like me, experienced in high quality food that offers value for money, this place will simply disappoint.

• Visited May 2013