“Fabulous food, attentive staff, a great find - worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Leeds original and best Mussel bar, serving fresh mussels daily with a choice of sauces and freshly baked bread. Traditional Yorkshire pub food served also.
York, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, attentive staff, a great find - worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just arrived home (July 10th) after visiting The Central for a cinema evening. The restaurant is slightly off the beaten track but well worth the effort. We dined from the summer evening menu. For starters (which was served before the film) I had the pigeon breast served with pearl barley, spinach, pancetta & blackberry vignette and jelly - the pigeon was cooked to perfection and the vignette & jeely worked exceptionally well with the pearl barley & pancetta. My daughter had the pan fired scallops with homemade black pudding, butternut squash puree & crisp Serrano ham - they were described as scrumptious. For mains (which we enjoyed whilst watching our chosen film) I chose the Pan Fried Chicken supreme, thyme roasted pink fir potatoes, baby carrots, chargrilled courgettes, broad bean puree and roasting juices - the chicken was so moist, it was divine, the whole dish worked so well and the juices made the combination perfect. My daughter opted for the fish dish, crispy beer battered crayfish & smoked haddock, paprika dusted whitebait and moules marineire authentically served in newspaper (tarter sauce was requested) - another success!! We were too full for dessert - but we were extremely tempted. The young girl looking after us was very attentive without being intrusive. I would most definately visit The Central again & highly reccommend it to others. Visit their web site and see what films they are showing or just pop along and enjoy the food. The Central isn't quite central, but it is definately worth the stroll. "Compliments to the Chef".

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Leeds, United Kingdom
“GREAT CINEMA NIGHT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

took the boyf for a birthday present.
very well organised - only us and another couple up in the top room for the meal and cinema so were v lucky to choose from whole menu.
we both had ham hock terrine and then he had a burger -which was delish and i opted for steak - with a surcharge but worth it!
the film was brill and a v novel idea!

would definately go back - good pub grub and a great relaxed but efficient work force! many afternoons will be spent here!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“A good meal overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I went to the Central on our first of three nights in Leeds. It seemed quite full on arrival, but quickly emptied as most people went upstairs for a film/meal.
We ordered off the menu and after a short the waitress came back to say that what I had ordered as my main course was off the menu. I reordered.
We had a starter each and then our main courses arrived - both were nicely cooked, very tasty with sensible sized portions - we prefer not to have a massive plateful of food and we enjoyed our food.
We ordered desserts and after a while the waitress came back to tell us the chef had not got the chocolate fondant right, so could we choose again, which we did, and enjoyed the meal.
Although we had made no fuss, we were offered complementary desserts for the let down with our first choice. The manager came over and we chatted to him. It seems the sous chef had been in charge and wasn't quite up to speed with the kitchen.
Overall we enjoyed our meal and given a bit of settling in for what may be a new regime, this is definitely a place we will head back to.
The service throughout was excellent.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent evening with friends.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Myself and 2 friends purchased a groupon deal for the 10th June to see Pulp Fiction.
We had a wonderful evening, great food, ( even for me, a fussy vegetarian!) a pleasant glass of sparkly and watched our favourite film.
Staff were friendly and attentive.
We would definately go again.
Great value for money, and lovely to enjoy a film and delicious food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“small portions and long time to wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We went here on a groupon offer for a film night. For £25 it included a 2 course meal, glass of wine, popcorn and a movie. We got there at 7.30 as we were told to and was previously informed the film would start at 8 oclock. After we arrived we bought a drink and was seated upstairs. and an order taken. The menu was very limited. We did not get our meal served until 8.30 , the starter was a fishcake I had chosen ,,which was very nice and hubby had black pudding, but a small portion. The waiters were good, keep filling our water up and asking if we wanted more drinks, which I feel was a ploy to get us to spend more money. The main course was not served until about 9.15. This is where I feel we had been ripped off, the main course was in fact some salad leaves with one baby tomato, a slither of orange and some small chicken pieces on top. It was more like a starter and did not fill us up at all. It never in a million years could be classed as a main meal!! We were stil lhungry after the 2 courses. We were asked if we wanted to order a sweet, again a ploy to get us to spend more money, bearing in mind this was a groupon offer that did not include a sweet.The film was finally put on at about 9.30. It was called the Artist, a silent movie in black n white, very boring. But all the films for this movie meal evening seem to be old classics that you can buy for £3. It all finished at about 10.50 so was a long drawn out evening. and it was definately not worth the money. I would have been really annoyed if I had paid full price for it. My advice , don't bother!

Visited June 2013
Iain M, General Manager at The Central Leeds, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hello curlylocks

Firstly let me apologize, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your food, we will look to rectify the issues pointed out in your review.

I have been unable to reach the director of the artist for comments so I’m afraid he can’t defend his 2011 Oscar winning film. As for the ploy to get more cash out of you I’m afraid you rumbled us there.

Yours Sincerely