“A little bit of sophistication in the centre of Leeds” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #148 of 1,387 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: This is a new Bar & charcuterie in Leeds which opened on 10 July 2012. It sells only real ales, locally sourced and further afield! Also sells wines and soft drinks. Food is various types oh hams - iberico, lardo, prosciutto-and also cheeses, bread, olives etc. excellent little gem that will do well.
York
“A little bit of sophistication in the centre of Leeds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Less of a pub and more of a club feel is how I think of Friends of Ham. Not a club in the music sense but more of a members-only feel.

The downstairs seating area really defies any sort of traditional pub or bar classification. It's more of a chintzy sitting room designed to be laid back but trying just a little too much. What saves the day is the atmosphere is not forced and genuinely friendly. The gentle chatter exudes bonhomie and you get the feeling everyone is enjoying being there.

The real ales are well kept and change regularly and the assorted hams, cheeses and trucklements are stars in their own right. Long may this place continue to thrive.

“Disappointed ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We went here a few weeks ago it was lovely we really enjoyed it and decided to go again last night, what a disappointment we ordered the pate which we had had the last time it just wasn't as tasty in fact it tasted totally different. The sereno ham was sliced way too thick, when we went upstairs we realised it was the end of the joint not good we will not be going again. The young boy who was serving looked like he couldn't be bothered being there and kept going into the toilet

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Favourite...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

...Ever. Service, Range of Beers, Wines, Meats & Cheeses, Atmosphere, Value; CANNOT fault it.
I could spend a whole evening there quite happily. They've made the place like a living room and it feels it.

Yorkshire
“Best ham and cheese ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Calling it ham and cheese does not do it justice - wafer thin Serrano ham and prosciutto plus the Alex James blue and a smoked cheese with bread, wafers and pickles. All delicious. We called at lunchtime on a Tuesday and it was nearly empty. Good service with tastings of the beer to help us choose. Cider good too! This is going to be a regular treat.

scotland
“not a review on the food but the noise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I feel a bit bad about writing this and just want to say we "DID NOT EAT IN FRIENDS OF HAM", but just feel I should comment on our first experience. I had read some amazing reviews, and was really excited to try this, cheese wine and ham are my 3 favorite things, so I sure I wouldn't be let down. Upstairs was small but sophisticated with people enjoying wine at the bar. We went downstairs and it was absolutely manic....very noisy, i'm not a pensioner (at 27) but I could not hear myself think... the décor was lovely, with long wooden tables and rustic book shelves and menus but I have to say the noise ruined the experience for me and we left. I will try this place again but if you are a couple looking for a relaxed lunch I would not attend on a Saturday afternoon!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere