“Beautiful Old Theatre” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 101 attractions in Leeds
Type: Theaters
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Situated in the heart of Leeds, the Grand Theatre opened in 1878 and has been entertaining people ever since. With a wide programme from musicals to stand-up, opera to drama and ballet to family shows, there's bound to be something that you'll enjoy.
leeds UK
8 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Old Theatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Saw the Phantom of the Opera here last September. Lovely old theatre recently refurbished. Beautiful.

Visited September 2012

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
“Great Gatesby Ballet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The staff don't like to make you feel welcome, it is almost as if you are an inconvenience turning up in plenty of time for your seat. Though I suppose we can't complain confusion for couples in front people in their seats had turned up a week too soon and were planning to see something else .. so much for checking tickets. It is hot a very uncomfortable in the Gods.

Visited March 2013
AmySanderson, Manager at Grand Theatre, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I'm really sorry you found our staff to be unwelcoming. I will speak to our Front of House Manager about this as we really try to ensure everyone is welcomed to the theatre.

With regards heat in the auditorium, we do have an air handling system which draws in air to help cool all seating areas. As a listed building, we are unable to make many big changes and so air conditioning is not possible for us. We're working on ways to improve the temperature.
Ilkley, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Northern bastion of theatre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Apart from the insidious creep of prices, The Grand, and especially Opera North, is keeping traditional theatre going in Leeds.

If you don't want to pay the price of a good dinner for one seat, sit as high up as you can bear and soak up the atmosphere of a truly "grand" theatrical experience.

Leeds, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Highly let down by the Mousetrap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband bought us box tickets to see the Mousetrap, something I was highly looking forward to.

The theatre is amazing, wonderful architecture, as I've mentioned in a previous review the refurbishment has done the theatre justice. Although the seats are pretty much on top of each other and I wouldn't have liked to have had the back seats in the box, there is no view at all.

However, our seats and view was good, the service was quick, only one bar was open but it wasn't an issue. The actual show though was not great, I can't blame the acoustics as I've seen a few things here including the Phantom of the Opera recently but you could hardly hear the actors and it was just a bit over acted. Maybe it was just a bad night, as it has always received rave reviews. I'd still suggest people try it and any show at the Grand tends to be good.

Leeds, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“A Grand Evening out with the Von Trapp Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Yesterday evening I went to the Grand Theatre Leeds to see the Leeds Amateur Operatic Society interpretation of Rogers and Hammersteins, 'Sound of Music'.

It is the first time I have visited the Grand Theatre since it underwent major refurbishment and it has been a good job well done. I did not know that the performers were amateur's until today as the performance certainly looked and sounded professional to me. It followed the story (with some minor amendments) and a little subtle comedy thrown in.

I have to take my hat off to the Theatre for a great evening out and again to the performers for a REALLY great job done (although Nuns do scare me a little). We were in the Dress Circle (Row C seats 5-8) which gave us a good viewpoint of the stage.

I will go to another performance by the LAOS as it was as professional a show as any I have seen before. Another bonus is that the LAOS support various charities and this time in the foyer were collectors for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance which is a favourite cause of mine always worthy of a donation.

There was a shortage of cold drinks on sale but I simply went across the road to a shop and brought them into the Theatre (it was not a problem to the staff).

Overall, a great evening out.