“Really nice meal. Really nice people. Well worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 1,389 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Really nice meal. Really nice people. Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We went with an offer from living social. A really good value meal (£9 per head for 3 courses) but my wife and I said we'd go there at normal price.

Number 1 for a restaurant has to be the food and it was really nice. The selection is excellent. It is cooked fresh in an open plan kitchen. We had a variety of food across the menu and we all enjoyed what we chose. They also choose locally sourced food and you can tell! Great taste.

The service was really good. The staff smiled a lot and were really friendly. It makes such a difference when the people are nice. It really adds to the enjoyment of the evening.

The ambiance was excellent, the cleanliness was excellent and the general décor of the place was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Almost always very, very good / excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I consider this to be one of the best eateries in Leeds. I have dined and coffeed here on humerous occasions, alone, with wife, with daughter. The food has always been either very good or excellent. The interior is superb, cleanliness superb and table service usually excellent.

My slight gripe would be time taken to be noticed at the rather obvious seating point. One sometimes finds oneself waiting an awkward moment or two while a staff member polishes cutlery before noticing one.

I stress that this, and the other occasions where there have been slight niggles, are rare and always peripheral to the central experience. Overall, this is almost always very, very good, and not occasionally excellent.

Keep it up Granary Cafe!!!! Leeds needs places like this where things are basically reliably to standard and where there is more than a whiff of excellence on most occasions.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Yorkshire
“Great Food - Amazing staff!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Went there last night for a meal, though have been a couple of times before. It was a First Class meal. The attention detail could only be rivaled in a 4* or 5* restaurant. The quality of all the food was amazing.
The staff were very attentive without being over bearing. The service was quick, though it was fairly quiet.
On a previous visit we bought some of their own sausages and steaks and thoroughly enjoyed them.
Oh, and a nice little touch at the end of the meal - we offered to leave a tip for the staff (they deserved it) but were informed that ALL tips are given to the charity - what a great idea.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“SOMEWHERE NICE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The best way to describe this is nice. Pleasant surroundings, spotlessly clean, attentive staff. Tasty food. Great to be able to eat without skirting your way around prams pushchairs and food on the floor.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leeds, United Kingdom
“overpriced and poor quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Had been a few times to the original building and had nice food so I was looking forward to seeing the new building. We went between Christmas and New Year and had to wait 30 minutes for a table but spent the time looking round the shop. On looking at the menu I thought it was all very expensive,the prices had gone up by at least £2 per item now they are in the new building. I ordered a Wensleydale cheese sandwich in a brown roll with homemade chutney. When it arrived there was a cube of cheese on top of some grated cheese in the bread roll, which gave the impression that they had collected leftovers and put them together in the sandwich. The homemade chutney was cranberry sauce that had been left over from Christmas, all served with a salad but no salad dressing was offered. The bread roll was so dry that they must either have bought it days ago, or over microwaved it to thaw it out. When I asked for some salad dressing I was offered salad cream or raspberry vinegar. I chose raspberry vinegar, which was very nice, but I could have done with at least twice as much. This cost me £6.50 for a sandwich, so with as pot of tea, not much change from £10. I will not be eating here again as too expensive and the food was poor quality.

Visited December 2013
Elizabeth P, Manager at The Granary Cafe, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thanks so much for your review and please let me apologise for the experience you had today. As you can see from the other reviews this was an exception and the quality of our food is very important as your custom helps us raise money for the work of Caring For Life. I am so sorry you have decided not to come to us again but would ask that you contact me at the farm at your convenience, I will look in to your service and food to ensure that we provide consistency to all our customers.