“Spooky” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 260 things to do in Leeds
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the great country houses of England set within a Capability Brown landscape surrounded by beautiful parkland which includes a working rare breeds farm, Temple Newsam has so much to offer visitors.Famous as the birth place of Lord Darnley, notorious husband of Mary Queen of Scots, Temple Newsam House is a truly impressive Tudor-Jacobean mansion. Described as the Hampton Court of the North with over 40 lovingly restored rooms to view, it is now home to one of the most important collections of decorative arts. Explore the treasures of silver, ceramics, fine art, Chippendale furniture, and wallpaper all housed within the Tudor Jacobean Mansion. Discover the stories of the people who lived at Temple Newsam by joining one of our regular weekly tours or picking up the FREE audio guide. Look out for holiday activities and craft fun for all ages and the changing programme of talks, concerts and theatre. Visit our special, changing programme of exhibitions. Take time to visit the gift shop offering a range of products inspired by the collections within the House followed by lunch or tea in the Stables Tea room. Explore the lakeside walks and gardens of delphiniums, rhododendrons, flocks and asters. See a variety of rare breed animals in the Rare Breed Farm. Enjoy some leisure time and book our football pitches, enjoy a round of golf, walk in the woods and discover the folly or explore the bridle paths.
Leeds, United Kingdom
58 attraction reviews
“Spooky”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I don't know if it is just me but I feel the whole place feels so oppressive,the only birds seem to be crows and the house appears to be so unhappy. My husband adores the place though.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“In one word CLOSED”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

On a beautiful June day after a walk across the well maintained lawns to the house and out buildings only to find in all CLOSED. Well done Leeds City Council another useless Labour Clowncil that doesn't need think past their fly zips

Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
75 attraction reviews
“Wonderful but.........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I used to go here when I was young but haven't visited for at least 20 years so it was going to be interesting to see if it had changed. Firstly, there was lots of disabled parking (free) so that most areas of this extensive park would be accessible for those who cannot walk far which is to be commended. Michael and I then decided we would try and find the cafe - as others were doing - but there were no signposts at all for this so we walked down towards the lake ( which was signposted) and had a pleasant walk in a well maintained park. There are lots of seats to sit on which always deserves an extra star in a review of an extensive area of parkland otherwise it wouldn't be accessible to me or currently my husband who is recovering from a foot operation.
Near the lakes are the walled gardens - what a beautiful and peaceful place this is full of colour and bees and again, lots of seats to take in all the wonderful garden. The greenhouses were closed unfortunately so we moved on and attempted to find a toilet. Now this was another thing that wasn't signposted and we had to wander back up to the signposts near the farm to try and find something that would direct us to them. Nothing! Now this is one of my bug bears, in a park which covers such a large area one would expect toilets at both ends of the parkland otherwise for small children, elderly people, etc the lack of toilets can pose a major problem. However, as far as I was able to ascertain there weren't any at the lake area/walled garden end of the park. Further had I not seen someone through a window I would not have found the toilets, courtyard or cafe at the top end of the park since none of them were signposted. Maybe most of the locals know where they are but I didn't and neither did the large party arriving by coach at the same time as we did.
So, first stop was the toilets!. now I completely missed. the disabled toilets at the side of the ramp going up to the main toilets. The door to the disability toilet was painted black and didn't have any sign on it. It was only when I looked closely that I noticed that it required a radar key and investigated. However, before I did I used the toilet in the main block which was obviously the mother and baby toilet. I wish I hadn't because this is where Temple Newsam lost a rating. The mother/baby toilet was filfthy from the mould growing around the taps, the filthy tiles and doors and baby changing unit to the lollipop sticks and pop bottle lying around on the floor. I was appalled. Yes, the lollipop sticks and pop bottles could have only been there a few minutes but the grime elsewhere didn't happen overnight.. It is a great shame I did not have my camera with me otherwise I would have taken pictures so it is at this point that I cannot recommend anyone taking their baby into this toilet until it is thoroughly cleaned up - it really is a health hazard!. It is unlikely we will be visiting here again for a while so someone please report on whether this area has been cleaned up since I wrote this.
The cafe is clean and the selection of food reasonably priced. The courtyard was pleasant and so we had coffee and scones which came to £9.80.
We didn't visit the farm since we had our labrador, Barney with us and neither did we go to the house although entry to the farm and house would have been £7.50 if we had chosen to. The amphitheatre next to the courtyard was lovely.
So, on the whole I can thoroughly recommend the park but it does need a couple of signs and yes, clean that toilet up.
The cafe wa

Leeds, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Family visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

A great place to visit, loads to see and do. Great for the children or the family dog to burn off some steam.

Visited May 2014
Lincolnshire
10 attraction reviews
“Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Spent a few hours here recently, great place to walk around, lovely greenhouses, gardens. Can cycle apparently, (next time) Looks a great place for picnics/days out playing with kids etc. Cafe decent and great cake, will be back.