“A treasure house, but no photography” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 259 things to do in Leeds
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the great country houses of England set within a Capability Brown landscape surrounded by beautiful parkland which includes a working rare breeds farm, Temple Newsam has so much to offer visitors.Famous as the birth place of Lord Darnley, notorious husband of Mary Queen of Scots, Temple Newsam House is a truly impressive Tudor-Jacobean mansion. Described as the Hampton Court of the North with over 40 lovingly restored rooms to view, it is now home to one of the most important collections of decorative arts. Explore the treasures of silver, ceramics, fine art, Chippendale furniture, and wallpaper all housed within the Tudor Jacobean Mansion. Discover the stories of the people who lived at Temple Newsam by joining one of our regular weekly tours or picking up the FREE audio guide. Look out for holiday activities and craft fun for all ages and the changing programme of talks, concerts and theatre. Visit our special, changing programme of exhibitions. Take time to visit the gift shop offering a range of products inspired by the collections within the House followed by lunch or tea in the Stables Tea room. Explore the lakeside walks and gardens of delphiniums, rhododendrons, flocks and asters. See a variety of rare breed animals in the Rare Breed Farm. Enjoy some leisure time and book our football pitches, enjoy a round of golf, walk in the woods and discover the folly or explore the bridle paths.
11 attraction reviews
“A treasure house, but no photography”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Temple Newsam is a lovely day out.
The collection within the house is extensive and beautiful and well worth the entry fee. Also,the house holds a central role in Tudor and Stuart history.
The grounds are a pleasure to walk in.
The café sells good food. I ordered a sausage sandwich. I was expecting a dreary sausage cut in half and put in a bun, but actually got three succulent sausages in a roll. the cakes are good as well.

The one glitch is the ban on photography. I asked the steward the reason for the ban and I was told it was considered "a security risk". I'm not sure how photography represents a security risk, and being able to wander about the house at your leisure doesn't. I'm yet to get a reply from Leeds Council regarding this anomaly.

Unfortunately, I think the photography ban is a lost opportunity. I visited on a half term weekend and the house was dead. I saw two other family groups in the house during my visit. Great for me, but these collections need financial support.

I'm not convinced that locals that know about Temple Newsam are fully aware of how amazing the interior is, and I don't think Temple Newsam is generally known about in the wider country. To allow no flash photography would inevitably result in widespread free advertising on social media sites.

If the concern regards loss of revenue from postcard sales, then the house should consider a nominal charge for photography. They use this system at the army museum in Vienna. I have some great photos of the car that Franz Ferdinand was using when assassinated because I paid a euro and wore a photography sticker on my coat - win win.

Despite the ridiculous photography ban, go and see the wonderful Temple Newsam.

Visited November 2013
Temple N, Manager at Temple Newsam House, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear MattPShaw,
Thank you so much for your positive rating for Temple Newsam and you are right that the more that we can raise the profile of this treasure house the better.
I am surprised that you did not encounter our many visitors when you came recently but am glad that you found the house as amazing as we do.
With regards to the no photography policy in the House, this is standard practice in historic houses for a number of reasons including security, conservation, copyright and commercial protection - full details of the policy can be found as a document to download at http://www.leeds.gov.uk/museumsandgalleries/Pages/templenewsamhouse/Visitor-Information.aspx
This should have been explained to you more fully when you visited and the process for gaining permisson to take photographs. I hope this clarfies things for you and do get in touch with us at temple.newsam.house@leeds.gov.uk if we can help any further.
Thanks again for the 5 star rating!

Exeter
3 attraction reviews
“Not quite what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had heard great reports about the improvements made at this property but thought that opportunities had not been taken to maximise the potential of the house. Unfortunately, we had a guide who lacked confidence and enthusiasm and this factor did not help our visit. There are some wonderful paintings to see but they could be displayed so much better. A brief walk round the gardens was, however, very enjoyable.

Visited October 2013
68 attraction reviews
“Hidden Gem.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Great place to visit and plenty to do once you are there...The house is on 3 floors and all the rooms are well worth viewing - helpful staff - refreshments are served. Nice gift shop. The house is situated in fantastic grounds and the gardens are well stocked and hold the National collection of Delphiniums - well worth seeing. Location is good with plenty of parking. Very nice just for a stroll around the grounds.

Oxford
7 attraction reviews
“Bracing walk in massive park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The house is closed on Mondays (when we went) but still worth a visit for a spectacular park in sight of the city (and the motorway, just) - if you have kids there's a working farm to visit, as well. The house is impressive, and it's cheap to visit (local authority run)

Huddersfield
11 attraction reviews
“A lovely afternoon out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just visited today and was very impresssed. Parked in the first car park we came to - it was free - great start! Walked through lovely countryside to the house which was very looked very grand. We paid 15.50 for a family ticket giving us access to both the house and farm which I thought was great value. The house was spectacular,even caught the interest of my 14 & 11 yr olds! The farm wasn't as good as say cannon hall but lovely to look round. There is an adventure playground aimed at kids younger than mine which looked exciting and the courtyard cafe was good value for money. Will be going back soon as didn't see half of the grounds. Would definitely recommend this place.