“Informative and interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 259 things to do in Leeds
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The award winning Thackray Medical Museum is a completely unique visitor attraction. With nine interactive galleries, the fascinating exhibitions and collections tell a story of health that affects us all. Hear and smell what it was like to walk the grimy streets of Victorian Leeds, find out what it was like to undergo an operation without anaesthetic and explore your body in our jaw-dropping Life Zone gallery. Discover how medicine past and present is changing your future. We are bigger than you think, please allow 2-3 hours for your visit. *Tickets last for 12 months! *FREE weekly family activities and an ever-changing calendar of events and exhibitions. *Large on-site car park. *Learning cafe serving luches and tasty treats. *Curiosity shop selling a range of unique gifts and souvenirs. We are on Facebook and Twitter
Leeds
9 attraction reviews
“Informative and interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Had a great morning here with my son and mum. Lots of interesting facts about Leeds and also medicine through the ages. My son enjoyed the section where you could choose a character profile and follow what would happen to them with a variety of illnesses in bygone times. Enjoyed our time there but was glad to have gone in the morning as I do not think that it would have been so much fun with alot of people about as some areas are quite narrow.
Had a healthy lunch in the cafe which had a good selection and I can recommend the Tuna panini which came with salad.

Visited August 2013

England
3 attraction reviews
“Informative if time to read all the information”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I really enjoyed seeing the development of the medical side of things and I do appreciate it is aimed at adults as well as children. It was a bit hard the read all the information as the children clearly didn't and wanted to charge off and get round in about five minutes. I have been once but I am not sure about going back on the year pass we have, maybe go again in Autumn.

Visited March 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
11 attraction reviews
“Fabulous place to visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Went to the Thackray Medical Museum with my 18 year old and 16 year old daughters. We loved it! It was so interesting, 2 floors full of lots of things to see, read and do. We spent over 3 hours inside. I do think younger children might not enjoy it as much, the sights and smells of the old streets could be off-putting to them, or scary. I think children from 8 years upwards would love it. There was so much to see there, covering every aspect of the human body, and medical science and discoveries. We did the ground floor, and then visited the cafe. Saw the other review about a rude staff member. This wasn't our experience. The cafe was virtually empty and the lady who served us was lovely. We had coffee and cake and easily found a table. Then we explored upstairs. Much hilarity amongst the three of us when my daughters tried on the "empathy belly". We visited on Friday 26 July, before the english schools broke up, and we went early morning so it was relatively quiet and we had plenty of time to browse. The entrance fee is classed as a donation, so you can visit as many times as you want within the year. If you purchase a museum ticket, this entitles you to park in the museum car park for £1. As for complaining about sat nav directions, we managed to find it very easy with google directions. No need for a sat nav! It is right next door to St James Hospital. We would thoroughly recommend this Museum to everyone, it was so interesting!

Visited July 2013
Oldham, United Kingdom
103 attraction reviews
“Very Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Actually wandered round this museum longer than we anticipated, there are lots of interesting parts to this museum and virtually had it all to ourselves when we visited. I do think the one thing that impressed on both myself and my daughter were, how lucky we are now, compared to in the past - frightening.

Visited July 2013
Ilkley, England, United Kingdom
“Fab day with a great ending”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Decided it was time for some in door entertainment after all the sunshine...Second time to the museum and much had changed, that said it was better than the first time, the children loved the interactive areas and although maybe a little scared with some of the pics and stories all in all a real education of which the children loved and have even asked to go back again...Wouldn't be right to not mention the restaurant ....So good to see a fresh wholesome menu, staff where friendly helpful and happy to work around the usual children's needs!, the kids ate everything they ordered which says everything about the quality, you must try the afternoon scones....We will deffo be back...

Visited August 2013