“Fantastic Hotel, staff and service, with a special thankyou.” 5 of 5 stars

Malmaison Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Swinegate, Leeds LS1 4AG, England   |
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Harrogate
“Fantastic Hotel, staff and service, with a special thankyou.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

I booked Malmaison leeds, as a present for my parents anniversary, and what an experience they had! Once I had made the reservation, I contacted the hotel to see if there was anything they could do to make the stay that little bit more special. I spoke to a lovely receptionist called Tessa who spent a long time planning ways in which she could help make it more special - and she certainly did, they were over the moon! As soon as we entered the hotel, their were two beautiful receptionists stood with massive warming grins, one of whom ran straight over to help with getting the luggage down the stairs. Tessa had pre-allocated them one of the most stunning rooms in the hotel, and made little attentions to details such as arranging a 'Happy Anniversary' card in the room, and putting their luggage in their room for them, (as the room wasn't quite ready) making them feel very special, like VIP's. I was thrilled to find that this was the girl I had spoke to on the phone, so i could personally thank her, for making my parents anniversary so fantastic.

They said the brasserie service was brilliant, everyone serving was lovely, very chatty and more than happy to help!

I will definately recommend Malmaison Leeds to all off my friends and other family members, and would like to make a special thanks to all of the Malmaison staff.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for one night. My daughter had stayed at the Malmaison in Liverpool so we knew what to expect. The hotel was typical of the Malmaison chain. The room was well presented, clean and spacious. Bathroom was nice too. Well stocked mini bar and coffee/tea making facilities. Although our room was to the front of the hotel we had a good nights sleep with no noise. Beds were so comfy.
On a more disappointing note, the hotels brasserie was a huge let down. We only ate there for breakfast however at £13.95 pp I expected a little better. The food was ok-ish but hardly warm never mind hot. I have found this in your typical buffet type meals however this was waiter service. The plates were cold too which didn't help. Staff were excellent, very polite and attentive. Overall my stay at the Malmaison in Leeds was average, would I go again ?? probably not. Shame as the food was the only let down.

• Liked — Room size/bed/cleanliness
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

I am a regular Malmaison visitor for business but this is my first stay in Leeds. The hotel has all the hallmarks of the family, lovely rooms, dark, plush decor and a good standard of accomodation. My standard double had plenty of space and was quiet despite overlooking the street. Reception were very helpful, giving me guidance on where to go for my morning run and how to get to a local address - the little details that make a difference. The location is great - very close to the station (don't bother with a £5 taxi - it is a 5 min walk).

The brasserie was a more mixed experience - it has an intimate feel, on the ground floor of the hotel. The staff were friendly and attentive, but the food and drink were not so great. My main course (lambshank) was fine but my dessert (pear tarte tatin) was inedible, the pre-cooked base was fine but a pear had been halved and laid on top, it was still raw and unripe. To their credit they took this back, removed it from the bill and apologised saying pears were not in season (why offer it then?). I also noticed that my first 'large, glass of wine was actually a small serving.

In the morning, the brasserie deterioated further, I came down for a late breakfast to find the breakfast bar had been decimated was only partially stocked up. No bowls, no muesli, very few yoghurts and rubbish all over the table. I was not too bothered as I had ordered from the menu - but the poached egg on field mushrooms was very dissappointing. The egg was hard, the mushroom was watery and rock hard and the hollandaise sauce was far too strong. I have the same dish in other malmaisons and it has been significantly better - I did not have time to complain but the breakfast was certainly not worth the money!

Leeds has a few boutique hotel options - in a competitive city Malmaison needs to give the brasserie a review - the essence of Malmaison is that it should be a good hotel AND a destination evening venue in the city - I am not convinced it has the second part of this equation nailed!

• Liked — Room, location and staff
  • Disliked — Brasserie
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Mids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

I stayed here earlier this year while my daughter was working in Leeds and had a fantastic overnight stay. Everything about the hotel was excellent from the building, to the reception, to the rooms. Very trendy, and quite tongue in cheek. The room was very comfortable and I had an excellent night's sleep. Breakfast was one of the best I've had. Spoilt for choice, and all delicious.

The only reason that I've rated it as a 4, is that the evening meal was pretty poor. (The 'flights of wine' however, were wonderful.) Although I do feel a little churlish writing this as overall I had an excellent time and I would certainly stay again when visiting Leeds.

• Liked — The wine list and breakfast (although not at the same time)
  • Stayed January 2008
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

The reception staff at the Leeds mal have always been really fantastic - the best of the malmaisons I have stayed at. Very friendly and acknowledge those who stay there frequently. When I arrived recently there was a card welcoming me back - a very small thing, but it makes an impression.

The rooms have generally been pretty nice, clean and spacious and the showers are one of the best features.

Breakfast is always reliable, and the eggs benedict is a delicious heart attack on a plate. Although if you are just having the continental breakfast it is a pretty horrific expense. (Not such a problem for business travellers.)

The only downside is the slightly less salubrious surroundings. It is on a rather charmless road behind the train station and so when outside having a quick cigarette late at night, I was accosted by two prostitutes asking if I was interested in any "business". There's not much the mal can do about that, and it's only really a problem in the evenings.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Peterborough
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

We have previously stayed in the Malmaison Birmingham and when we got into our room in Leeds we were a bit disapointed, the bed seemed small even though we were promised a Queen sized bed. We complained that was not what we had booked but they moved us.. to another room which was exactly the same! I guess its the thought that counts!!

The staff were very friendly and accomodating.

The food was delicious although the service was very poor at breakfast time.

• Liked — Toiletries
  • Disliked — Bed size
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
barnsley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

stayed here for one night, when out in leeds. Great location, in quiet area of the town but also in the centre! - car park large 5 storey one just opposite( expensive).

service good, food good, stacked fat chips! - room dark brown modern, but looked expensive, clean and tidy.

this hotel has a very french feel and is also very trendy.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Malmaison Hotel? Share your experiences!