“Really nice *top secret* hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Malmaison Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Swinegate, Leeds LS1 4AG, England   |
Ranked #23 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Really nice *top secret* hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We booked an overnight stay here recently as we were hitting the nightlife of Leeds. Check in was easy and went smoothly. As our room was already pre-paid we left a copy of our card details with Reception. Our room was on the 3rd floor and was spacious and tastefully appointed. Room was equipped with everything you need! Tea making facilities, minibar, wine, champagne etc. Hairdryer, good sized toiletries and other bits.

We made full advantage of the bar which served some delicious cocktails and is a great meeting point. As hotel bars go, this was busy and had a good atmosphere!

Breakfast was £12 or £12.50 each and was scrumptious. The continental choice which you just helped yourself too and then the cooked breakfast which was made to your order. Full english with scrambled/poached or fried eggs, plenty of toast. Sausage and bacon muffins and other items on the menu.

All in all this is a great, stylish hotel with good facilities.

The barmen finish around 1.30am and you are then left with the nightstaff who don't make cocktails and also deliver room service as well as serving you!

We paid a Top Secret price and for the price we paid, the hotel proved excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Oxon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Lovely hotel, my room was excellent, trendy, comfortable, a good size despite being via a discount site- had a luxurious feel
Malmaison has great service and great style- never fails
We ate there in the evening- food was very good and service excellent
I have stayed in lots of Mals- Belfast is my favourite
Leeds is good- no parking but you can use a car park just across the road- lovely friendly people and a relaxing stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you read my reviews you will know that I stay in lots of hotels each year - most for work, some for leisure. So it's always a disappoint to stay somewhere really promising - great room, nice food, good location - and have my stay experience impacted by the hotel and it's staff getting the little things wrong.

Malmaison in Leeds is a lovely hotel with great rooms. Nice big bedroom, desk with power sockets at desk height, decent lighting and a decent chair, comfy chairs and coffee table, flat screen TV, good sized wardrobe and storage, mini bar etc. It also had a large modern bathroom with shower over bath, decent sized vanity and heated towel rail. The bar and brasserie are also good.

Reception staff were efficient and welcoming on check-in and staff were generally engaged.

However, it's the small things that done right could have made this a really great stay.

The bed was ok but obviously doesn't get the mattress turned regularly as the side I slept on - the one beside the phone and closest to the bathroom ie the obvious default side - had developed a dip so you were in a body-moulded mattress! The room Internet is still wired and the phone beside the bed had its 'message waiting light' flashing the whole time, even though there were no messages. The bathroom mirror is huge but the vanity so wide that putting on make up, or shaving, when you needs glasses like me, becomes a challenge. Why no shaving mirror?

The breakfast team were stretched at 0700 and we waited ages for a waiter to acknowledge us and take our tea order, even though we had advised the waitress who seated us that we had an 0730 meeting in the hotel. Food generally was good and the previous evening dinner in the brasserie was lovely.

Checkout was straight forward but again, small things matter. 2 staff were on the desk, 4 of us (not together) had room cards in hand but both staff were glued to their PC screens and had to be prompted to check us out. Funnily enough if I'm standing in front of you with a room card and wallet at 0930, its pretty obvious I need to go.

Will give it another shot next time I'm in Leeds as overall it suits my needs but a little attention to the small details would vastly improve the overall guest experience.

• Stayed November 2012
Blade08
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband I decided at the last minute to have a child free night away and picked this hotel after it was recommended to us and I have to say that it didn't disappoint. The hotel is gorgeous and our room was nicely decorated and very spacious.
We went for a romantic package which had little gifts such as chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, scented bubble bath and massage oil, cocktails at the bar and a lovely breakfast!!!
The restaurant had a wonderful ambience and the food was AMAZING!! the young staff were lovely and polite and knew everything about the food and drink they were serving.
All in all it was a wonderful break but the price was a little steep. However I don't see the point in being tight when you get a chance to have a break away from the hectic family and working life!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Good location within easy waking distance of Leeds centre, nice large room ( very dark though) with good attention to the finer details. Nice bathroom - large bottles of shampoo etc not those tiny things !
2 course dinner was included. Food was very nice but rather spoilt by the extras - £4 for bread, £4 for chips, £13 service charge etc etc. Surely margins arent that tight that they cant include a few bits of bread !
Breakfast - nice cold buffet followed by wide variety of hot choices all cooked to order - not the fight over the watery beans or solid eggs at the buffet counter.
Car parking is 5 mins away - £10 over night.
Overall staff well trained and professional, decor great with lots of Halloween touches. Some nice touches that differentiates it from other majors but watch the extras !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Scunthorpe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Welcoming reception staff, room everything you need, dinner fantastic, great location, remember....... Parking cost, there is no on-site parking. Watch out for that pesky service charge!
My husband and I have stayed here before, this stay was for our wedding anniversary, having four children this was the perfect retreat. We had a weekend offer which included a 3 course dinner in the price. On arrival there was a warm welcome from the reception staff, everything was explained about the facilities and arrangements for dinner & breakfast. Our room was clean and adequate for the needs of our stay. Dinner was fantastic, just a note, watch out for the extra little bits your encouraged to add on i.e: bread, olives, water...... SERVICE CHARGE, I like to choose whether I tip or not. I challenged this at reception on checking out, we didn't have to pay it. Overall our stay was just what we needed and nothing was spoilt. I will defiantly visit again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This was my second overnight stay in about a year at Leeds Mal (which is approximately 363 stays too short). Yet again, they completely surpassed all expectations.

I love this place, from the moment we arrived the receptionists were pleasant, welcoming and chatty (extra points for the halloween headbands and tasty themed treats on the desk!). We were shown to our room - sorry, I had better correct that, we were shown to our indulgent, beautiful, extravagant suite.....absolutely outstanding, also known as The Depot. It had the wow factor for sure. The lounge area was perfectly set out with the double doors to the bedroom area just slightly ajar giving you a peek at what lies in store for sleep time...the bed was HUGE and so comfortable, I knew right away it was going to be a challenge getting up in the morning.

Then the exciting bit....we were shown the bathroom. Should have taken my diving gear, the bath was superb, I cant even say sunken into the floor, as that gives the wrong impression, its like a mini swimming pool, with steps down, and surprisingly doesnt take long to fill up either (as soon as the lovely lady who showed us round had left we got the taps on and jumped in, we couldnt wait!) Equipped with bath oils and a couple of glasses of wine we sat and enjoyed the moment. Perfection! We drained the bath, and felt a bit greasy due to the bath oil - ideal time to try out the monsoon shower - wow!!! It was literally the best shower ive ever had. After emerging from the wetness of the bathroom we noticed the lounge had steamed up a bit, then there was a knock on the door to say the fire alarm had been set off - ooops!!! Concerned we didnt hear it, but it was just the sensors that had been alerted from our room, best to keep the bathroom door shut, although the dressing gowns are super fluffy and cosy, wouldnt want to be evacuated in one!

I noticed some other reviewers complaining about the price of the wine?! £20 for a bottle of wine is pretty standard in most establishments with some kind of credibility, maybe you need to get out more.

I thought the wine we had was great value, the bottle of red in the room was £13.95, a spanish tempranillo, we also ordered a bottle of house white at £6.95 from the bar - cant go wrong!!!

I could rave on and on about this room and about the hotel, There are so many good things about the suite, but the best thing I could reccommend is to try it yourself, you will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Pick The Depot Suite - well worth it!!!!!