“Very close to the university!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Glengarth Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Glengarth Hotel
You added Glengarth Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   162 Woodsley Road, Leeds LS2 9LZ, England   |
Ranked #10 of 21 Leeds B&B and Inns
Hampshire, UK
“Very close to the university!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel as I was visiting the university. It really is the perfect location - literally a 3 minute walk to the Biological Sciences department, which was exactly what I needed.
We checked into the hotel at about 11:30pm, which was pre-arranged by email. We were greeted by a young man in his late teens/early 20s who appeared to be the only customer facing employee and were shown to our room promptly. The room was basic but clean. There was a double bed and a single bed as well as a wardrobe and a desk, all of which fitted in the room comfortable with room to spare. The bathroom was clean as well with complementary soap and shampoo and there was also towels provided. The bed was comfy although slightly hard, but nothing to complain about - after six hours of driving I would have slept pretty comfortably on a brick wall. However there were two plug sockets in the room, one of which was about 7 feet in the air. Luckily we had brought a USB extention cable so this wasn't a problem so I would definitely recommend bringing one if you wish to use both plug sockets at the same time.
Breakfast was a choice of a full English breakfast or cereal. My partner opted for the English breakfast which he was pleased with. We discovered after breakfast that they took requests in terms of how your meal was cooked, e.g. scrambled egg rather than fried, which would have been handy to know beforehand. The breakfast room was fairly small and we did have to share a table so if there are more than two of you going I would recommend going early into breakfast if you do not want to be split up (breakfast is from 7:30-8:30.) I would also recommend facing towards the window and away from the kitchen; one of the chefs has a tendency to stare and it got a bit uncomfortable at times. The young man who greeted us was also present to welcome us into breakfast; despite us being there at 11:30pm at night he was still up to greet us at 7am the next day, which I though was admirable. Although I could help but feel another customer facing employee would have taken some of the pressure off him.
Overall I found the hotel comfortable and clean. I was also able to park my car there after the checkout time, which was extremely handy given the cost of parking elsewhere. I would recommend it for the price. The furnishings and wallpaper aren't the most modern and, as another review stated, it did look a bit "tired," but the service was good, the room was spacious and the location is fantastic.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Horsham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011 via mobile

Booked this hotel as I was visiting the university.
It couldn't have been better located, just across the street. Even though we we checked out they let us park our car at their sister hotel a minute walk away while we spent the day at the Uni which was nearer than the car parks.
We booked a twin room which turned out to be 2 double beds.
Staff are very polite and helpful.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed here while visiting my son at Leeds Uni. Its in the perfect location for the campus, only 2-3 minutes walk. The staff are very friendly, and the hotel is clean and perfectly adequate. There is a sense that fittings are hanging on by a thread...one screw used, where two would actually hold the towel rail in place a little firmer. However, at £45 for a Saturday night, its probably as good as you will find in this part of Leeds. I'm sure I'll go again.

Room Tip: Use your sat nav to get around Leeds...the roads aren't the easiest to navigate
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My daughter and I went to Leeds for the university open day. I found the Glengarth on the Uni website. Although it looked tired from the outside we found our room clean, comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was very new and although small it was a good shower - powerful and lots of hot water. The room had a television with a wide choice of channels and there was a kettle with tea, coffee and longlife milk in the room which was very welcome after the long journey. The owners were very helpful and welcoming. Breakfast was a full english or continental which was nice and plentiful. The Glengarth was in a brilliant location for the uni and if we have to bring my daughter back for an interview at Leeds Uni I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed in the Glengarth with my co-author of a paper we were presenting the next day at a conference in the law department of Leeds Uni. The price (50 pounds for the room) was good, the room itself was adequately sized, bathroom small but fully functional, and the 'continental' breakfast the next day was good too (cereal, toast, tea and orange juice, in fact what I eat normally). The law department was literally five minutes' walk away, so a perfect location for two junior academics who are not 'morning' people! The staff were friendly, albeit somewhat confused by my Scottish accent yet also ability to speak Italian. Although they do take credit cards, I think they charge extra, so better to pay in cash. They also have free wifi for guests (although we didn't use it).

Room Tip: Perhaps asking for a room not facing the road would mean a quieter night's sleep.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We needed somewhere to stay near the university and there wasnt much choice, looked on their website and wasnt looking forward to staying here but it looked the best of a bad bunch,

I was pleasantly suprised, yes the rooms are basic, but for £45 for a double room including a full english i have no complaints. Rooms are clean, bedding was nice, tea & coffee & hairdryer provided & theres a small free car park. Small flat screen tv in room aswell. Small (newly refurbished) bathroom with shower. Area was very quiet yet 5 minutes into town.

If i needed to stay in this area again i would book this B&B again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

Just come back from staying atvthe Glengarth for a friends stag do. It does exactly what you would want in a budget hotel - clean rooms, comfy beds and very powerful showers. Owner very friendly too.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Glengarth Hotel? Share your experiences!