“Great hotel, but couldn't find the fishing rod” 4 of 5 stars

42 The Calls
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   42 The Calls, Leeds LS2 7EW, England   |
Ranked #28 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, but couldn't find the fishing rod”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I'm a great fan of TripAdvisor and it never ceases to amaze me how some people seem almost offended if other reviewers don't agree with their opinion - but that's what makes TA so good, it's all about opinions and it's why it works so well - one man's meat another man's poison sort of thing - anyway back to 42 The Calls, well I liked it. It's a ubiquitous 'boutique' hotel, but I'm not sure what that actually means, but I guess when it was first opened back in the early 90s I think, this must have been quite a revelation for Leeds, so ok it's a bit worn at the edges now but it doesn't detract from it being comfortable, perhaps even cosy, which many 'boutique' hotels can't claim to be.

Check in was efficient, friendly and quick and we were welcomed with a glass of wine to take to our room - nice touch, as were the quirky offerings in the rooms - Smarties, fudge and yep, the little frog soaps - nothing luxurious, but memorable all the same, however couldn't find the fishing rod which I had heard about for river facing rooms (ok we were on the 3rd floor so I'll let them off). The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was clean and tidy and the flat screen TV had a great picture, the vaulted, beamed ceiling gave the room (305) a real 'lofty' feel - I liked it - alright the carpet was a bit threadbare but that was one of the few downsides.

Liked the valet parking and the idea of breakfast in your room through a hatch if required, however we decided not to have breakfast in the hotel at all, which as it turned out probably wasn't a good idea as surprise surprise struggled to find anywhere nearby which did a decent English breakfast - eventually finished up at the nearby Palace pub for admittedly a bargain £4.95 full English with tea which I was ok with but think the missus wanted something a bit posher - but Harvey Nics £11 bagels and coffee didn't really do it for me.

Downsides - yes, the room was hot and stuffy and could have benefitted from aircon, we left the windows open and yes you could hear noise from outside, but for us not excessive - the clip-clop of girls in their high heels going over nearby Brewery Bridge is hardly grounds for a major complaint and probably on a par with staying in a quiet country hotel and hearing cows mooing through the night. I'm a city boy so it was no big deal.

We ate in the evening in the Brasserie next door which was excellent, good value and good food, very busy but they managed to fit us in - very friendly and efficient service, can highly recommend.

One other point about 42 The Calls, I filled in one of the questionnaires that was in the room, mostly with good comments but with a few criticisms (aircon again!) and to my surprise had a very nice letter within a couple of days from the manager - and this was no photocopied mass produced answer, but personally written and signed thanking me for my stay and my comments, like the Smarties a nice touch I think.

• Liked — Comfortable, quirky, friendly
  • Disliked — Stuffy rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

We spent a couple of nights here for our 20th wedding anniversary. Situated in an old mill the hotel oozes character, we only wish we had made the effort to come years ago.
The room was clean, funky and spacious but to be fair was due for a refurb. The Calls has been open for a good 10 years and it is starting to show as fashion/trends change black ash furniture etc
What i can say is the breakfast was the best I have ever had and it was cooked to order and was served in good time.
I didnt know there were so many different sausages (nice to see black pudding on the menu).
We shopped til we dropped and ate at Restaurant Bar & Grill one night, Excellent. 2nd night Raymind Blanc's Bistro 5 mins stroll which again was first class and not pretentious.
The staff were really friendly, we met the head housekeeper who showed us a couple of the other rooms, lovely lady and an ambassador to 42 The Calls.
Book direct rather than through an agent you get £20 a night off.

• Liked — Location, staff and most of all the breakfast.
  • Disliked — Nothing to really moan at.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

I was a little nervous having read a few reviews about the noise. And indeed, when I arrived, a loud group of youngsters made a lot of noise on the canal bank opposite - luckily the rain arrive and drove them away! To be fair, it's difficult to know what the hotel can do about this, but double-glazing would be start.

First impressions were good, pleasant receptionist, competent check-in, glass of wine. The room (a "Director Suite") was acceptably large and nicely decorated with a decent bathroom. The decor was simple, clean and modern.

The hotel doesn't have a restaurant but the brasserie next door was fine, although very quiet on a wet Monday night. Breakfast in The River Room was good; a perfectly-cooked haddock and a decent buffet selection.

Really, then, nothing to complain about, but nothing to shout about either. The staff were competent but not particualrly friendly (with the expcetion of the complimentary chauffer, who was a great character!). Perhaps this is what we should expect; but during the evening I walked around the city and encountered exactly the freindly, direct service in other places that I'd somehow expected from Leeds, and which The Calls seemed largely to lack.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

We have stayed at 42 The Calls several times but I'm afraid not again. In the past we were willing to overlook the noise issues (more on that later) due to the good service and location, but on this occasion the service was not up to scratch and other little niggles prevented us enjoying our time.

First, the good things. The location is excellent and the valet parking appreciated. The bed was comfortable, the room a reasonable size (although on the small size for one of their top rooms) and the fudge a nice touch.

However, the oppressive heat of the rooms (no air con, as expected due to the old building that the hotel ooccupies) means that you have no choice but to open the windows and let the breeze cool you down. Unfortuately this breeze is also accompanied by noise from the Brewery Wharf and also a new menace - party boats that play loud dance music as they travel up and down, then disgorge their charming occupants who proceed to shout drunkenly under the windows.....for about an hour. Add to this the constant clang of high heels over the accompanying bridge and you can kiss goodbye to a good night's sleep. I do feel very sorry for management who obviously can't do anything about this but the noise is so all consuming that it ruins your entire night.

Other minor niggles:

- staff are on the whole disinterested, which is a shame as this was always a strong point
- decor is looking a little tired
- inaccurate room service delivery, we had to force an apology. Didn't really appreciate the suggestion that the missing item could be delivered in about 20 minutes - I like my side order with the meal it is supposed to accompany - but at least it did not appear on the bill.
- Egyptian cotton sheets are actually 50% polycotton - but very soft nonetheless (I only know because I looked to see who had made them, as they were so nice, I wanted to buy some myself!)

I could cope with the minor points (apart from the disinterested staff, however this is possibly only certain staff members as there were a couple of noteable exceptions) but I'm afraid when I go to a hotel I want to be able to sleep, and this 42 The Calls cannot deliver - except maybe in winter?!

We will probably not be staying here again - and I am very disappointed to be saying that.

• Liked — Central location, character
  • Disliked — Noisy
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
barnsley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on a friday night for my girlfriends birthday.
We had an executive room with a view over the river which was nice and relaxing didnt find it too noisy as in some previous reviews.
The rooms themselves are nice and large with luxury bathroom amenities i liked the complimentary fudge and bottled water in the room nice touch,also the molton brown toiletries.
I felt the rooms themselves were due a refurbishment with bits of the wallpaper not in the best of conditions.
The beds are very comfortable.
The common areas also need new carpets as they are looking rather worn.
The points i did like are the turndown service, glass of wine on arrival, valet parking,Nice comfy bed ohh and my girlfriend especially liked the little soap frogs in the bathroom.

I wouldnt pay the standard rate of £180 per night for the room but got a last minute deal for £85 so worth that amount all day long.

Would return hopefully next time they will have amended to the minor floors (carpets etc.)

• Liked — the little frogs
  • Disliked — carpets
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed there last weekend. It is perfect for a weekend away, with rooms full of character and amazingly friendly service. We particularly liked the self-service bar! We only had two gripes overall:

1. While the absence of aircon is understandable in a building of this type, the room and the hotel as a whole was uncomfortably hot throughout our stay.

2. In places, the fixtures and fittings seem a little worn, particular the carpets on the stairs.

These points aside we had a great stay and would recommend this to anyone looking for a change from the mundanity of chain hotels!

• Liked — The friendly staff and stylish room
  • Disliked — Lack of temperature control
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

Just returned from a 1 night stay for our anniversary , hotel is great if a bit quirky , Valet parking was a dream , I e.mailed before we arrived to see if there was a room availbale with a view over the river , unfortunately these were already taken . However the hotel arranged for Champagne & chocs to be in the room on our arrival .
Room was really nice , but and this is a big but - the noise at night was terrible as Leeds has a vibrant nightlife and the revellers were singing and shouting outside our room up to 5.30 on Sunday morning. This could be easily rectified by secondary double glazing as we are not the first to comment.
Back to the positives the breakfast was superb - cooked to order which is a pleasant change from choosing from under hotplates .
Overall a really nice stay if a bit overpriced

• Liked — It's different
  • Disliked — The noise at night / early morning
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to 42 The Calls? Share your experiences!