“Pros and Cons” 3 of 5 stars

London
“Pros and Cons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here last Saturday night - very mixed feelings;
Pros
* Beautiful room with canal view, room 304
* Lovely breakfast, although not included
Cons
* Ridiculous and rather tight check in at 4pm, how late is that!
* Very early - and on a sunday too - check out at 11am.

Cons totally outweighed the cons I'm afraid, what's the point in treating yourself to a night at a lovely hotel only to be barely allowed to be in it?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am glad that you found your allocated room beautiful and enjoyed breakfast.

I am sorry you did not find our check in and checkout times suitable to you, early arrivals can be requested, although we are not able to guarantee these and luggage can be left with reception.

I do hope we can welcome you back to 42 The Calls in the future.

506 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We've stayed at 42 The Calls several times, usually in winter. This time we stayed in August for a celebration and it was somewhat noisier (re opposite the river). Sound seems to travel on the water! It didn't help that we didn't have curtains but rustic window covers and whilst they were very nice they weren't at all practical. We spoke to reception and they quickly moved us to another room which was lovely and much quieter. The hotel is starting to look a little shabby here and there, particularly with regard to carpets and some of the bedding valances. However, the service is great, the rooms are well equipped and very comfortable and the breakfast is one of the best we've ever had so we would always go back....its a lovely place right by the canal but is perhaps due a little overhaul here and there and it is so much nicer than the bigger hotels in Leeds - much more personal. I love the frog soaps!

Room Tip: All the rooms we have stayed in are lovely - we usually have a Director room (just a little bigger e...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for posting a review.

Overall it seems you had a comfortable stay and you feel we have a personal feel.

I am glad that the team were able to assist and move you quickly to an alternative room, after finding the original wooden shutters not suitable for you.

We are a due for a full refurbishment of the bedrooms and I am sure the team will be able to keep you updated on this.

I do hope the team and I will see you again soon, if not in the winter.

west yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I organised a night away to celebrate my boyfriends birthday, we don't live too far away from Leeds, and we know it's a good night out. So I had a look around and found 42 The Calls, we love the bars in the area so this hotel was perfect for us.
After reading a few reviews on here I did worry slightly as some people have said the street noise can be bad, that and the fact it was Leeds Fest that weekend. However we were very happy (we had both had a couple of shandys which is also good for sleep).
So we arrived at 8ish, booked in, got our glass of wine, headed to the room to dump our bag (carried up by a lovely young man) (didn't know if we should tip him as we don't get out much).
He showed us around the very good sized room (on the side of the building looking onto the bridge).
Mini bar wasn't silly priced like some I've seen, Bathroom was large and nice and clean (just need to replace the shaving mirror) loads of little extras, soap, shampoo, bonnet de douche, fudge, shortbread handmade by Nigel, god bless him.......the lightest shortbread we've ever had!
2 big fluffy robes, iron and board, TROUSER PRESS!! Tea and coffee shenanigans.
The only problem was we weren't spending hardly any time in the room! The bed was very good also!
The staff were all very friendly and smiley.
We didn't have breakfast this time but I know there is a plethora of sausage choice, and will be returning to test it out.
Will recommend. Thanks for having us! x

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I do hope your boyfriend had a lovely birthday.

I was delighted to read that you were impressed with your room and the team on duty, we do have a very dedicated team at 42 and they love what they do.

Make sure you have breakfast with us on your next stay so you can at least try one of the twelve sausages. The reservations team will be happy to talk you through the best bed and breakfast price for your chosen date.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

42 The Calls is situated very close to the City centre. My husband and I stayed in the deluxe room, 207, for 2 nights. We booked through Expedia as the hotel couldn't match their prices. We were shown to our room earlier than the specified 4pm check-in time and were offered a complimentary glass of wine. The cream carpet in our room was stained in many different areas and the carpet was a little threadbare outside on the landing. The room had tea/coffee making facilities, a little glass of fudge and shortbread biscuits (topped up daily), an iron and ironing board and 2 dressing gowns. The shower was powerful and the bathroom immaculate.

Unfortunately we could hear every creak from the floor above, every sound from outside in the street, every passing car and people talking in the corridors. On top of all this the room got extremely hot although it wasn’t particularly warm outside. The hotel kindly let us take their fan upstairs on the second night but we didn’t sleep much better. We didn’t book breakfast at the hotel as there are many cheaper places close by.

All staff were helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: You can hear noise from both inside the hotel and outside so you can forget about sleeping.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your review.

Although you thought the team were helpful and welcoming I was concerned to read your other comments.

I am only sorry that I was not aware of your issues with noise during your two night stay as had you made us aware then I could have looked in to moving you to a different room.

If you are in Leeds again please do contact me directly so I can personally oversee your stay.

Rotherham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed for one night in August. It looks so much better on the Internet than in real life. The corridors are small, doors like prison cell doors. Rooms are adequate. Double bed a bit small.

We were placed on the side and we got no sleep. People all night walked by talking/singing after their night out. I don't if there is a club nearby to attract so many people.

No air con and it was a hot day and so we had to have the window open which made the noise worse!!

Location is ok. Have to walk last a dodgy looking bar so at night I didn't feel too safe.

Rooms were clean and nicely furnished but the wallpaper was coming off the walls and the arms chairs were dirty. Bathroom was fine and quite big.

Got taken to our room which we found strange as we had no luggage and he was expecting a tip to simply walk us. He didn't get one. I only tip if I feel someone has gone above and beyond for me. He didn't. And it's not exactly the ritz. It didn't warrant it at all.

Went at 2 hoping they might let us check in early. No they wouldn't, yet placed our shopping bags in the room?!

I wouldn't stay there again. I would rather stay in a travelodge.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for informing me about your stay.

Despite finding your room clean and nicely furnished, I was concerned to read your other comments.

We are located in the city centre and it is difficult for us to control external noise, I understand you had to open your window due to the hot weather; however we could have provided you with a fan upon request.

We like to offer a full check in to all our guests, which includes a porter showing you to your room and explaining things in the room such as the privacy hatch where newspapers, room service and other items are delivered to. I can appreciate some hotels may not offer this service as part of their check in and you may not have come across this before.

We do store luggage before the check in time of 4pm and if an early arrival is requested on booking, then every effort is made to accommodate this.

I am sorry I was not aware of your comments during or on departure so I could have personally spoken to you.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I started here recently in room 305 very big a lot of room! Most of the staff are friendly soon need to smile a little bit more made me feel not welcome. Housekeeping staff walked in without knocking saw me and walked back out didn't say anything no sorry or anything HOW RUSE!! Getting in to bed the sheets looked like they had been slept in, also found hairs in didn't look like they had been changed. Will recommend and tell people to check sheet before they get into bed. Stayed 31st July 2013

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for informing me about your recent stay.

I was concerned to read your comments especially relating to the standard of service you received from our housekeeping team.

I can honestly assure you that the bedding will have been freshly changed ready for your arrival as this is of course a standard procedure but we also have processes in place which ensure that this is double checked on a daily basis by senior members of our housekeeping team. I have checked back on the log for the day you stayed and all procedures have been carried out correctly.

Please accept my apologies if you were disturbed by the housekeeping team, I have of course spoken to them as they always knock before entering a room.

I am only sorry that you did not make the team aware of your concerns during your stay so that they could have been addressed at the time and rectified.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Hotel is in a great location close to trendy bars and eateries and a short walk to the centre!
Only issue is noise in the rooms facing the bridge! It's a major walkway to the bars and as such the noise that comes with that! On a warm night there is no air con so impossible to have the windows shut!
Other than this great staff who took care of my dog who was distressed being on his own in the room!! Wonderful service x

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for posting a review.

I am delighted that you felt you had a wonderful service from the team during your stay.

We have had some very humid weather of late and although we do not have air conditioning we are able to provide a fan upon request.

We would love to see you and your dog again soon.

Operations Manager

Been to 42 The Calls? Share your experiences!