“Slow service but good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Slow service but good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

i went on a work do with four people and overall it was a good night. the alcohol prices are reasonable and the food is of a high quality. we had a groupon which they seem to do frequently online and it makes a big difference to the price. the food is usually always very good.

the big problem i have with this place is the service. it is so slow! i have been about 4 times and have been there on average at least two and half hours. we had to order the drinks and remind the waiters we were waiting still and we didnt get offered popadoms (we had to ask) i am surprised it is always so busy because it is poor service. ive been before with my little boy and we purposely asked if they could be quick with the food - arrived at 5 didnt get out until 7.30!

i would say visit, if you like an indian meal the food is really good, but make sure you are persistent and dont just sit there because they will forget you are waiting! the bar area upstairs is also very nice too and in a group with us having drinks between courses the wait didnt seem so bad.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Stomach bug...twice!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I first went here in 2008. It was busy and bustling, id heared fantastic things about it. The bar terrace area is lovely. I had chicken korma and rice and enjoyed it. That night around 6 hours later i was violently sick throughout the night to the point i have never touched a korma since! I thought it could have been something i ate the day before so in 2012 i tried East again this time for lunch. It was a weekday with only me and my friend in there. I had a naan filled with meat on top. Once again around 6 hours later i had stomach cramps then sickness and diohrreha. Obviously i cant prove this was East but surely twice cant be coincidence?

Nice tasting food, not the best curry near by as so close to Bradford so they have high competition but i dont think the awards justify the food really. Nice atmosphere (apart from day time) and bar area and friendly staff but my experience has put me off visiting again for sure.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Wouldn't go again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

It was my brothers birthday
So I went here yesterday as place looks nice.the service put me off completely the staff are rude. They didn't introduce themselves. Never cracked a smile. Brought the cake out without asking us.or clearing the table!and gave us a standard eating knife to cut it!didnt have the champagne that was on there menu. And we had to keep getting up to ask for basic stuff like plates.Food was average over priced.overall I would never come here again.cafe Akbars service is amazing!!!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
bradford
“Good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Went with groupon voucher with friends booked in at 9pm. Got sat down about 9.40pm. We ordered our food which arrived quite quickly. The food was great but not everything we ordered arrived. The service was a bit poor too. I would try again as the food was quite nice.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Food good, service terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Booked table for 9.00pm for 8 of us as we all had groupon vouchers. Turned up on time to be told table not ready and would be 30 mins -which it was! Went to bar which was badly under staffed - took ages fir a drink.
Ordered popadoms and pickles and requested they be gratis due to wait which was done.
Mixed reviews for food .... Some best lamb curry ever, others almost average.
So overall - food mixed but management really need to get handle on service issues!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere