“Would never return - avoid room 225” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   City Square, Leeds LS1 1PJ, England   |
Ranked #17 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Would never return - avoid room 225”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here whilst attending a conference and unfortunately it was fully booked so couldn't move room. Potentially could be an amazing art deco hotel but it simply wan't up to the required standard.

Generally staff are friendly and the public areas were satisfactory.

Room - small with double bed pushed up against the wall so only accessible from one side of the bed so not suitable for couples. There was a very strong stench of some kind of solvent which was unpleasant to say the least. Generally the room facilities were fairly basic but if they had been finished appropriately it would have been acceptable and perhaps even nice. Unfortunately it wasn't and the there were burn marks on the carpet (with strategically placed chair of course) and TV remote held together with electrical insulation tape.My room was immediately next to the lift shaft and unfortunately the lifts are old and very noisy so kept me awake all night (I even popped to Boots in the neighbouring train station to get ear plugs and that didn't help). There was also no hot water any point during my stay in my room. It wasn't just that it had ran out as I tried again in the early hours and again at 7am. Just tepid water to shower with. The bathroom otherwise looked OK other than long dark hair on the towel provided.

I tried the hotel food during the conference and it looked ok but actually was quite poorly executed. Had thai chicken breast skewers at lunch which were distinctly pink in the middle. Breakfast was nothing special, some rather limp anaemic sausages and had to wait 25 minutes to get coffee.

I suspect the experience may be considerably better when they aren't fully booked with a conference. I wasn't paying for the conference but if I had been I definitely would have refused to pay for the room.

In conclusion, food - not great, Sleep - non-existent due to noisy lift, Room - shabby in places, Bathroom - couldn't really use as no hot water! Very dissapointed

I would have much preferred to have stayed in another hotel, even a travelodge/ibis/premier inn

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here with my elderly mum on an overnight break. The location next to station is perfect for people with poor mobility. Staff could not have been more helpful throughout our stay. Room was perfect - requested superior twin at the front and allocated no problem - great location and room was spotless and beautifully decorated. My mum could give "The Hotel Inspector" a run for her money and could not fault it - she is now telling all her friends about her magical weekend in Leeds - thank you to everyone there for such a warm welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms at front overlooking square have good view. If you are travelling by train hotel has bag stor...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Christopher B

Thank you for your lovely review, I was very pleased to read that you both very much enjoyed your stay an din particular our central location. Thank you for recommending us to others; we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband chose this hotel for our overnight stay as it is central and looked good on the website. Staff were polite.
We arrived at the check in time, queued for about 15 mins to be told our room was not ready. We were asked to leave our keys with the Concierge to park the car and it was still sitting outside 2 hours later. The service in the bar area was poor at tea-time and later in the evening. The AC and the telephone in our room did not work and there was no hot water for a shower in the morning.
Will not be visiting again.

Dear Sue S

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the bar and will address this with our Bars Manager. I was sorry too that not everything went according to plan in your room and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our onsite maintenance team; I would have hoped that whilst you were with us they were aware of the issues and did try and rectify any problems encountered.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when next booking your stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Brighouse, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

i booked a QClub room (room 827) on 24th at the Queens as a surprise for our Anniversary. Booking in was quick and the receptionist was very pleasant. Our room was smaller than expected and the curtain had cigarette burns in, we were short of towels and had to go find a room attendant for more towels. We decided to celebrate with a drink and went for some ice - machine not working. Went to the QClub lounge - no ice and the room looked as if a tornado had whirled through. We decided to have a coffee whilst in the QClub lounge and hey presto! coffee machine not working. My husband was very frustrated by this point as being on the QClub floor you pay extra for the use of the lounge which has coffee, nibbles etc - none of which were available. By this time were both annoyed and frustrated and i decided to go down to the reception for some ice. The receptionist was very apologetic and I reported the coffee machine not working. but by the time I returned to our room my husband was packing our case and wanting to move to another hotel, this of course caused a bit of "debate" between us. With in 10minutes a bottle of wine was delivered to our door but im afraid the day was already spoiled and I am not ashamed to say that i spent the rest of the afternoon in tears. The bed was very uncomfortable and we seemed to roll to the middle of the bed every time we moved. I woke with backache and all I wanted to do was pack and go home. I went along to the QClub lounge to make some coffee and guess what? yes the machine was out of order. What a waste of time and money, although the breakfast was very good. this was supposed to be a celebration and a special treat. instead it was a nightmare having spent over 45 minutes on arrival at our room running about for numerous things. Thank you very much.

Dear BevJ175

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you correct you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service and would hope that this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.
I was however happy that we were able to offer you a bottle of wine as a gesture of goodwill and that the hotel did everything possible to improve your enjoyment of your stay.

Please contact me personally when next staying in the city and I will do what I can to further
enhance your stay.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed at the Queens last weekend, Hotel is very centrally located ,clean and offers all facilities expected but really £8.30 for a glass of wine is way overpriced. All bar prices are just too expensive.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Kevin B

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your review, I was pleased that you found the hotel’s central location perfect for your needs however disappointed to read that you found our bar to be overpriced. Please be assured that our prices are certainly more than competitive with those of a similar 4* status in the city.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel more than fulfilled our expectations. The hotel was plush for the price. The service was excellent. All hotel staff were exceptionally polite, helpful and friendly. We were particularly impressed with the concierge, David, who was very informative, helpful and efficient. The lobby is impressive and inviting. The rooms are clean, warm and functional. Excellent location - right next to the station and a short walk into town. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear chrisb24

Thank you for your lovely review, delighted that we exceeded expectations and will certainly pass on your kind thoughts to the team, I am sure that they will find them a great source of motivation.

I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Warmest regards

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Hotel is perfect location for shopping, trains etc. the superior twin we had was nice, windows need replacing/cleaning. Staff were friendly. Lifts were very slow and not enough of them for number of guests. Had meal in restaurant Saturday night, food was stone cold as was the plate. Sent it back only to receive the same plate back with the same food on it just covered in gravy! Cold potatoes. Guests next to us had complained night previous about cold substandard food and were back in on complimentary meal. Obviously not a one off problem. Bar service was slow and couldn't get the order right. Breakfast was lovely but make sure your down before 9.15 otherwise your queuing. Would look to stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Alnicky

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the wider travelling community and for letting us have your constructive feedback. Pleased that you enjoyed our fabulous central location and that you found the team to be friendly. I am sorry that you found our lifts to be a little slower than their modern counterparts we do find that as part of the original 1937 they have a charm of their own but apologise for any frustrations caused.

Apologies too for the very disappointing dining experience, I will certainly address your concerns with the Restaurant Manager and Executive Chef, I can assure you that this is certainly not the usual standard of quality or service.

I do hope that this experience has not tainted your view of the hotel and would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith.

Warm regards

Jacquie Hanson

Been to The Queens - Leeds? Share your experiences!