“Mixed feelings...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Manchester
“Mixed feelings...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Hotel was cheap but still, ripped carpets??bar was reasonable priced and staff friendly.like most of britannia hotels the staff make do with what they've got.

Room was as expected for the price.
Hotel little run down but over all good stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Folkestone, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I booked through lastminute.com and got a room for £24. After reading some of the reviews I was a little concerned, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is easy to find, off the A64, and car parking is easy. My room was clean and very comfortable. There was a new flat-screen TV and free wi-fi. The receptionist told me that the wi-fi only worked in the lounge, but it worked fine in my room (116). The bathroom ceiling in my room could do with a fresh coat of paint, and some of the wooden doors in the corridors are a little scratched where guests have pushed suitcases along, but those are minor things - I'd happily stay there again. The receptionist was very helpful and photocopied a map of Leeds for me.

Room Tip: Room 115 was fine when I stayed there, and the wi-fi worked there.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The staff was polite but the hotel is in very poor condition. The room and bathroom were spacious but dirty, even after service. Bed and pillows were uncomfortable. The corridors were quite noisy and it disturbed sleeping. The hotel is well located, close to a large supermarket and some fast food restaurants, and with good public bus services. If you are in a tight budget it is probably a better option than a hostel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ingleton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I booked a room here via LateRooms.com for the night before my father-in-law's funeral so my husband wouldn't have the added stress during what was already a difficult time of rushing to get ready and drive down there in time in the morning (we live 2 hours away and I can't drive). It cost about £35 for a double room for the both of us and we decided to pay an extra £10 to add a cooked breakfast for the next morning bringing the total up to around £45 which seemed very good but if we had known what it would have been like we would have found somewhere else and gladly paid more.
We both had an awful nights sleep followed by a miserable breakfast and we were both glad to leave.

To make a long story short here are a list of positive points and a list of negatives - why not take a look and decide for yourself?

Positives:
* Reception and downstairs looked nice enough.
* Staff seemed generally quite friendly.
* The radiator in the room worked very well.
* The shower is simple enough to use and seemed to work fine.

Negatives:
* The hotel is situated in what is clearly a run down area.
* Car park is very cramped at night.
* Second floor hallway smelled akin to raw sewage and bedroom had a similar smell.
* Second floor décor dated and dingy.
* Walls in bedroom were filthy - disturbing stains and paint had been knocked in several places.
* The floor and light fittings were also filthy.
* Soap scum on all taps, shower head, all over sink. Bathroom bin was filthy.
* Toilet was filthy and cistern was broken. The whole thing creaked and leaned forward when sat on and did not flush properly. We had to use downstairs main toilets.
* Although they appeared clean and ironed, there were hairs on the bed covers.
* After releasing the end of the duvet from under the mattress, it became apparent it had been tucked there to hide the fact the cover was far too small to cover the duvet.
* The pillows were worn out bits of sponge and the mattress was terrible - almost solid.
* Cups and spoons in the room were filthy and glasses had white fibres and smears as though they had simply been wiped out with one of the bathroom towels.
* Window did not seal properly allowing us to hear very clearly the nearby busy ring road.
* Something (like a pipe perhaps?) was ticking and knocking loudly inside the wall all night. It would stop and start randomly so we'd get used to it, be dropping off to sleep and then it would stop and start again waking us up.
* The cistern in the bathroom randomly started trickling loudly in the middle of the night.
* The massive gap under the bedroom door meant we could very clearly hear other guests and I'm sure they could hear us. We could also hear music and noise from downstairs.
* The cooked breakfast comprised of cheap fatty tasteless sausages, questionable eggs, overcooked bacon, scrambled eggs swimming in milk and 'fresh' coffee that tasted as though it had been sitting for days. There was also some fruit which looked dried out and going off colour.
* Cutlery was filthy as were the glasses which meant we were put off having drink of juice with our breakfast.
* Ongoing building work from 9am-6pm each day which we found out from a card in the room - nobody mentioned this to us when we booked or checked in.
* Upon checkout, having waited at reception for some time for someone to appear, when she finally did the phone next to me rang and without even acknowledging my presence the lady answered it after which she ignored me for a few more minutes while she looked at something on the computer.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202 like the plague - it was disgusting.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Hotel is defenately very tired. However, for £24 it was worth a risk. Room was okay.
Food in the bar was not great. I did not have breakfast.
The public area's are pretty tatty and there is some building work going on. Nice and close to the motorway

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Having stayed at Britannia Hotels before myself and my family always seem to have a really good stay and and if we have any problems the Hotel seems to be very keen to resolve them.

The same was the case here and again I'm a bit bewildered by some of the negative comments that I seem to find on each and every Britannia Hotel site either on Trip Advisor or any other travel review site.

The Staff were welcoming and though I had a momentary worry when initially they couldn't find my name I was checked in very quickly and found my room without any problems. The room was very very spacious and included a bed, and setee as well as a good sized bathroom. The TV was missing ITV1 but C4 but you don't go away to be sat watching TV in the Hotel Room.

For £29 including a very good buffet breakfast I most certainly got value for money.

The Hotel is located in a rougher part of Leeds and I found that the nearest bus stop could only be located via going under an underpass which was ok during the day but considerably darker at night.

If travelling back in the evening I'd advise using your own transport or getting a taxi which cost me £11.40 from Leeds city centre.

That is probably the only thing that would make me think twice about returning - not that I can hold the Hotel accountable for that.

Room Tip: The £2 surcharge for use of debit card was clearly stated on by booking confirmation.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night in this hotel. Reception staff were pleasant enough but not what I expected from a this hotel chain. When I entered the room there was a smell of damp! I found this was coming from the windows. The room was an ok size but dated. Furniture was quite old looking but room and bed was clean. Bathroom was dated also. When you sat on toilet seat it moved!!! Breakfast was very good. I know there is building work going on in the hotel so it may improve.!also had to pay a £2 surcharge on my credit card when making payment for room ! This has never happened to me in any hotel! Location wise was great for me as I needed to stay on the ring road/York road. Would I stay here again? No.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Britannia Leeds Hotel? Share your experiences!