“'Some people just like moaning'” 5 of 5 stars

Cosmopolitan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lower Briggate, Leeds LS1 4AE, England (Holbeck)   |
Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Bolton, United Kingdom
“'Some people just like moaning'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

I stayed here with my wife and we had a great time.

We dont normally review where we stay but having read the negative reviews on this hotel before we went we felt the need to leave our feedback as we cant understand how some pople can be so nit picky.

We stayed here six years ago before the hotel was refurbished and we must say the makeover which the hotel has undergone has vastly improved its standards and made our stay even more enjoyable.

The staff were friendly, and we had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and we had no complaints at either. The hotel was extremley busy and the bar seemed full and yet servicce did not seem to be effected, therefore i dont understand some guests comments on the overall quality of this hotel.

We paid a reasonable price and booked a standard double and the bedroom was more than adequate for us, very clean, modern and all the facilities you would expect from a 3 star hotel ,(iron and ironing board, tv, tea and coffee, room service the list goes on....)

It has a central location and is in a busy city so yes there is noise on an evening from roads, bars etc but thats what one would expect in a city centre hotel i dont know one hotel where i have stayed in the city which hasn't had some kind of noise. Further more there is quiet rooms available if you request them, but we never did because we were out most of the night anytime.

I have stayed all over england on business and in many travel inns, premier inns and jurys inns and this hotel is not at all like any of those chain hotels is BETTER. The hotel has a warm and friendly apperance and is unique and quirky in parts. Its not like a travel inn, where it doesnt matter which hotel in the world you stay in the rooms are all identical!!!.

Yes you do get what you pay for and this hotel does exactly what it says on the tin and more.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Only stayed one night but if we need to stay in Leed again will certainly use this hotel. Can't understand some of the more negative reviews on here although only based on one night's stay our experience was of a friendly, clean, well appointed, well run establishment. Great staff too!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

stayed here for three nights with my partner and found it a pleasent hotel, the staff could not do enough for you, the food was first class along with the service, room was clean what more could you ask for.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

I had lunch in the restaurant, which was really nice. Wish I'd had the cream tea, it looked amazing! Room wasn't super plush, but clean and well presented, totally adequate for the money. I detest that fake friendliness, so I found the staff had the right balance of doing their job efficiently, but not in your face perky, (never good to be too perky at breakfast after a night on the tiles).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

I took my children to the hotel to stay while visiting friends in the area.I have stayed here before and both of the times i have stayed I found the hotel clean and well appointed. The staff couldn't do enough to help, especially in the restauarant as my daughter is 11 and a vegatarin who is extremely picky about the food she eats, with the waiters help we combined bits of other dishes on the menu to create a meal that she would eat - and the chef was happy to do this for us, my son ordered a dish (he's 8) and when he tried it he didn't like it - no problem at all they changed the food for something else! How many restaurants would do that?! The food was lovely and the portions where substantial, I virtually rolled out of the door after!
The rooms were nice and clean - there was a little noise but not much and what do you expect with a central location in a large busy city? it certainly was not noisey enough to annoy me or disturb my sleep.
All in all I would definately stay here again when visiting Leeds.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my mum and my 5 month baby. Because my daughter is so young, we had a pram with us and although there is a lift, there are a few steps to get to it. This means that it is not disabled friendly. We were given a room on the 2nd floor on the corner of the hotel facing The Bridge gay club.

The room was small and old fashioned. The bed was comfy. We stayed for 3 nights and the sheets weren't changed once. I know because I spilled some water in a certain spot and it was still there the next day. When I had thought they changed it I checked the bottom of the bed and the exact stain was still there, they had just turned the sheet around! Housekeeping were also very slow to get around the rooms as sometimes we would go out for the day, come back, and they would still be on the same room.

It was very difficult to get to sleep because our room directly faced the noisy clubs across the road. When we complained to the front desk and asked if we could get a free upgrade to a king room (as we have read that many people have been offered on various review sites) in order to stop the noise as we have a small baby, they ignored our request and were very rude.

The breakfast was really cold and stale. We'd paid for a full English but the breakfast was a cold buffet of congealed baked beans, cheap sausage, rubbery eggs and hard fried bread. It was only on the last day that we were given a specially cooked breakfast as there was no one else in the dining room. The service was also poor here because the women never offered us eggs quick enough. So by the time I was offered the option of fried eggs I had already finished my breakfast.

We paid a lot of money for this room, so were disgusted by the service we were given. The main plus point of this hotel is the central location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Deputyman, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
I am very sorry but we have no records of you ever staying with us based on your comments. The room you imply you stayed in is a king size room although why an upgrade to a king size room would be required whilst staying with your Mother I am not sure, as we do have family bedrooms available. I would add all second floor front rooms have indeed been refurbished. To reassure your concerns, the hotel does have a disabled ramp for when wheelchair excess is required to our bedrooms, we take disability awareness very seriously. It is actually harder for the housekeeping staff to turn a dirty sheet rather than change it completely, so your comment is most odd as to the alleged poor housekeeping practises. Our housekeeping staff take approx 1/2 to 3/4 to clean a room and usually finish work, daily at between 2 pm and 3pm, again your comment is most odd. I note you have stayed in another Leeds Hotel and also had problems which is regrettable considering your details state you live in Leeds. I apologise that your stay was such a disappointing one and that you did not address any of your concerns with one of our Guest Relation Mangers throughout your alleged 3 day stay.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

in short this hotel is awful and poor value for money.. the bed was too small and badly advertised on lastmin.com (these rooms are not for 2 unless you are a very cosy couple).. the walls were thin.. could hear music from nearby pubs until around 4pm and could hear conversations from the room next door.. the rooms were too hot - no air con.. the refurbishment has only really happened at front of house in main reception.. the hotel quality is more of a 2* travel inn.. don’t stay here stay at the park plaza instead, the few mins extra walking is actually worth it..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Deputyman, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
I am sorry you found the room not to your liking. The small double is sold as a spacious single or a cosy double as you have indicated. However standard doubles were available but the price was some 30% higher. I am sorry that this was not clear in the details.

The hotel is not purpose built and is over 100 years old and the walls are actually very thick I am a loss to explain the noise you experienced. The hotel does only have air conditioning in public areas although all rooms have ceiling fans, as detailed on all web sites.

We have refurbished over 90% of the bedrooms in addition to the full refurbishment of the public areas. I am very sorry that your stay was not a pleasant one, I am sure that had you chosen a double bedroom or indeed a king size room that your experience with us would have been to your complete satisfaction.

Been to Cosmopolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!