“Great location and excellent staff” 4 of 5 stars

Cosmopolitan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lower Briggate, Leeds LS1 4AE, England (Holbeck)   |
Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
London, United Kingdom
“Great location and excellent staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Have stayed at short notice at the Cosmopolitan twice in the past few months - generally when going out with friends in Leeds and wanted an easy base to get ready in and get back to; which I think at weekends it gets used a lot as by visitors to the city.
Rooms are a good size, clean and co-ordinated - decent bathrooms, plenty of hot water. Plus excellent wi-fi.
Best of all the staff, really helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about their city.
Only warning to travellers it's situated at the bottom of Briggate which has a number of bars and clubs, which can be noisy - so possibly not the choice for a quiet break; but perfect if you want to have some fun.

Room Tip: It still has smoking rooms - which is a rareity these days!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I was booked into this hotel through work to attend a training course in the city. On arrival I was informed that my booking had been upgraded from single to small double for which i thanked the receptionist. My room was on the 1st floor at the rear of the hotel and as the typed of room suggests was a small room. At the rear of the hotel is a bar/club where people congregate outside smoking and the bar points it speakers outside to provide music. Whilst the music may be good the sound levels are such that even with the hotel room windows closed it was impossible to block out the noise. I complained and the receptionist managed to move me to another part of the hotel. Although i managed to get away from the music noise my sleep quality was still poor due to a very amorous couple in the next room, the rooms could definitely do with better sound proofing I ate in the restaurant on the Sunday evening and my first choice (Thai curry) was not available as they had run out of ingredients, my second choice pasta chicken was delayed as they ran out of cream and had to send someone out to buy it. There must not have been many residents on the first night (Sunday) as breakfast on the Monday was cooked to order, although the chef does need to understand that when sausages are cooked they go brown, the sausage served with breakfast was was so pale it looked raw. The following two mornings as more guests staying the breakfast was buffet style. For location the hotel is very handy only a few minutes walk from the station and the shopping areas.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed over in Leeds for 1 night to meet up with some old friends and found this place at quite short notice. It's a nice & clean hotel and the room was small (single) but well appointed with a spotless en-suite. The only downside was the lack of parking facilities, the nearby multi-story has to make do, but the hotel do offer discounted tickets for this. I would recommend travel by train if staying here, the station is only 400 metres away.

Room Tip: Travel by train when staying here.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel once in the past and did not have the best review on this hotel, however I thought I would give this hotel another chance and I am very happy I did this.
On Sunday I booked the executive king room I would recommend anyone to pay that little extra because wow these rooms are lovely!
On arrival the hotel had been very busy the night before the gentleman on the desk did not hesitate to take my bags and look after them while I went around Leeds while my room was been organised.
I then came back to the hotel at 3pm they explained my room may not be ready, however it was I collected my bags and went up to my room 122. It was delightful, lovely comfy bed with plenty of pillows and cushions. I went into the bathroom had some lovely toiletries which I ran myself a night big bubble bath before my night out that was ahead of me. I then put then tv on while getting ready. I went out and then came back to the hotel and had one of the best sleeps!
This hotel is perfect for the price!
I will be staying here every time now when I come to Leeds for my nights out!
In fact I already have three more stays booked in advance can't wait!
Thank you Cosmopolitan and the staff for a wonderful stay :) x

Room Tip: The only little issue you may have is that it is slightly noisy due to the bars near by but this is...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Typical of older hotels, beyond the lobby and dining/bar area, the hotel is pretty shabby.

I was given a smoking room, which stank of stale smoke.

There was a club nearby with loud music, which went on until 4am I asked for another room, but was told the hotel was full. There weren't many people around for a full hotel.

The wireless didn't work at all.

There was no hot water in the morning.

On the positive side, the staff were generally pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
I am sorry that your stay was not to your expectations.

The hotel has just completed the complete refurbishment of 17 bedrooms and all our rooms are well maintained and it is disappointing you felt that the hotel was shabby. I am sorry that you were allocated an older smoking room and that we were unable to move your room. The hotel was indeed fully booked as you were informed. The majority of guests were at an event at the Leeds Arena and this would be why the hotel appeared quiet.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise which midweek is very unusual and we are not aware of other guests experiencing this problem. I have copied your comment to the local EHO as they are investigating noise problems as this is out of the Hotels control sadly.

As we have advised by e-mail we were unable to find any fault with the hot water upon you leaving. There can be a delay in hot water in the shower but on checking it was found to be to the correct temperature and I am sorry that this added to your poor stay with us. The wi-fi is available throughout the building and there are 8 routers and it can simply be an individual computers that does not allow connection to a public wi-fi zone rather than our system failing as this is very rare with the blanket coverage we have.

I am pleased that you found the staff to be pleasant and helpful and I have contacted you directly to try and resolve your complaint to your satisfaction and await your reply.
Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on the 22/06/14 for 1 night while we went to see Eric Clapton at the first direct arena
The room was clean and comfortable 20 minuet walk to the arena or £5.70 in a taxi.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I have stayed at the Cosmopolitan many times and find it the most convenient place to stay in the City. The rooms are clean,comfortable,bar area great! The staff are so friendly and go out of their way to ensure you have all you require.
The room rate is very reasonable and there is a consistency within the hotel of good standards, everytime I visit , its an lovely experience and I recommend the cosmopolitan to everyone. Thanks again for another great visit.
Ali H

Room Tip: Ask reception, they will always do their best for you and give you the best room available at bookin...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Cosmopolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!