“Much better than I was expecting” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #38 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Much better than I was expecting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I didn't have very high expectations, but I was more than happy with the hotel and would visit again.

Check in was quick and easy, nice staff and everything explained fully.

We had a Suite and it was a very good size, double bed, sofa - also a sofa bed, another chair to sit on and a stool. Massive TV, kettle, tea, coffee and hot chocolate, two free bottles of water, a bottle of red wine and some fruit with raspberry sauce for dipping...a very nice touch. we were on the 11th floor an heard no noise from outside. With being in a suite we had free wi-fi, which worked well.

We had breakfast included, which was slightly disappointing, hence only 4 stars instead of 5. There was a good choice but the food wasn't that high a quality for the price if I'd paid separately. There was cereal, yoghurts, fresh fruit, meats and cheese, jucies, toast, croissants, muffins and the full hot breakfasts items you would expect, so a good choice but not everything tasted that good.

All in all I was pleased and would stay again

• Stayed July 2014
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Saral
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments online via Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Great to hear that you enjoyed your allocated Suite and in particular enjoyed your complimentary offerings.
I have noted your feedback in regards to your Hilton Breakfast, I am sorry to read of your disappointment.
Thank you, once again for your valued and kind feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Hilton Leeds City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Needs renovation. Service good. the experience in the restaurant for both breakfast and dinner was very good. Check in and out was find, but I was not greeted as a Hilton Honors guest. WiFi did not work well or correctly, so that the sporadic and complicated connection to internet made it a hassle. The bathroom was moldy and the shower control and temperature control were more than inconvenient. Even though there were instructions on the wall, it was not possible to take a shower without scalding oneself. This should be repaired. The bed was comfortable, but moved all over the room every time you turned over. When I arrived, the toilet was filthy from the guest before me and it was only till the next day that I could use it. It was also difficult to find the hotel as a pedestrian arriving by bus from the airport. There are many signs in the city for hotels, but the vicinity to the train station would let one assume that there would be signs leading to it. After walking around in the dark and rain for over 30 minutes, I finally saw the lighted Hilton sign which enabled me to find the hotel. Late check- in worked find, but although a sign said I could have something to eat, it was not possible. And I was 15 minutes before kitchen closing. So I walked back to the train station to get a hamburger at a fast food restaurant which is definitely not my taste. I might return, but hope the next staywill be better.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear N2136IEwilliamb
Please be assured that all your feedback has been noted and shared with the relevant Heads of Department.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment in locating our hotel.
Thank you, once again for your valued feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Just had a lovely overnight stay here. Room was nice, very clean, lovely bathroom, Breakfast had plenty of variety, lunch was lovely, staff very friendly.
5 mins from station and very central for shopping, bars etc.....will return soon

Dear julieparr

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind comments online via Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Great to hear that you enjoyed your allocated room, Hilton Breakfast and found my team welcoming.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The food and service in the restaurant cannot be faulted, and I've stayed with Hilton in several places and at this one before and found them never less than good, BUT it was the little things here......no face cloths in the room, reception forgot to order my paper (tho' they did sort it eventually) shower floor was slippery when wet, and TV control was missing a battery cover. Biggest crime ? no biscuits on hospitality tray. Great service and food in the restaurant though !!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear paddy5658
Great to hear that you enjoyed the food and service offered to you via our City 3 Restaurant.
I have noted your concerns and shared them with the relevant Heads of Department for immediate action to be taken.
We do have Duty Management available on a 24/7 basis, contactable via Reception who would have been delighted to speak to you on a more personal level in regards to your concerns, had you highlighted your concerns at the time of your stay.
We do not offer biscuits as Hilton Standard in any of our guest rooms. I am sorry for your disappointment.

York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed here on business and was shocked to note that the price was £189 per night! The state of the room really didn't reflect this - no bath, the shower only had half a screen (meaning the floor gets wet when you shower), there was only one toilet roll which ran out very quickly! To make matters worse there was a moth in the room - but I soon sorted that out. The beds were very comfy though.

To use the lifts you had to use a keycard which is a pain as your keycard will only work for your floor so when a group of 10 of us got in the lift, we all had to put our keycards in the lift to select the floor - by which time, the lift had flown past the floor! Also, on our return to the hotel at 230am, the doors were locked and we had to tell them our room numbers. Although there was about 10 of us, he insisted on getting 4 room numbers (but didn't check our names, nor did he want all 10 of our numbers so I'm not sure what their security policies are!).

The reception is on the 3rd floor which is really confusing and fooled us a couple of times when we pressed level 0.

The breakfast and dinner was really tasty and the staff were very friendly though.

Dear Kirk B
I am sorry to read that your room allocation did not meet with your expectations. Please be assured that I have shared all your feedback with the relevant Heads of Department. Apologies for the disappointment caused to you. We do have Duty Management available on a 24/7 basis, contactable via Reception who would have been delighted to assist you with your concerns, had you highlighted your concerns at the time of your stay with us.
On a lighter note, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Hilton Breakfast and Dinner during your stay with us and found my team friendly.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were in Leeds for 2 concerts on consecutive nights: Eric Clapton then The Eagles so staying at the Hilton which was very convenient for the arena was spot on. The room was very clean and comfortable and the bathroom had all the expected freebies. Due to a misunderstanding about the time breakfast was finished serving we came down to find it was over but the manager assured us it was no problem & ensured we were provided with a very good breakfast choice. The serving staff, considering we had delayed THEIR breakfast were very friendly and helpful and did not make us feel uncomfortable at all. Full marks for customer relations!

Room Tip: We just asked at the desk for a quiet room and that's what we got!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Therese B
Delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, finding our hotel central to the First Direct Arena, which I will agree with you is a fabulous venue. I do hope that you enjoyed your gigs, I know that I particularly enjoyed the Eagles too. Superb!!
Great to hear that you also enjoyed your allocated room. Nice to hear that my Breakfast team were accommodating to your needs and were hospitable to you when arriving for breakfast. You are very welcome.
Thank you, once again for your valued and kind feedback, your loyalty to Hilton is very much appreciated, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is the fourth or fifth time I've stayed here in the last few years (always on business). I picked the Hilton as an HHonors member, but to be honest the hotel seems to have been going consistently downhill and quite frankly I think it's time to forgo the points and just have a better stay.

To be fair, the lobby and reception is good and very clean, the food is as you would expect and reasonable, as is the breakfast. However, that was pretty much where it ended. My room, on the 11th floor, was small and rather dated. Worst of all it really didn't smell good; somewhat like stale BO and cigarettes. A bit like a drab night club at closing time! Fortunately it was only one night. It used to be so much better.

The gym/pool area has also gone downhill and the pool area and changing rooms were quite frankly filthy; I couldn't wait to get out of there. These are such easy things to fix, but as a regular hotel stayer across the UK and World, I always think it is a sign of just not caring.

So, if you want a hotel for one night in the centre and desperate for the HH rewards then this is for you. Otherwise, I think it's tie to start looking at the alternatives.....sorry.

Room Tip: Don't put up with a poor room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Daniel_Lon
Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback online via Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Your feedback has been noted. I am sorry to read of your disappointment that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We do have Duty Management available contactable via Reception on a 24/7 basis, who would have been delighted to discuss your concerns with you at the time of your stay and ensure that you were truly happy.
Thank you, once again for your valued feedback.

Hilton Leeds City

Been to Hilton Leeds City? Share your experiences!